Anderson out, faces tough choices

Big-boned Manchester United midfielder Anderson Luís de Abreu Oliveira is set to miss at least five weeks of the Premier League run-in with a torn hamstring, confirmed manager Sir Alex Ferguson on Wednesday. The fresh injury, which adds to a growing list of malevolence suffered by the midfielder in his time at Old Trafford, comes barely days after the Brazilian returned to Manchester United’s squad for matches against Athletic Bilbao and West Bromwich Albion.

“Ando could be out for four or five weeks due to his hamstring,” said Ferguson ahead of United’s Europa League second leg tie with Athletic.

“Some hamstrings are relatively straightforward but we have to wait and see how he is in the next week or so to get a better idea of where we stand with him.”

Anderson’s injury is the latest in a calamitous series of absences over the past four and a half years following a €30 million transfer from Porto. The midfielder has subsequently appeared in barely 30 per cent of United’s games during his time with the club. Critics of a far crueller persuasion than United Rant might be thankful given the 23-year-old’s inconsistencies.

But could frequent injuries be something to do with Brazilian’s hard-living lifestyle? After all, during previous absences the 23-year-old has been caught partying on the Algarve, been involved in a high-speed car crash, and seemingly piled on far too much weight. Little needs said about Anderson’s less salubrious habits.

It has Rant wondering whether the burger eating Brazilian might face a tough choice or four during his latest period of recuperation …

Anderson

Sharing is caring

Comments

  1. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    Wish I could remember that twats name… the one that was telling us all, how special Anderson was, and how we were signing a future world player of the year.

    Fuckin hell.

    • RedDevilInAz says

      Tim Vickery the BBC South American representative really liked Anderson after the 2005 FIFA under 17 championship. But he also said that most South American player need lots of adjustment to the European game.

      • richard says

        Who didn’t? Keep in mind that he was playing in a more advanced position than he has been allowed at United. His days in Portugal where equally as exciting –once again playing in a forward position.

  2. stan says

    The guys only 23, hes got plenty of time to prove his worth. We all know the talents there just needs to stay injury free and abit more consistent and he could be world class.

    Also these pics are old, hes shed alot of weight and had a haircut.

    Remember what Fletcher was doing at that age or were you guys a Chelsea supporter back then?

      • DeadRevel says

        Nani was performing at a lower standard than Anderson for the first 3 years at United. And he isn’t even consistent now. Which is why he is generally second choice to Valencia.

        I don’t think Ando will make it but I defnitely consider that a shame because on form he is a great player and his partnership with Clev early in the season looked very exciting.

        If we get rid of BErba and Ando though, it seems inevitable we will bring a midfielder in.

      • richard says

        Apples and Oranges my friend. Anderson was a forward prior to joining United. He had great games in Portugal and was OUTSTANDING in the FIFA U17 WC. He is not a MF player and certainly not a defensive MF player.

    • Will says

      I’m afraid I don’t think Anderson will ever cut it at United. He lacks the application and doesn’t appear to be the brightest spark.

  3. Pikey McScumPikey McScum says

    If it wasn’t for the constant injuries I’d argue in favour of keeping him, as I still have hope he could still be as important to the team as Fletcher is now. And few would have thought that possible 5 or 6 years ago

    • says

      Sid – they are, somebody on twitter confirmed they have one in their neck of the woods. Some shitehole I can’t remember where. But you know Ando would seek it out….

  4. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    Commenter said:
    The guys only 23, hes got plenty of time to prove his worth. We all know the talents there just needs to stay injury free and abit more consistent and he could be world class.
    Also these pics are old, hes shed alot of weight and had a haircut.
    Remember what Fletcher was doing at that age or were you guys a Chelsea supporter back then?

    Yeah, how much did we pay for Fletcher again?
    Sort yourself out Mate… we didn’t pay 20 odd million quid, for him to fuck about for 5 years… and MAYBE, one day become a decent player.

    “Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don’t need badges. I don’t have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching’ tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you.”

  5. han says

    Commenter said:
    The guys only 23, hes got plenty of time to prove his worth. We all know the talents there just needs to stay injury free and abit more consistent and he could be world class.

    Also these pics are old, hes shed alot of weight and had a haircut.

    Remember what Fletcher was doing at that age or were you guys a Chelsea supporter back then?

    the only organisation to benefit from lardarse is mc Dees
    he is over rated and doesn’t deserve a starting berth – he has had sufficient time to prove he can cut it but has failed
    and as with all new players, fans generally will give him a chance to show his worth, but anderson has shown that he just cannot be consistent

  6. baggio365 says

    while i agree that ando hasnt really done much for us, you have to admit in his first season he showed a lot of promise

    he was signed as a no 10 in the ronaldinho/kaka/zidane mould. instead he has been deployed for most of his united career as a deep lying playmaker or a box to box kind of player. and the kid has suffered with a lot of injuries. i dont think we should write him off just yet.

  7. stan says

    It doesnt matter how long a players been here or how expensive or cheap he may have been, the bottom line is he plays for Utd and SAF saw something in him to get him to OT. So who are you to say hes crap?

    Andersons only 23! He has the ability that many players can only dream of. Like I said earlier he only needs to stay injury free and be abit more consistent and we are sure to see the Anderson that destroyed teams.

    Ando has something Fletch and some of the others didnt have at that age – the physique, speed, strength and a crazy left foot.

  8. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    Stop talking shit!
    It’s not his talent anyone is questioning… it’s his dedication to the cause… he doesn’t put enough effort in… he’s more concerned with having a good time.
    And of course it matters how much we paid and how long he’s been here… don’t be ridiculous…
    When you pay a lot of money for a player… at the very least, you expect a certain level of professionalism… and in a young player, you expect him to work hard and develop… Anderson may have had some injuries which have set him back, but he’s not progressed at all since he arrived… and talk about his, “crazy left foot”???… yeah, how many goals has he bagged with that “crazy left foot” of his?… “lazy club foot” is more like.
    And by the way… I’m a fan… that’s all I need to be to have an opinion… right?
    Anderson has been a rubbish signing… period! He’s right up there with Veron, Hargreaves, and Forlan, as expensive flops… but Veron was a class player that just didn’t fit… Hargreaves was a lesson in, “check thoroughly under the hood” before you buy… and Forlan may not have made it, but he never stopped trying, and that made him popular, in spite of his failure… if Anderson left tomorrow, he would leave having made no impact at all… in what? 4 years?… not good enough… and I bet if you offered Ferguson his money back, he’d take your arm off!

    “Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don’t need badges. I don’t have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching’ tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you.”

  9. says

    a disgrace of a man. a total gold digger, a mercenary maximising on one of the best deals around.
    a man who continually runs away from the ball or either shuffles it sidewards. a man who cannot tackle, shoot, pass, run or even recognise that round thing called a ball.
    utterly lacking in positional sense, team work or desire.
    a total pussy – who’s engine runs out after 20 mins after which he wanders around aimlessly sniffing out pork pies and a Big Tasty.
    his so-called mazy runs are like he is blind, drink and with one leg.
    three or so goals in four years is A DISGRACE
    he lacks everything that is needed to be a footballer. even kleberson was better.
    anderson offers nothing – he never has.
    he has never shit on fabregas, it was hargo and fletcher who did that. he is contributed to the downfall of Carrick and Fletcher – and Scholes who have to do his dirty work by tracking back, covering his shit passes and shots.
    dropped by united, dropped by his country – and eclipsed by Lucas at Liverpool.
    an utter cunt. rarely has a player made me so angry. i actually fucking hate the fucking twat.

    Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking.
    Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice – Steven Jobs

    • DeadRevel says

      What a dipshit. That comment proves you are not capable of a rational though regarding Anderson so your opinion should be ignored.

  10. says

    sorry guys but he really winds me up. i’m pretty chilled out about most things in life but if there is one thing that I have no time for is wasted talent – at work, family or friends, and this cunt is a lazy son of a bitch.

    physically, when he burst on the scene we thought this cunt is gonna be an attacking Edgar Davids, low centre of gravity, fiery, strong, active, a sense of urgency but very skilful.

    what we got is a carthorse – a brazilian playboy wannabe who simply does not give a fuck about his body, his image, his club or his career – only how many onion rings he can stuff in his cake hole.

    carrick’s return to form is no doubt helped by the dissapearance of that random, pineapple headed dweeb not ruining every decent passing move in midfield. evra plays much better when he does not have to cover for Anderson’s trips for a Burger King around the 60th minute.

    not only is he a spazmo himself but he ruins the games of other people and leaves us hopelessly exposed in left midfield and defence.

    Alf, Han, Ed, Berny, are all right – this guy is just a fat clown, how the fuck dare he even where that shirt. Makes me very angry (as you can tell).

  11. Twisted Blood says

    I guess I’m in the “he’s only 23″ bracket here. He’s had flashes and i suppose more should be expected from a 20.3 million pound player. I know it’s 30 million euros on United’s books but the exchange rate has shifted quite a bit in four and a half years. fact is, we’ve got him, the boy’s got talent and there was a spark as if he’d found himself when playing with TC23. i’d give that pairing another chance before consigning old Ando to oblivion. And he has slimmed down, you said it yourself on the Cast. As for the revisonist history on Ando and Hargo, we don’t win the league and CL double without those guys and Ando took his penalty with class in the Final in Moscow. Is the combined cost of those 2, about 37 million quid worth that magical night? Ask the oligarch.

    • says

      Twisted Blood – no, I’m not engaging in revision, you are if you think Anderson contributed seriously to that 2008 Champions League win – he played 15 minutes.

      I’m very much about the here, now and future. Anderson’s contribution over the piece (5 years, more than 100 games) does not justify the spend, and I’m not of the opinion that its not worth continuing to try. People keep saying ‘he’ll come good’ or ‘look what he did in this game’. Fair enough, but there’s more than 100 games evidence of mediocrity, inconsistency, and injury to stack up against the odd good game here and there. How long is enough. If it’s not 5 years, 100 games what is ok. 10 years, 200 games?

  12. uncleknobheadffsuncleknobheadforfucksake says

    danni is right except for the bit where he uses andershite to excuse other dross like hargreaves and fletchshite

  13. Sidsidney says

    Ed said:
    Sid – they are, somebody on twitter confirmed they have one in their neck of the woods. Some shitehole I can’t remember where. But you know Ando would seek it out….

    I went on the Wimpy website… and the nearest one to me is in Doncaster
    Now that is a prrroper shithole

  14. says

    Commenter said:
    Nani was performing at a lower standard than Anderson for the first 3 years at United. And he isn’t even consistent now. Which is why he is generally second choice to Valencia.

    I don’t think Ando will make it but I defnitely consider that a shame because on form he is a great player and his partnership with Clev early in the season looked very exciting.

    If we get rid of BErba and Ando though, it seems inevitable we will bring a midfielder in.

    bullshit.

    explain to us how in any shape or form Anderson was ever better or performed consistently than Nani? ever.

    explain to us why by any possible measure Anderson is “great”?

    explain to us how his partnership during those games with Cleverly was “exciting”?

    when had Anderson ever taken the midfield by the scruff of the neck and dominated anyone? don’t go on about fabregas and gerrard because that was either Hargo or Fletcher carrying his fat arse.

    did you see the way Lucas RUINED him in the 1-4 defeat at OT. So much so that The Times took the piss out of Anderson pleading to the bench for help at half time! That’s what he is – a coward, a pussy, a mercenary, a fraud, a side shuffler – a complete joke of a player.

    this is an exciting player? 4 league goals in over 83 league apperances for a Samba skilled Brazilian.

    he was dropped by Brazil in 2008 and has NEVER played since. Why, because he is SHIT.

    “exciting with Cleverley”, get the fuck out of here. he was exciting with Fletcher and Hargreaves until we all realised that actually he was just Fletcher’s and Hargo’s midfield bitch and after 60 mins the fat arsed burger basher was worn out and started wandering randomly like a drink donkey chasing a balloon. he is truly awful.

