Rant Cast 140 – what’s up doc?



On this week’s show regular presenters Ed and Paul look back on Manchester United’s hard-fought draw with Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane. Sir Alex Ferguson’s side conceded a last-minute equaliser amid controversy over a penalty not given and criticism of David de Gea. But would the Scot have taken a point ahead of the game?

Also on this week’s show: we talk Qater, with United’s players heading out to the middle east for four days of warm weather training. But why were Ferguson’s players wearing Bugs Bunny pyjamas on the flight and did the great man himself partake?

We talk transfers, with  Wilfried Zaha heading to Old Trafford in a a £15 million deal, and Federico Macheda heading off to VfB Stuttgart on loan for the rest of the season.

We take your Twitter questions and preview games in the coming week against Fulham in the FA Cup at Old Trafford and Southampton in the Premier League.

Hit us up with any feedback below or follow the pod on Twitter: Paul – @UtdRantCast, Ed – @UnitedRant.

And if you really love the show, you can always help cover our bandwidth and equipment costs by making a small donation!

Stream this episode using the player below or listen on iTunes and leave us a review! The podcast RSS feed is available here.

Rant Back
Want to appear on Rant Cast? The pod’s new call-in section “Rant Back” features the very best audio comments each week. Keep your comment under a minute, reasonably clean and leave a name to take part. Record your message in the widget to the right -> or send an MP3 to cast@unitedrant.co.uk.



Share Button
Rant Cast Episode
Play
  • Brian C

    Hey guys,
    “the likes of ” isn’t English? It can’t be from the US, can it?
    Please clear this up, as all yawls cute Johnny Foreigner turns of phrase
    Are a big part of why I listen.
    Besides united, of course.
    Stone wall penalties are solid as a stone wall? They’re not nailed on cause
    Because stone walls generally use mortar.
    Look forward to the show every week
    Brian from North Carolina

  • Alfonso Bedoya

    “Brian from North Carolina”

    Been there… hated it…

  • captainhormone

    Commenter said:
    Hey guys,
    “the likes of ” isn’t English? It can’t be from the US, can it?
    Please clear this up, as all yawls cute Johnny Foreigner turns of phrase
    Are a big part of why I listen.
    Besides united, of course.
    Stone wall penalties are solid as a stone wall? They’re not nailed on cause
    Because stone walls generally use mortar.
    Look forward to the show every week
    Brian from North Carolina

    Look at all the fucks I don’t give Brian

    Go on!…Look at them!

  • http://www.visual-intrusion.com Robbo

    Whose let this cunt in here? must be a friend of Brian from Ryhl

  • Brian C

    I’m no good at Internet banter. Ed, Paul, you brought this shit up and now look, I’m a cunt looking at a bunch of fucks captain hormone doesn’t care about. I think yawl should address this now that I look like a douche.
    Brian

    • Paul

      Feel really bad that you got laid into by people here for commenting on the show, Brian – hit us up on twitter if you like where the comments will hopefully of a friendlier nature.

  • sidney

    Good stuff about the media’s De Gea narrative. If we had Hart in goal then we would get an easier ride from the press, no question.

    De Gea is the total opposite to Hart though. Quiet, shy, foreign and doesn’t embrace the media. Before he was interviewed on Five Live the other week he was really nervous and they didn’t think he was going to actually speak.

    The thing with Nev supporting this bullshit narrative (joyfully n all) is that he really could cause United a problem if he doesn’t give it a rest. He has a lot of weight as a United legend and if he keeps spouting off then we might actually lose a potentially great player. It’s not just him obviously, but he is spearheading the current avalanche of shit aimed at De Gea, and it’s wrong. You expect that from the ABus. Nev should be more balanced.

  • Andrew

    Agree – Nev should know better

  • Alfonso Bedoya

    Commenter said:
    I’m no good at Internet banter. Ed, Paul, you brought this shit up and now look, I’m a cunt looking at a bunch of fucks captain hormone doesn’t care about. I think yawl should address this now that I look like a douche.
    Brian

    Better, but you should have said “fuckin fat”, captain hormone… keep workin on it… these things need practice.
    Oh, and drop the “yawl”… that makes you sound like a right bell end…

    “Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don’t need badges. I don’t have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching’ tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you.”

  • captainhormone

    Paul said:
    Feel really bad that you got laid into by people here for commenting on the show, Brian – hit us up on twitter if you like where the comments will hopefully of a friendlier nature.

    What the fuck you on about? Can’t you see the bloke is clearly a wum?

  • sheesh

    sidney said:
    Good stuff about the media’s De Gea narrative. If we had Hart in goal then we would get an easier ride from the press, no question.
    De Gea is the total opposite to Hart though. Quiet, shy, foreign and doesn’t embrace the media. Before he was interviewed on Five Live the other week he was really nervous and they didn’t think he was going to actually speak.
    The thing with Nev supporting this bullshit narrative (joyfully n all) is that he really could cause United a problem if he doesn’t give it a rest. He has a lot of weight as a United legend and if he keeps spouting off then we might actually lose a potentially great player. It’s not just him obviously, but he is spearheading the current avalanche of shit aimed at De Gea, and it’s wrong. You expect that from the ABus. Nev should be more balanced.

    I don’t agree. Any United keeper, regardless of nationality, will have shit thrown at him because it’s convenient to the media when we’ve had the likes of Van der Sar and Schmeichel at the club. Those guys are put on a pedestal and the standard has been set for future keepers to reach their level. When keepers fail to reach that standard, the media will seize on it. If Hart was a United keeper and making daft errors, he would come in for the same criticism. Keepers like Foster and Howard took a lot of criticism.
    As for Neville, I have absolutely no problem with what he said on Sky. This is a man who knows what the atmosphere in the dressing room is like and how the manager’s mind works. As a United fan, I want to know what the manager will be thinking/how the players will be reacting. I don’t think he was out of order at all. He was making the point that the other players will be having a go at de Gea after that Spurs error. There is no hiding place at United. You have to ‘man up’ or you won’t last. The standards are so high at United that you can be out before you know it. Neville has expressly said that he thinks that de Gea will go on and be a top keeper but he will take a lot of criticism for the error v Spurs.
    People forget that Schmeichel made errors earlier on in his career but he obviously put in the work and came out the other side a much better player. De Gea will have to do the same. The media will give him grief in the mean time but that’s to be expected, unfortunately.

  • Tommy

    sheesh said:
    People forget that Schmeichel made errors earlier on in his career but he obviously put in the work and came out the other side a much better player. De Gea will have to do the same. The media will give him grief in the mean time but that’s to be expected, unfortunately.

    Was the media treatment of Schmeichel in those early days as harsh as the de Gea bashing though? I’m a de Gea supporter, but even if I wasn’t I’d be getting sick of hearing the same stories repeated week in week out. It’s been almost two seasons, when will they get sick of airing or printing the same regurgitated crap? Silly question, obviously when it stops selling. I guess I’m just sick of the self-feeding self-sustaining never ending dead horse flogging machine that is the British football press. Not that the de Gea hate is the only such saga, far from it.

    Alfonso Bedoya said:
    Oh, and drop the “yawl”… that makes you sound like a right bell end…

    I always thought the accepted spelling was “ya’ll”. Though in either case definitely sets off bender alarms.

    Anyway, another week, another great pod. Thanks ya’ll.

  • Alfonso Bedoya

    Actually… I think it would be, “y’all”…

    And I feel like a cunt for knowing that.