Coronavirus

Political Debate
FuB
Legend

2 months ago

Sid wrote:
2 months ago
Fub, what do you make of this? Research suggests corona causes permanent lung damage

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/tagesschau/a ... ce61c.html
You might get more joy out of swampash in reading that. I know the article is on the RAI website but it's in German - there are a couple of Italian regions which are German-speaking as a first language.

From a purely personal opinion, i'd say it's all still a bit early to nail down definite long-term effects and I would suggest that this sort of - and i have seen it documented elsewhere - effect is more on the severe side of the scale. Certainly the respiratory effects of Covid-19 are as a result of viruses killing cells in the lungs and, on top of that, the body's immune response to tissue damage and inflammation (i.e. pneumonia) so lung damage is a given. Whether or not this is a permanent effect is, I think, difficult to be sure of right now. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the more severe cases left a more severe legacy for the victim.

I do have one anecdotal account that's relevant here. My sister had a pretty unpleasant experience with what must have been Covid-19. I say must have been because, despite her eventually calling 111 and being advised to go to hospital, she was never actually tested (surprise surprise) and sent back home after a lung-function check. She's still (over a couple of weeks later) experiencing difficulty with her breathing although it doesn't appear to be too debilitating for her... just that she doesn't feel 100% i guess.

The WHO seem to be saying - with a caveat on it, of course, being limited data so far - that more severe cases can take 3-6 weeks to recover fully after the worst symptoms clear up.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

FuB wrote:
2 months ago
Sid wrote:
2 months ago
Fub, what do you make of this? Research suggests corona causes permanent lung damage

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/tagesschau/a ... ce61c.html
You might get more joy out of swampash in reading that. I know the article is on the RAI website but it's in German - there are a couple of Italian regions which are German-speaking as a first language.

From a purely personal opinion, i'd say it's all still a bit early to nail down definite long-term effects and I would suggest that this sort of - and i have seen it documented elsewhere - effect is more on the severe side of the scale. Certainly the respiratory effects of Covid-19 are as a result of viruses killing cells in the lungs and, on top of that, the body's immune response to tissue damage and inflammation (i.e. pneumonia) so lung damage is a given. Whether or not this is a permanent effect is, I think, difficult to be sure of right now. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the more severe cases left a more severe legacy for the victim.

I do have one anecdotal account that's relevant here. My sister had a pretty unpleasant experience with what must have been Covid-19. I say must have been because, despite her eventually calling 111 and being advised to go to hospital, she was never actually tested (surprise surprise) and sent back home after a lung-function check. She's still (over a couple of weeks later) experiencing difficulty with her breathing although it doesn't appear to be too debilitating for her... just that she doesn't feel 100% i guess.

The WHO seem to be saying - with a caveat on it, of course, being limited data so far - that more severe cases can take 3-6 weeks to recover fully after the worst symptoms clear up.
Sorry Fub I thought it would automatically translate like it did for me.

Here's the first bit in English
It is now undisputed that Covid-19 should be taken seriously as a serious illness. How the late effects will have an impact will only become clear step by step. Recovered patients in diving are also at particular risk. The massive changes in the lungs can significantly increase the risk of accidents, said the senior physician of the Innsbruck University Clinic, Frank Hartig.

He heads the emergency department in the hospital and is the responsible crisis coordinator for Covid 19 patients. In the clinic, doctors have treated dozens of coronavirus sufferers in recent weeks, from symptom-free spreaders to intensive care patients on the heart-lung machine. Among them were six active divers, all of whom did not have to be treated in hospital, but cured themselves in home quarantines. All of them were not severe cases, their illnesses were five to six weeks ago and they are considered to have recovered. But they can no longer dive. "The damage to the lungs is irreversible," said Hartig in an interview with the APA. And the,

"This is shocking, we don't understand what's going on here. They are probably lifelong patients, so it doesn't matter whether they dive again or not," said the doctor. The bad news was made clear by lung CTs. "They didn't get any better at all in imaging," said Hartig. "As an emergency doctor with 20 years of experience, you swallow when you see something like this in a 40-year-old patient."
Suppose am after some reassurance this ain't gonna be the case for us all
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

FT reckon a more accurate death toll is 40k

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-3d0 ... 39799fa6ab
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

GP calls for action after 125 of her care home patients die of Covid-19

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-covid-19

They've just let it run wild in care homes. No plan, no PPE, nowt. They're even sending patients with corona back into care homes, presumably to wipe the rest of em out.
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

The Tories are getting hammered over PPE and corona in general from the Tory rags and Tory donors. Significantly all Murdoch's rags are going after the previously teflon Johnson / Tories.

Where was this criticism towards their cruel dole policies, windrush etc

Anyways it looks like a change in leader or government is on the cards, more so now there's a capitalist centrist in opposition who'll keep the neolib show on the road.
swampash
Legend

2 months ago

Sid wrote:
2 months ago
Anyways it looks like a change in leader or government is on the cards,
Sorry Sid, but how on earth do you figure that????
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Robbo
Legend

2 months ago

On a lighter note get out and buy Domestos and some syringes according to Dr Trump injecting disinfectants could combat Covid 19.
-----------------------------------------------------
swampash
Legend

2 months ago

I just saw that too Robbo - perhaps at his next press conference Trump should demonstrate his faith by injecting himself with disinfectant?
Next up could be snake oil?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

swampash wrote:
2 months ago
Sid wrote:
2 months ago
Anyways it looks like a change in leader or government is on the cards,
Sorry Sid, but how on earth do you figure that????
Cos the Tory rags and donors are going in on Johnson as I previously mentioned. Won't be any time soon like. Probably not even next year (unless there's a vote of no confidence)

But there's clearly been a change in attitude behind the scenes by the people who put Johnson in power. So much so that Johnson has beefed up his press department (remember this cunt? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -messaging) who spent all night writing a 2000 word response to the damaging Sunday Times exclusive
FuB
Legend

2 months ago

Robbo wrote:
2 months ago
On a lighter note get out and buy Domestos and some syringes according to Dr Trump injecting disinfectants could combat Covid 19.
Fuck me... the man knows full well how much the moron population of the US lap up his every word. People are going to fucking try this! AND they're going to go out and buy UV-C disinfectant lamps and fry themselves.

there'll be enough fuckwits outside the US who do it too... just when the world's health services need an extra influx of critically injured patients.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit