Coronavirus

Political Debate
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Completely agree with that. Most of the comparable epidemics have figures that are based on hindsight and/or estimates. It's too early on to nail down any figures for multiple reasons.

The real concern is if the health system gets overrun. There is quite a risk of that in Lombardy now and they are already looking to try and draft in retired medical staff.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 year ago

Whether by design or accident, you look at the likely impacts.

Firstly - the economy. The bigger corporates will be big enough to ride out the economic impact, but how many small businesses are going to go under? plenty.

There'll inevitably be a land rush from the pharmaceuticals to make a killing over medical care and drugs. Healthcare costs will go up.

Talk of extra police and even the army being mobilized to limit people movement.

Legislation for greater access to medical records and peoples whereabouts? I'd say that's almost certain.

Either way, its your lower classes that will feel it the hardest, as always.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

bman2 wrote:
1 year ago
The fatality rate of 2-3% is high for a virus that looks like it might have the potential to infect a large share of the general population. But the fatality rate also increases a lot when medical resources are stretched. It was close to 10% at the epicentre in China, in the early days, before they knew what they were dealing with and devoted massive resources. China built new hospitals in days just for coronavirus patients and shut down massive cities to control the number of new infections to a manageable level. Can the UK do that? If NHS beds and doctors run out, the 15-20% of cases that are serious are warrant medical intervention will start claiming a lot more lives.
That's a really good point. The NHS can't cope as it is, let alone with a crisis like this. Not only that but 10 years of austerity has decimation shitloads of services that cater for the most vulnerable. Those that are left are under massive strain or simply not functioning. So you throw in a crisis like this as well... It's gonna be grim. Peopld are gonna die unnecessarily.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 year ago

Firstly - the economy. The bigger corporates will be big enough to ride out the economic impact, but how many small businesses are going to go under? plenty.

There'll inevitably be a land rush from the pharmaceuticals to make a killing over medical care and drugs. Healthcare costs will go up.

Talk of extra police and even the army being mobilized to limit people movement.

Legislation for greater access to medical records and peoples whereabouts? I'd say that's almost certain.

The poorest will be hit the hardest, definitely. Millions of gig economy workers don't get sick pay, so if they're off work they're fucked. I might be fucked too, I need to check with my union. The government said sign on, but it takes 8-12 weeks to get your money as it is. It'll take a lot longer when there's millions more claiming. And you can't not eat or pay bills for a couple of months until you get your money.

And yeah the government will use this crisis as an opportunity to chip away at civil rights. They always do, every crisis, every terrorism etc. And the capitalist pharmaceuticals will exploit the demand for drugs, masks, hand wash etc. I don't think they cause shit like this (that's too tin foil hat for me) but they do exploit the fuck out of it.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 year ago

What do you mean by "by design"? Please don't tell me you're even remotely entertaining the idea that this is a made in the lab thing.

I've already indicated that the economy is going to (and already is, especially here) suffer.

Pharma makes a killing regardless but, until there is a known, defined treatment protocol i can't see that much more than obvious topical, generic treatments are of use right now. Like paracetamol, etc. They'll all be looking to create a vaccine but there are virtually fuck all effective treatments against viruses anyway so i doubt they'll be looking for novel drugs to combat a virus.

Extra police and the army... probably. People 5km from me have been living that for two weeks now and where i live is in the "yellow zone" as far as the Italian government is concerned. Whether you think it draconian or not, the sad truth is that medieval tactics like quarantine are the best way to stop people spreading germs to other people. Despite this, the main advice both here and the UK is to self-isolate and they're not painting white crosses on people's doors yet.

I don't follow how anyone could reason greater access to medical records and people's whereabouts would help.

I agree on your last point, obviously.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 year ago

No I don't mean that this is a deliberately released virus. I was referring more to the level of hysteria being deliberately engineered to cause panic rather than as an appropriate means to contain this thing.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 year ago
No I don't mean that this is a deliberately released virus. I was referring more to the level of hysteria being deliberately engineered to cause panic rather than as an appropriate means to contain this thing.
i'm don't think journalists are interested in conspiracy to cause panic... it'd be giving fat too much credit to some of the dickheads. They're just interested in getting the scoop and they don't really care about the psychological effects except to the extent it gets their name remembered.

either way, it's definitely the media i hate most in all of this and closely followed by politicians talking out their arses... but it doesn't take a pandemic for me to feel like that. It's my default position.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

a rational, evidence-based view:

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/ ... march-2020

or listen to boris, or trump, or the news
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago
a rational, evidence-based view:

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/ ... march-2020

or listen to boris, or trump, or the news
Nice one
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Prem likely to play games behind closed doors in the coming weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... us-everton

Wonder how much matchday revenue this will cost clubs, especially if it's copied down the leagues. Could put some clubs under. But it's the right thing to do.

Speaking of which Flybe has tanked, and others are expected to follow suit. Shows you the perilous nature of capitalism. One bug is gonna wipe out a shitload of companies and possibly industries, with little back up resources to help people.