Injuries hit ahead of Basel visit

Sir Alex Ferguson will be without seven key players for tonight’s visit of FC Basel in the Champions League, as Manchester United attempt to record a first victory in this season’s competition. Ferguson confirmed that strikers Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernández will miss the tie, while Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling, Nemanja Vidić , Tom Cleverley and Rafael da Silva are also absent for last year’s finalists.

Fresh injury concerns this week add to a growing list of absentees at Old Trafford, although Ferguson was always likely to rotate his side against one of the competitions lesser lights. Indeed, with United – on paper at least – drawn in a relatively weak group, Ferguson may use early matches to ensure fringe squad players achieve some playing time.

To that end Dimitar Berbatov, Michael Owen, Anders Lindegaard and Park Ji-Sung could play, while Fábio da Silva is likely to come into the side at right-back. And although Ferguson insists that Basel will pose a threat, United supports will expect a much-changed side once again, with Ryan Giggs partnering Michael Carrick in an open midfield, and Phil Jones reprising his weekend role at the heart of United’s central defence.

“Having a squad gives them a better chance of winning things, so they’ve accepted (the squad system) a long time ago,” Ferguson said on Monday.

“And they want to do well when they get the opportunity because as a group we all want to do well. They all have a part to play in the context of the number of games you have in the Premier League, Champions League, League Cup, FA Cup, it’s an exhausting season unless you use your squad. We have been consistent in the Champions League, our form away from home has been outstanding and we hope we can do better this year and win it, that’s the aim of this club all the time.”

“They’ve always been among the premier teams from Switzerland [which] has been producing very good young players for quite a few years now. Basel too have very good experience in Europe, so I expect to see that from them tomorrow.”

In Basel United faces an attractive side, unlike – some might argue – the Swiss national side at last summer’s World Cup in South Africa. Yet the odds seem stacked against the Swiss, with United having won 32 and drawn just three in an unbeaten streak at Old Trafford that dates back to Chelsea’s controversial win in April 2010.

Yet in Alexander Frei, Basel boasts a striker whose record at both club and international level is impressive. The locally-born forward has scored 48 times in 64 games since returning from Borussia Dortmund in 2009, while he has a one-in-two record over 84 international caps for Switzerland.

“We’re coming here as outsiders,” Frei is told Uefa.com.

“We’re not expecting to make the impossible possible, but why shouldn’t we achieve something? We’re going to be fully committed and give 100 per cent for the whole 90 minutes and we’ll see what happens.

“When I left Borussia Dortmund for Basel, I was hoping to experience Champions League fever again, and I’ve been able to do so twice in two seasons. I’d love to play on at this level for another three or four years to hopefully play at other big European grounds too like Barcelona’s and [Real] Madrid’s.”

Meanwhile, German coach Thorsten Fink insists his side arrives at Old Trafford with a positive mindset, despite being classed as rank-outsiders. Basel earned a 1-1 draw on the last occasion these sides met in 2002. However, Fink is missing key playmaker, and outstanding young prospect,  Xherdan Shaqiri through suspension

Fink was a member of the Bayern Munich that United famously beat 2-1 at Camp Nou in the 1999 Champions League final. But the coach, who replaced former Tottenham Hotspur coach Christian Gross as Basel’s manager in 2009, inists the game is about points, not revenue for ’99.

“We haven’t come here to sit and watch, we’re here to play,” claimed Fink.

“It’s going to be a challenge but we’re looking to get something out the game. To do that we’ll need to be tight at the back as United are clearly very strong in attack. They’re one of the favourites for the competition alongside Barcelona, but we’ve got experience, good young players and we won’t play with any fear. We’ll see what happens.

“There is no question of me trying to get even for [the 1999 UEFA Champions League final defeat with FC Bayern München]. I’m here as a coach, I’m glad to be here and so are the players. I have great memories of that game even though we lost, as I always think that everything that hurts you makes you stronger.

“We went on to win the Champions League in 2001 so that 1999 defeat definitely made Bayern stronger. We played well that day [in 1999] but it proved that if you let your guard down for a moment against a team like United you get punished.”

And even if that United team contains a host of changes from the exciting side that won its first five Premier League games in a row, the smart money still lies on a comfortable win for the Reds tonight.

Match Facts
Manchester United v FC Basel, Champions League, Old Trafford, 7.45pm, 27  September 2011.

Likely Line-ups
United (4-4-2): Lindegaard; Fabio, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Park; Welbeck, Berbatov. Subs from: de Gea, Amos, Fletcher, Fryers, Pogba, Nani, Anderson, Diouf, Young, Owen.