    As for Nani, Anderson has NEVER shown world class talent. Nani was instrumental in the last series of titles, utterly instrumental. Sure, he has gone off the boil this season but at least he has shown the world that he is a game changer, a game winner and a man who gives a shit.

    Put it like this – Nani is faster, fitter, a better finisher, a better team player, stronger, can tackle better, can actually beat a man and has a better attitude than Anderson. There is nothing that Anderson can do that by any measure is close to what Nani can do other perhaps eat Pringles.

    Quite frankly, Vidic, Rio and Rooney should take him behind the skips at Carrington and kick the fuck out of him. I don’t approve of violence but sometime it is the only way.

  15. says

    sidney said:
    Got to admire Dannii’s passion for hating Ando

    He’s not even this passionate about the new iPad

    It’s more of an iPad2 on steriods rather than a properly new toy. For all it’s faults, the iPad has changed my life. I only ever log onto the desktop to watch a livestream.

    Otherwise in terms of sitting on train, sofa or generally arsing about and wanting to surf, it shits on a laptop, netbook and obviously a desktop.

    it is so damn fast and it has never ever crashed. sure the apple nazi’s control you but at the end of the day, I can still post on Rant via the iPad and sit in bed and sign into RedTube and crack one out if I want to with ease.

    if you are a technospacker like me, iPad is quality. RIP Steve Jobs.

  16. says

    uncleknobheadforfucksake said:
    there he goes again giving fletchshite and hargreaves undeserved praise

    look Unc, I”m not saying any of them are robson, keane or ince but at least they have contributed. hargo was very good but was fucked and therefore a shit buy. fletcher has been at times brilliant – but admittedly he is limited. it just proves my point, Anderwank has more talent than any of these but he is a lazy arsed shit box and should be dropped in the Pacific Ocean.

  17. Sidsidney says

    danniitronix said:
    It’s more of an iPad2 on steriods rather than a properly new toy. For all it’s faults, the iPad has changed my life. I only ever log onto the desktop to watch a livestream.

    Otherwise in terms of sitting on train, sofa or generally arsing about and wanting to surf, it shits on a laptop, netbook and obviously a desktop.

    it is so damn fast and it has never ever crashed. sure the apple nazi’s control you but at the end of the day, I can still post on Rant via the iPad and sit in bed and sign into RedTube and crack one out if I want to with ease.

    if you are a technospacker like me, iPad is quality. RIP Steve Jobs.

    How can an iPad change your life

    A liver transplant, that would change your life… Being given the power of sight after years of darkness, that would change your life… Being able to crack one off in bed ‘cos you’ve got an ipad… I suppose you’ve got a point

  18. sheesh says

    danniitronix said:
    It’s more of an iPad2 on steriods rather than a properly new toy. For all it’s faults, the iPad has changed my life. I only ever log onto the desktop to watch a livestream.
    Otherwise in terms of sitting on train, sofa or generally arsing about and wanting to surf, it shits on a laptop, netbook and obviously a desktop.
    it is so damn fast and it has never ever crashed. sure the apple nazi’s control you but at the end of the day, I can still post on Rant via the iPad and sit in bed and sign into RedTube and crack one out if I want to with ease.
    if you are a technospacker like me, iPad is quality. RIP Steve Jobs.

    Until there comes a day when you can do everything on an iPad that you can already do on a laptop, like save tons of music and kick back and listen to it, I see little point in buying one – unless you travel around a lot I suppose.
    You can always access the Internet on your phone if you’re desperate. Like if you’re on the toilet or something.
    There are far better sites out there than RedTube, or so I have been told.

  19. Pikey McScumPikey McScum says

    Love how these threads descend into utter madness

    But no longer as a result of any intervention from me…

  20. says

    sidney said:
    How can an iPad change your life

    A liver transplant, that would change your life… Being given the power of sight after years of darkness, that would change your life… Being able to crack one off in bed ‘cos you’ve got an ipad… I suppose you’ve got a point

    Sid – you know what I mean, obviously I didnt mean that in a literal sense ffs

    … But to be fair the iPad itself is a game changer in every way possible. For a thick techno cunt like me it’s massive and I completely support all those supporters who pitched tents and waited all night for a piece of steve’s legacy.

  21. says

    sheesh said:
    Until there comes a day when you can do everything on an iPad that you can already do on a laptop, like save tons of music and kick back and listen to it, I see little point in buying one – unless you travel around a lot I suppose.

    You can always access the Internet on your phone if you’re desperate. Like if you’re on the toilet or something.

    There are far better sites out there than RedTube, or so I have been told.

    They will never bundle all the shit in one device – but yep I travel a lot so good for me, any suggestions that top red tube and don’t require flash greatly received

  22. says

    Pikey McScum said:
    Love how these threads descend into utter madness

    But no longer as a result of any intervention from me…

    You have to face facts that the dark knight is an overrated pile of bum juice. End of.

  23. sheesh says

    danniitronix said:
    They will never bundle all the shit in one device – but yep I travel a lot so good for me, any suggestions that top red tube and don’t require flash greatly received

    I’d like to think that we are heading in that direction when you consider how we have moved from desktop computers to laptops and now onto tablets.

    I think there is enormous potential in the future of tablets. I just find that they’re a bit limited in functionality at the moment which is why I wouldn’t buy one right now (that, and they’re expensive). I’m sure the technology will be made available in future tablets to enable you to do a lot more than is possible at the moment.

  24. Sidsidney says

    sheesh said:
    I’d like to think that we are heading in that direction when you consider how we have moved from desktop computers to laptops and now onto tablets.

    I think there is enormous potential in the future of tablets. I just find that they’re a bit limited in functionality at the moment which is why I wouldn’t buy one right now (that, and they’re expensive). I’m sure the technology will be made available in future tablets to enable you to do a lot more than is possible at the moment.

    Zzzz

    I knew I shouldn’t have mentioned the new ipad

    I’d rather talk about Ando than Apple

  25. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    I believe that only in 20+ years will THE WORLD really appreciate the whole Apple thing. It’s changed millions of lives and it’s changed the way we live, whether you like that fact or not it’s true. It scares me just how go apple can become in the next 20 years!

  26. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    brianofnazareth said:
    I believe that only in 20+ years will THE WORLD really appreciate the whole Apple thing. It’s changed millions of lives and it’s changed the way we live, whether you like that fact or not it’s true. It scares me just how go apple can become in the next 20 years!

    What scares me is that all personal computing goes down the Apple road… where the tech/brand controls the consumer.

    “Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don’t need badges. I don’t have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching’ tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you.”

  27. Waxfoot says

    Anderson maks a great scapegoat doesn’t he? He’s not been a good buy financially, but on face value he’s not been anywhere near as bad as some people like to make out. If he can get fit and stay fit i reckon he’d be a top player for us. But that is a big ‘if’.

  28. han says

    Commenter said:
    Anderson maks a great scapegoat doesn’t he? He’s not been a good buy financially, but on face value he’s not been anywhere near as bad as some people like to make out. If he can get fit and stay fit i reckon he’d be a top player for us. But that is a big ‘if’.

    if your aunty had balls, she’d be your uncle …

  29. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    Commenter said:
    Well it’s good that noone really gives a shit about what you have to say Sir Will

    And who gives a shit, what you have to say?… Sir Dick!

  30. bman says

    I have to laugh at the argument that “Fergie ruined Anderson by playing him in a deeper MF position”, it’s the least fucking convincing possible defense you can make of the player. He is allergic to scoring goals, and has no shown no ability to make killer penetrating passes. How the fuck is he supposed to be some kind of attacking genius? If you want to argue that he can bodge it about in the middle, fine, I don’t agree but it’s at least plausible. Park, Fletcher, Carrick, Vidic and countless others rack up more goals and assists than him, so if attacking/creative MF is his best role, than Anderson truly is epically shit.

Leave a Reply

Login with your Social ID

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *