Voting in your area

Political Debate
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

swampash wrote:Surely there will now be calls for a referendum on NI leaving the U.K.?

Are you fucking mental!!!!!!!!!

And Sid Dup won Sinn second, same as before but reduced seats overall and closer margins so I need to research the repercussions tbf. Mid Ulster had near 75% turnout!

Fuck me! Think of 18 year olds that don't give a fuck, elderly who can't/didn't vote,

Means near everyone who was able voted, 64% overall!
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Don't sinn fein want to fuck westminster off? Do they want to stay in the eu?
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

Yes and Yes but there's no way the country would vote, who's gonna have us? The South?? They are already in a negative deficit from the EU.

Even my nationalist mates who vote Sinn Fein say they would never want a United Ireland now.

Hearts yes, head no.

Every cunt is employed in the public sector, taxes are low and NHS and benefits?

I'd be fucked if I lived in the South.

Plus it's not Scotland, there'd be civil war.

Like actual bombings/gunfire, ex soldiers would get involved, both sets of paramilitaries would come out of retirement, all the weapons that were decommissioned, suddenly people would remember caches they "forgot" to declare
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Does Stormont govern southern ireland?
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

Sid if you add the unionists together and the nationalists, nationalists have one more seat so more mild and moderate acts will get pushed through but probably not more extreme ones, plus Alliance usually through their hat in on milder nationalist policies.

So can't see much changing bar Irish language act and border polls might get through now.
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

Sid wrote:Does Stormont govern southern ireland?

Lol, I know Southern Ireland is fucked but it would be an apocalyptic waste land if that was the case.

No they are a completely independent country, as much to do with the North as England or Canada. Bar an inter country train and bus service and an open border.

They have two Houses of Parliament if I'm tight and also have Sinn Fein just to confuse things but they aren't as popular in the South to confuse things more.
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Ha I know they're independent and I knew they had their own parliament - but does it have a lot of power?

What parties are popular in the south?
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

Sid wrote:Ha I know they're independent and I knew they had their own parliament - but does it have a lot of power?

What parties are popular in the south?
Fainne fail? (Spelling wrong but phonotecially about right)

Yeah they have all the power, just like any other country, except two parliaments which I'm not sure how many countries have?

Probably a throwback and based around idea of parliament and lords when Britain left, same idea as likes of India in ww2, only world war 1, i.e. if you fight like fuck you'll get independence,

Ironically the majority loyalist counties/citizens went fuck we want to stay British, we better fight like fuck as well, so at the Somme, ironically people who would be enemies fought together and got fuckin butchered in that clusterfuck of an operation. UVF was 36th and Irish regiment was 116th? I think, could be wrong on Irish one. The UVF has no relation to the paramilitary UVF of the 70s bar stroking the name.
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Nice one

We literally get fuck all about Ireland here except the odd prog fronted by a celeb who explores the place, which is largely paid for by the state's tourist board. I reckon it's a mystery to most people except for Westlife.

I want some Ireland suss. What's their attitude like toward northern ireland like now? And what do you lot think of them?
swampash
Legend

2 years ago

What happens if the UK fucks off the EU over Brexit to such an extent that the EU insists on a hard border between the Republic and NI?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...