Basel (4-4-2): Sommer; Steinhöfer, Dragovic, Abraham, Park; F Frei, Cabral, Xhaka, Zoua; A Frei, Streller. Subs from: Ajeti, Schürpf, Huggel, Streller, Yapi, Chipperfield, Stocker, Voser, Xhaka, Herzog, Kusunga, Colomba. Buess, Andrist, Kovac, Tembo, Wieser, Kwang-Ryong.

Form
United: WDWWD
Basel: WWWWD

Sharing is caring

Comments

  1. ltel says

    De Gea; Fabio, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra; Carrick, Anderson, Valencia, Giggs, Young; Welbeck.

    Subs: Lindegaard, Park, Nani, Fletcher, Owen, Berbatov, Diouf

  2. RobDiabloRobDiablo says

    I like it. Instead of putting out a side that “ought” to be good enough to win, as Sir Alex so often does, this lineup should give United exactly what it needs: victory and enough of a goal differential to be first or second in the group at the end of the day.

  3. han says

    wtf
    no berba up front? he did have a mare on saturday so i suppose it isn’t that shocking
    how many mirrors did he shatter during the summer ffs?
    welbeck is going to be too lite up front on his own
    we need to win our home games nice and early so the pressure is off in nov and december

  4. han says

    ltel said:
    young or giggs can go up top anytime they want.i actually hope its anderson who is pushed forward

    yes i agree but i just would prefer a partner for young welbeck – he is still too green to lead on his own

  5. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    That’s fuckin ridiculous… like him or not, Berbatov deserves better than this…

    Ferguson is being a right cunt.

  6. han says

    RobDiablo said:
    Yeah, the next thing Berbatov knows, he’ll be playing for Basel.

    well lets face it – he is further down the pecking order than doofus at the moment
    and yet he hasn’t slagged anyone/the club off wanting a move unlike that judas over at city who is also 4th/5th choice striker
    football – fucking hell
    i hope he gets an opportunity to get on tonite and score

  7. bman says

    Alfonso Bedoya said:
    That’s fuckin ridiculous… like him or not, Berbatov deserves better than this…

    Ferguson is being a right cunt.

    I agree it’s ridiculous, but what choice does Fergie have? Berba just doesn’t get it done. He had his chance this weekend. That said, I thought he and Welbeck might make a nice combo, disappointed that we probably won’t see it in action.

  8. han says

    ltel said:
    link there use it. why wouyld yo want a radio?

    im old fashioned
    used to listen to commentary on radio 2 as a wee lad and never lost the habit

  9. han says

    bman said:
    I agree it’s ridiculous, but what choice does Fergie have? Berba just doesn’t get it done. He had his chance this weekend. That said, I thought he and Welbeck might make a nice combo, disappointed that we probably won’t see it in action.

    that sounds like a rite bummerism

  10. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    bman said:
    I agree it’s ridiculous, but what choice does Fergie have? Berba just doesn’t get it done.

    Fine… then sell him…
    Ferguson keeps going on in the press about how “Berbatov is important, and has a roll to play”… bollocks… he’s just dickin him about… if Berbatov can’t even get in the team in a home game against Basel…ffs…

    “Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don’t need badges. I don’t have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching’ tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you.”

  11. bman says

    Fucking hell, I can’t watch and I have to follow the match on internet updates. I thought there was a mistake, because the the page said Welbeck scores from a Giggs assist twice in a row…

  12. han says

    bman said:
    Fucking hell, I can’t watch and I have to follow the match on internet updates. I thought there was a mistake, because the the page said Welbeck scores from a Giggs assist twice in a row…

    u can get updates on radio 5 – that is if you don’t mind listening to the commentary on the council house tenants

  13. bman says

    Welbeck is beginning to look like a bit of a goal machine, he’s really looking good so far this season – more dangerous than Hernandez even.

  14. bman says

    han said:
    u can get updates on radio 5 – that is if you don’t mind listening to the commentary on the council house tenants

    Don’t think that works outside the UK, I’m in the US at the moment…

  15. reddread says

    Jones, Young and De Gea were a waste of money, Welbeck will never be good enough for United and Giggs is past it. Anything I haven’t covered?

  16. ltel says

    bman said:
    Sounds like our defending is shite again, par for the course this season so far. It’s gonna cost us.

    we are missing our captian our rightback and rio is fucked,, once they are all back we will b sorted. vida is a massive miss for us

  17. Just1n says

    han said:
    tenants gonna be evicted
    2-0 to the krauts

    Hart made a great save but Mancini must be retarded to bring back Toure for such an important game.

  18. Just1n says

    danniitronix said:
    See how Anderson’s shit fitness is putting pressure on the others. Just look at the gormless dobbin – it’s Carry On Anderson!! Dopey twit.

    Bullshit Danni. Ando is having a good game. Your hatred is blinding you.

  19. uncleknobheadffsuncleknobheadforfucksake says

    who’s dom mcguinnes on talksport

    he says we’ve been woeful and their striker should have a hattrick

    who is he and is he right

  20. Sidsidney says

    uncleknobheadforfucksake said:
    who’s dom mcguinnes on talksport

    he says we’ve been woeful and their striker should have a hattrick

    who is he and is he right

    I heard that. The cunt is exaggerating. We’ve been a bit shonky, but it wasn’t as bad as he made out

  21. reddread says

    danniitronix said:
    See how Anderson’s shit fitness is putting pressure on the others. Just look at the gormless dobbin – it’s Carry On Anderson!! Dopey twit.

    Incorrect

  22. han says

    general consensus is that defensively not at the races and a better team would have scored at least with 1 of the clear cut chances presented by rio and co
    having said that, looking good as an attacking force

  23. says

    Red – I’m watching, what in the name of ARSE has he done over and above “average”. Why is he not tackling, not shouting for the ball, getting into a position that actually resembles something close to a tactical plan.

    Look at him! Just look at the spanner – he’s tired already!

  24. reddread says

    danniitronix said:
    Red – I’m watching, what in the name of ARSE has he done over and above “average”. Why is he not tackling, not shouting for the ball, getting into a position that actually resembles something close to a tactical plan.

    Look at him! Just look at the spanner – he’s tired already!

    Dude, give it a fucking rest, eh? Suppose their goals were his fault because he looked at the ball the wrong way on the halfway line…?

  25. says

    Exactly my friend, a progressivly weak midfield caused by a progressively shitter Anderson which we could see for the last 30mins of playing time puts pressure on the other two in the park. That weakens the defence and so they loose confidence because the chump anderson is contributing nothing – where the fuck was he for the goal – did he track back – put the opposition midfield under pressure. No he didn’t.

    Nothing going forward, nothing to shore up the back. Please don’t say he is playing well, when he is nothing more than average / shit, again.

  26. ltel says

    uncleknobheadforfucksake said:
    have we ever lost from 2-0 up under taggart

    whata question that is.. wrecking my brain and cant think of a time

  27. says

    Don’t worry Andersons “playing well”, “mazy runs”, “incisive passing”, “great engine”.

    He’s gonna get us out of this, I can feel it!!!

    It was obvious that Jones was gping to fuck up in Europe, said it two weeks ago. He thinks he is better than he is – mind you so do a lot of peoplem

  28. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    Jones has had a shocker all night!

    Any team that has J Sung-Park in it doesn’t deserve to win the champions league!!

    Is he really a pro footballer?

  29. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    ltel said:
    carrick and rio have been wank.. blame them danni

    Didn’t know Carrick was still on…

    The sooner Carrick and Park leave us we can move on to win the champions league!

  30. says

    brianofnazareth said:
    Didn’t know Carrick was still on…

    The sooner Carrick and Park leave us we can move on to win the champions league!

    If we cant beat a bunch of Toberone eating Swiss cunts after leading by 2 goals how the fuck are we supposed to win the Champions League Brian ?

  31. Just1n says

    Robbo said:
    If we cant beat a bunch of Toberone eating Swiss cunts after leading by 2 goals how the fuck are we supposed to win the Champions League Brian ?

    better to blame the guy who came on late in the 2nd half.

  32. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    danniitronix said:
    It was obvious that Jones was gping to fuck up in Europe, said it two weeks ago. He thinks he is better than he is

    Just like you.

  33. says

    Tel, Jones is an excellent prospect but he isn’t (yet) as good as what people say, Smalling is.

    82 mins of shit from Ando, 3 goals from three + seasons, ejected from Brazilian national squad by Lucas Leiva, but yeah he’s great.

    I saw Edgar Davids play at VDS’s testamonial a month ago with Saha, Giggs, Rooney + Bergkamp and Overmars.

    Davids box to boxed for 10 mins solid at the age of 40 and I saw what Anderson should have been like – but he is not, never in a million years.

  34. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    Rio is slowly moving to my hate list… put the ball in the box you passenger cunt!! he’s fucking slow and looks like he has arthritis. Ship the cunt out!

  35. han says

    thats right
    fucking have a go at berba our resident bulgarian whore
    just forget the shit served up by rio, carrick, anderson and evra for the 80 mins prior to him coming on

  36. dozer says

    ltel said:
    i think jones is beter than smaling now.. and he will be one of the best in th world

    After this you think Jones is better than Smalling? Nobody has looked more solid than Smalling and he’s great goint forward too.

  37. reddread says

    danniitronix said:

    It was obvious that Jones was gping to fuck up in Europe, said it two weeks ago. He thinks he is better than he is – mind you so do a lot of peoplem

    He is only just fucking 19 years old! Jesus Christ, some fucking people.

  38. han says

    welbeck missed a header after it was 3-3
    anyone want to call him a fucking useless cocksucking whore of a dog’s pussy?????????

  39. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    fat maradona said:
    Park has played worse for 10 mins than Anderson did for 82 mins.

    Agreed. He is not a footballer Park, if he was British/European he’d be league 1 at best!

  40. han says

    that hairdryer is well and truly going to be back in the dressing room
    ffs that was a load of bollox served up in the 2nd half against a fucking championship calibre team
    without rooney we look lost in the last 2 games
    stupid clueless muppets who should take the lead, don’t…yes rio, playing like a fucking 1 legged cunt
    we should have buried these cheese eating yodooling fuckers well before half time
    the boy welbeck got 2 goals and yet the experienced players totally lost their focus
    i hope SAF gets the dryer out and shoves it up their arses
    fucking fuming

  41. says

    han said:
    that hairdryer is well and truly going to be back in the dressing room
    ffs that was a load of bollox served up in the 2nd half against a fucking championship calibre team
    without rooney we look lost in the last 2 games
    stupid clueless muppets who should take the lead, don’t…yes rio, playing like a fucking 1 legged cunt
    we should have buried these cheese eating yodooling fuckers well before half time
    the boy welbeck got 2 goals and yet the experienced players totally lost their focus
    i hope SAF gets the dryer out and shoves it up their arses
    fucking fuming

    Han see´´s it as it is, the monkey cock sucking cunt that he is

  42. reddread says

    danniitronix said:
    Yeah Young is shit, not United quality, we deserve a proper midfielder … fuck off bitches.

    Thank fuck Anderson was on the bench tucking into a bowl of kellogs special k.

    I’ve never said anything negative about Young myself, but to be fair, you’re slagging off Jones now tonight, so, you know, welcome to our world…

  43. han says

    Robbo – u really think i’m wrong?
    it was piss poor tonight and those older players should look at themselves seriously tonite and remind themselves what it means to play for the red shirt

  44. squigs says

    People on here still think Ferdinand is the best defender in the world. It’s beyond me

    Poor overall, and we are lucky to get a draw in the end.

  45. han says

    danniitronix said:
    How’s the diet, I cracked – back on the Frosties. Did a 5k run yesterday, nearly died. My bender biking’s not helping either.

    get off the bender then
    keep the cycle though

  46. han says

    squigs said:
    People on here still think Ferdinand is the best defender in the world. It’s beyond me

    Poor overall, and we are lucky to get a draw in the end.

    rio should be retired otherwise another larry white is waiting in the wings

  47. says

    han said:
    Robbo – u really think i’m wrong?
    it was piss poor tonight and those older players should look at themselves seriously tonite and remind themselves what it means to play for the red shirt

    No han I think you totally right that was a shite lack lustre performance and our CL outings this season leave a lot to be desired FFs when we saw the group we all thought oh yes but not any more.

  48. Sidsidney says

    Fergie not happy
    Said the defence and midfield were shite
    Maybe we should have signed a destroyer… It’s been a long while since we kept a clean sheet
    Norwich at the weekend, a similar game. More sloppy bollocks and we won’t get the 3 points

  49. han says

    and all those tevez cocksuckers on here – he really showed his true colours tonite in kraut city
    for all berbas shortcomings, the guy is a class act compared to that argentinian prostitute

  50. han says

    Spike said:
    typical utd game

    what the fuck r u talking shit for
    how the fuck was that typical
    we were 2 – 0 up ffs and played like wet open pussies defensively and let those swiss mothers arse rape us

  51. says

    Red, you have never slagged off Young, Unc and the self-promoting “Mod” Alf have and continued a campaign all summer about how he wasn’t united quality but to be fair Unc has changed and acknowledged young’s power of x-factory.

    As for Jones, what’s your problem? I consider him overrated as compared to what you and most others feel. There is no doubt that he has the tools but he is not the “special one”, not yet. He’s fucked up before this season, he was at times clueless tonight, out of his depth and actually needing a hand.

    For the record, Smalling is as good as everyone says and better. De Gea I think is one notch below Smalling – outrageously skilled.

  52. han says

    danniitronix said:
    Red, you have never slagged off Young, Unc and the self-promoting “Mod” Alf have and continued a campaign all summer about how he wasn’t united quality but to be fair Unc has changed and acknowledged young’s power of x-factory.

    As for Jones, what’s your problem? I consider him overrated as compared to what you and most others feel. There is no doubt that he has the tools but he is not the “special one”, not yet. He’s fucked up before this season, he was at times clueless tonight, out of his depth and actually needing a hand.

    For the record, Smalling is as good as everyone says and better. De Gea I think is one notch below Smalling – outrageously skilled.

    aye rio should have helped jones out but was too busy playing catch up

  53. sheesh says

    Both Da Silvas should fuck off back to Brazil. I don’t care how good they supposedly are. If they’re never fit, they should fuck off.

    Jones is still young and has a lot to learn but has all the basic attributes. He still needs to develop an understanding with the other defenders but this will come with time. Rio Ferdinand has a major job trying to get into the first team. All of a sudden, Evans is a wanted man again.

    It was a typical United performance. Take the lead against a team we are expected to bury and then sit back stroking our fannies, instead of going for the kill and finishing them off.

    There was far too much of that tippy tappy arsing about. Now we must win all of our remaining games. We couldn’t have asked for an easier draw if Fergie had inspected and hand-picked the balls himself.

    What a joke.

  54. han says

    sheesh said:
    Both Da Silvas should fuck off back to Brazil. I don’t care how good they supposedly are. If they’re never fit, they should fuck off.

    Jones is still young and has a lot to learn but has all the basic attributes. He still needs to develop an understanding with the other defenders but this will come with time. Rio Ferdinand has a major job trying to get into the first team. All of a sudden, Evans is a wanted man again.

    It was a typical United performance. Take the lead against a team we are expected to bury and then sit back stroking our fannies, instead of going for the kill and finishing them off.

    There was far too much of that tippy tappy arsing about. Now we must win all of our remaining games. We couldn’t have asked for an easier draw if Fergie had inspected and hand-picked the balls himself.

    What a joke.

    not as big a joke as tevcunt over at the council tip

  55. ltel says

    Roberto Mancini on Carlos Tevez after the Argentine refused to come off the bench tonight: “He’s finished with me, with me he’s finished.”

  56. ltel says

    : More from Mancini on Tevez: “Can you imagine a Bayern Munich, Milan or man U player doing this?” And on Edin Dzeko, who reacted angrily after being brought off: “He had a poor game. In terms of being unhappy, it should be me, not him. This is the last time with me a player will do this.”

  57. Sidsidney says

    I’ve just seen a montage of the City bench during their match…
    Seriously, what the fuck is going on…
    A few players kicked off, not just Tevez. Dzeko had a tantrum after he was subbed and threw his shirt to the ground. Zabaleta, I think it was, kicked off with a coach who tried to talk to him. He threw the fellas hands off him. And Brian Kidd had to hold back Mancini from having a go at someone on the bench
    Shambolic as fuck
    And we think we have got problems… At least ours are just on the pitch
    City have come up against their first proper test – their first proper good decent team – and the wheels have well and truly flown the fuck off the metaphorical waggon

  58. han says

    ltel said:
    Roberto Mancini on Carlos Tevez after the Argentine refused to come off the bench tonight: “He’s finished with me, with me he’s finished.”

    can u blame mancini though? he can’t do or say anything else
    the guy tevcunt is a joke
    throws his toys out – SAF knew this and got shot of the cunt
    and anyone who says they would rather have kept him instead of berbs really needs their balls massaged in a flour mill

  59. han says

    sidney said:
    I’ve just seen a montage of the City bench during their match…

    Seriously, what the fuck is going on…

    A few players kicked off, not just Tevez. Dzeko had a tantrum after he was subbed and threw his shirt to the ground. Zabaleta, I think it was, kicked off with a coach who tried to talk to him. He threw the fellas hands off him. And Brian Kidd had to hold back Mancini from having a go at someone on the bench

    Shambolic as fuck

    And we think we have got problems… At least ours are just on the pitch

    City have come up against their first proper test – their first proper good decent team – and the wheels have well and truly flown the fuck off the metaphorical waggon

    i beg to differ old bean
    we played the tenants also, remember

  60. reddread says

    danniitronix said:
    Red, you have never slagged off Young, Unc and the self-promoting “Mod” Alf have and continued a campaign all summer about how he wasn’t united quality but to be fair Unc has changed and acknowledged young’s power of x-factory.

    As for Jones, what’s your problem? I consider him overrated as compared to what you and most others feel. There is no doubt that he has the tools but he is not the “special one”, not yet. He’s fucked up before this season, he was at times clueless tonight, out of his depth and actually needing a hand.

    For the record, Smalling is as good as everyone says and better. De Gea I think is one notch below Smalling – outrageously skilled.

    My problem, such as it is, is that Jones has played a handful of competitive matches for us yet you seem happy to write him off as overrated. He’s 19 and still learning. He will, I repeat will, be United captain before he is 25.

    Smalling had similar teething problems, and look at him 9 months later. Fucking quality, as you rightly say. De Gea, too, is getting better, more confident, by the game and still learning, just like Jones. You just need to afford him the same patience as you are the other two.

  61. Sidsidney says

    2216: Even more from Mancini on Tevez: “If I have my way he will be out of the club.”

    2212: More from Mancini on Tevez: “Can you imagine a Bayern Munich, Milan or Man Utd player doing this?” And on Edin Dzeko, who reacted angrily after being brought off: “He had a poor game. In terms of being unhappy, it should be me, not him. This is the last time with me a player will do this.”

  62. says

    Squigs, Han, – the most important thing about Rio is that defence is too easy for him. He is so talented that he simply does not need think about it. it always has been an easy game for him

    History shows throughout his career that he needs a kick up the arse, he gets complacent, he gets bored and now he wants to hang out with Timbaland and Jay-Z.

    Once he has that kick, he is without any doubt, one of if not the best. He is so good that Vida and VDs, play better and the three of them formed a record breaking partnership.

    Complacency is fine if you get your arse gets kicked and you still have the body. Hwr that perfect defenders physique is slowly faltering. That is the problem now.

    Like Tel says, get him fit and he is still the best – his fefending intelligence and ability to perfrom impervious partnerships will go down in United / EPL history.

    He needs to be given that chance because Smalling, Jones, Evans, De Gea – hell even Vida, have a lot to learn from and owe a lot of debt to His Royal Highness, E-Z Ferdinand.

  63. han says

    SAF needs to put his arm round berbs and give him back some confidence
    otherwise we will lose out on the guy’s quality when we need it most

  64. han says

    danniitronix said:
    Squigs, Han, – the most important thing about Rio is that defence is too easy for him. He is so talented that he simply does not need think about it. it always has been an easy game for him

    History shows throughout his career that he needs a kick up the arse, he gets complacent, he gets bored and now he wants to hang out with Timbaland and Jay-Z.

    Once he has that kick, he is without any doubt, one of if not the best. He is so good that Vida and VDs, play better and the three of them formed a record breaking partnership.

    Complacency is fine if you get your arse gets kicked and you still have the body. Hwr that perfect defenders physique is slowly faltering. That is the problem now.

    Like Tel says, get him fit and he is still the best – his fefending intelligence and ability to perfrom impervious partnerships will go down in United / EPL history.

    He needs to be given that chance because Smalling, Jones, Evans, De Gea – hell even Vida, have a lot to learn from and owe a lot of debt to His Royal Highness, E-Z Ferdinand.

    Danni
    it pains me to say this about an absolute class act that he has been at united, but he just doesnt look the part at the moment and hasnt for a while
    maybe the kick up the arse will work and SAF will definitely give him that, but i get the feeling his best years have gone and we are looking at a future liability
    there are games when he will be more exposed than tonite for sure

  65. han says

    btw
    im sure scholesy refused to play in a league cup tie at the arse a few years back – but SAF didn’t kick his arse into touch did he?

  66. says

    Ffs, will you stop reading what you want to read.

    I am saying he is overrated. He is – you act as if he is the bomb, yet he got shown up today; were people to have some perspective, he is not as good as that. He is a prospect that is it.

    Quite frankly its an irrelevance whether he is captain at 25. What does that prove? What will prove that he is a world class player is if together with smalling and de gea with vida and rio supervisin, they form something akin to the great wall of china where ever they go.

    Feel free to keep bumming him up but I think that stance looses credibility in the face of such abject errors.

  67. squigs says

    danniitronix said:
    Squigs, Han, – the most important thing about Rio is that defence is too easy for him. He is so talented that he simply does not need think about it. it always has been an easy game for him

    History shows throughout his career that he needs a kick up the arse, he gets complacent, he gets bored and now he wants to hang out with Timbaland and Jay-Z.

    Once he has that kick, he is without any doubt, one of if not the best. He is so good that Vida and VDs, play better and the three of them formed a record breaking partnership.

    Complacency is fine if you get your arse gets kicked and you still have the body. Hwr that perfect defenders physique is slowly faltering. That is the problem now.

    Like Tel says, get him fit and he is still the best – his fefending intelligence and ability to perfrom impervious partnerships will go down in United / EPL history.

    He needs to be given that chance because Smalling, Jones, Evans, De Gea – hell even Vida, have a lot to learn from and owe a lot of debt to His Royal Highness, E-Z Ferdinand.

    He has not been anywhere near the best defender in the world for a good while. You talk as if he is Baresi or something and you don’t have much issue when he is complacent, he is the senior partner in a defence that conceded three goals to Basel, no where near good enough. He has great anticipation and has been a top defender. I don’t think we will see him much fitter then he is now though.

    Physically it’s not slowly failing, it’s probably gone already he has been unfortunate with injuries and back injuries are awfully slow to heal, it’s affected him and he is short quite a bit of pace now.

  68. Ichiro says

    I dont think anyone thinks he is anything more than an excellent prospect. No one thinks he is the finished article at 19 surely.

  69. squigs says

    han said:
    btw
    im sure scholesy refused to play in a league cup tie at the arse a few years back – but SAF didn’t kick his arse into touch did he?

    Quite a difference between a reserve team in the league cup and the champions league.

  70. han says

    reddread said:
    Fuck me. Real destroyed Ajax. First goal was a thing of beauty

    i dread to think what the score would have been if we had played them tonite

  71. reddread says

    Ichiro said:
    I dont think anyone thinks he is anything more than an excellent prospect. No one thinks he is the finished article at 19 surely.

    Exactly. Yet Danniitronix talks about me reading what I want to read.

  72. uncleknobheadffsuncleknobheadforfucksake says

    I don’t understand this discussion

    jones is the bollocks, smalling is also the bollocks but jones will be the bigger bollocks, de gea is also the bollocks, rooney is the biggest bollocks

    berbatov not so much

  73. han says

    uncleknobheadforfucksake said:
    I don’t understand this discussion

    jones is the bollocks, smalling is also the bollocks but jones will be the bigger bollocks, de gea is also the bollocks, rooney is the biggest bollocks

    berbatov not so much

    thats rite
    bring in that bulgarian pussy sniffer even when he isn’t part of your discussion
    ffs why don’t u just go shoot him once and for all and be done with it
    and 1 more thing – when he scored those vital goals for us last season, were u still such a bitter twisted twat? or maybe u just want your tevcunt back?

  74. uncleknobheadffsuncleknobheadforfucksake says

    so nothing, I called out tevez as shite and a cunt from the word go while justin alf and others said he was the bollocks, berbatov is equally shite and even more of a cunt since he don’t even have the bollocks to kick up a fuss about fergie humiliating him. pathetic

  75. han says

    uncleknobheadforfucksake said:
    so nothing, I called out tevez as shite and a cunt from the word go while justin alf and others said he was the bollocks, berbatov is equally shite and even more of a cunt since he don’t even have the bollocks to kick up a fuss about fergie humiliating him. pathetic

    berbs is acting with a degree of dignity which elevates him above most mercenery footballers – regardless of the way SAF has treated him (which is totally out of order), he refuses to chuck his toys out; therefore regardless of his detractors on here, he will remain a true professional who deserves better than the shit he gets on here from some so called supporters

  76. Triggs says

    The PL top scorers last year have both been frozen out – for differing reasons.

    Tevez has gone on strike, just at the point that his club need him most. Remember even if City had got just one back, that could have a made a difference to the table after all six rounds.

    Berbatov has been a professional, because he respects the club, the fans and cares deeply about playing for the club.

    Yet here we have an absolute cunt of a follower, who is so myopic in his irrational dislike for the player that he suggests that he’s pathetic for not acting like a spolit prick. What an utter spiv you are unclekiddyfiddler.

    If Rooney and Chica remain unfit and Berba doesnt start against Norwich it’s a fucking disgrace.

  77. Sidsidney says

    Just seen Bayern’s goals… Joe Hart’s reaction after the second one is worth a watch
    He goes fucking mental
    They’ve got some serious issues

  78. squigs says

    Yeah I thought it was just me who thought that, he isn’t known as hot headed and he seemed absolutely livid.

    Top keeper mind, he kept that score respectable.

  79. Stego10 says

    Anyone that saw Rio’s performance on Sunday would agree that it is not complacency or confidence that is undermining his performance. The problem is that his legs “have gone”. This isn’t manifest in his ability to cover ground or even tackle-it is his ableness to jump for the ball. The tell tale signs were there on Sunday and as any number of ex-pro’s will tell you it is that ability that goes first.All good things must come to an end?

  80. dozer says

    Jones’ weakness is his ability in the air. He can’t jump for peanuts, Evra was marking Crouch most of the time in the first half for the corners in Stoke – he did well.
    Jones was beaten by Crouch most of the time.
    He’s a great potential but it’s too early to say he’s the next coming of Jesus etc.
    Does he have more potential than Smalling? Yes, perhaps.
    But currently Smalling is the better defender, and the better player.

    Sir Ryan Giggs? No no no. Sir Paul Scholes say.

  81. damian garside says

    We play a single player up front (and therefore crowd the midfield) and concede 3 goals at home to a Swiss team and now only have 2 points from 3 games. Maybe we should start criticizing the decision not to get a player who could have combined beautifully with Rooney — but also stand in for him and provide something when he is injured. Now our season is a lottery as to whether he (Rooney)gets injured or not again and for how long. This is not the way to defend our Premiership title or take the CL by storm.

    Is Tevez our fifth column over the road at the Council House?

  82. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    han said:
    that hairdryer is well and truly going to be back in the dressing room
    ffs that was a load of bollox served up in the 2nd half against a fucking championship calibre team
    without rooney we look lost in the last 2 games
    stupid clueless muppets who should take the lead, don’t…yes rio, playing like a fucking 1 legged cunt
    we should have buried these cheese eating yodooling fuckers well before half time
    the boy welbeck got 2 goals and yet the experienced players totally lost their focus
    i hope SAF gets the dryer out and shoves it up their arses
    fucking fuming

    Hi Han,

    welcome to the “top 3 list” of my favourite ranters. Earn your stay.I like you.

  83. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    danniitronix said:
    Red, you have never slagged off Young, Unc and the self-promoting “Mod” Alf have and continued a campaign all summer about how he wasn’t united quality but to be fair Unc has changed and acknowledged young’s power of x-factory.

    Not only are you a pissy little school girl, but you’re also a hypocrite, an idiot and a liar.

    And I didn’t have to have a pathetic little side dig in saying so.

  84. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    uncleknobheadforfucksake said:
    so nothing, I called out tevez as shite and a cunt from the word go while justin alf and others said he was the bollocks, berbatov is equally shite and even more of a cunt since he don’t even have the bollocks to kick up a fuss about fergie humiliating him. pathetic

    Hang on a minute.

    Tevez may well be a cunt… but he’s a great little player when he’s in the mood.

    But the argument was whether he was better than Rooney, and I was never having that.

  85. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    Just a side note on the Bayern/City game… and why Mancini is not the man to take the Bitters to the big time.

    “I don’t know why he was upset. Maybe because he did not go on as the first substitute.

    “But I decide these things. At that moment, I decided to change Edin with Nigel de Jong because I wanted to make sure we didn’t concede a third goal as we still had 30 minutes to the end.”

  86. captainhormonecaptainhormone says

    horrible joke of a club

    this will either split them or make them stronger

    however one thing is for certain…their troubles do seem perpetual under the current mercenary regime

    Long may it continue

  87. Alfonso BedoyaAlfonso Bedoya says

    Cheers Bri…

    What a dick… and how long has he been playing in England? 6/7 years?… and he still needs an interpreter?

  88. captainhormonecaptainhormone says

    correct Alf…it is shocking….I’d expect to know the language of the people of the country I work in out of respect to them….But clearly Carlos is above all mere mortals in his eyes…

  89. brianofnazarethbrianofnazareth says

    Alfonso Bedoya said:
    Cheers Bri…

    What a dick… and how long has he been playing in England? 6/7 years?… and he still needs an interpreter?

    No probs.

    That’s the problem he’s just not arsed, a player wanting to make it in another country would learn the language.

  90. says

    3-3 at home to Basel. Basel: as in `good in a pesto, or with mozzarella and tomatoes’ or `You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot while I’m trying to run a hotel here!’

Leave a Reply

Login with your Social ID

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *