Coronavirus

Political Debate
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7835
Joined: 7 years ago

6 months ago

swampash wrote:
6 months ago
Still seems like a lot of hysterical nonsense to me.
I hope you're right.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4723
Joined: 6 years ago

6 months ago

Fuß - if you're checking in - how's it going in Italy?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24651
Joined: 7 years ago

6 months ago

swampash wrote:
6 months ago
Still seems like a lot of hysterical nonsense to me.
It's not to the 4000 dead or those most at risk

Thing is because the media is loving it and sensationaling it, as they do, your instinctive reaction is to be sceptical. But that isn't a good response.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24651
Joined: 7 years ago

6 months ago

Health expert brands UK’s coronavirus response ‘pathetic’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-pathetic

“Right at the beginning of February, they [Hong Kong] adopted a total approach to this, which is what we should have done five weeks ago ourselves. They took a decision to work to three principles – of responding promptly, staying alert, working in an open and transparent manner,” he told the Guardian.

“Our lot haven’t been working openly and transparently. They’ve been doing it in a (non) smoke-filled room and just dribbling out stuff. The chief medical officer only appeared in public after about two weeks. Then they have had a succession of people bobbing up and disappearing. Public Health England’s been almost invisible.

“Boris Johnson should have convened Cobra himself over a month ago and had regular meetings with the chief medical officer with the evidence. The thing should have been fronted up nationally by one person who could be regarded as the trusted voice and who could have been interrogated regularly. That’s not happened.”

“We have a superficial prime minister who has got no grasp of public health,” Ashton said. “Our lot are behaving like 19th-century colonialists playing a five-day game of cricket.

“This virus will find the weak points. You can’t just plan this from an office in Whitehall. It’s pathetic. The government doesn’t seem to understand classic public health. You need to be out and about. You need to get your hands dirty – though preferably gloved and using frequent gel,” he said.

He warned that the NHS was not in a position to cope with the large numbers of people who could become seriously ill. “It’s a joke when they put up people to say they are really on top of it and if it spreads at a community level the NHS will cope, it’s always coped. The hospitals are full at the moment, A&Es are full, beds are full, intensive care is full.”
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6027
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

6 months ago

swampash wrote:
6 months ago
Fuß - if you're checking in - how's it going in Italy?
Well, it's all over the news so I'm sure you don't really need me to tell you any more. As I'm sure all of you know: as of this morning, we're now even further restricted in terms of movement and all bars and restaurants (except takeaways) and most shops (except essential businesses) are closed for at least two weeks. You need to have a good reason to be going anywhere (work, essential items, etc) or you risk a fine.

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
swampash wrote:
6 months ago
Still seems like a lot of hysterical nonsense to me.
It's not to the 4000 dead or those most at risk

Thing is because the media is loving it and sensationaling it, as they do, your instinctive reaction is to be sceptical. But that isn't a good response.
Precisely Sid.

The problem is, Swampash, it's precisely the attitude you have there that's driven and is continuing to drive this pandemic. It's precisely your attitude that's put Lombardy into a situation where they have no more room for patients and are now having to triage people on an almost arbitrary decision as to who's most likely to pull through. I don't envy those medical professionals who are tirelessly trying to cope with a horror story, risking their own health by the minute and now having the unenviable task of trying to decide who might be the lucky ones.

Yours is also precisely the attitude i would think you should reconsider given i'm pretty sure you yourself fall into the age demographic most at risk.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
jason_uk
First Teamer
Posts: 394
Joined: 6 years ago

6 months ago

My work is implementing a split work rota starting on monday, blue team and red team, 1 week in office, deep clean, and the other team comes in week after.
Not allowed to socialise outside of work with anyone on the opposite team.
Pretty mad, but at least they are trying to be proactive, albeit the company are trying to protect their own interests!
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6027
Joined: 4 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

6 months ago

jason_uk wrote:
6 months ago
My work is implementing a split work rota starting on monday, blue team and red team, 1 week in office, deep clean, and the other team comes in week after.
Not allowed to socialise outside of work with anyone on the opposite team.
Pretty mad, but at least they are trying to be proactive, albeit the company are trying to protect their own interests!
Would you be able to explain what industry you work in without giving anything you don't want to away?

I'm also interested in what "deep clean" means in that context. Sounds appropriately serious but is it actually being done in a serious way?

Obviously business is going to protect their own interest but it's quite disheartening that businesses figure out how to plan these things seriously much better than governments have been. Even here, i learnt from friends at the very outset of the first reported cases that the company they work for (a very large multinational) had been restricting travel around the world for several weeks beforehand. For my part, i've also been busy... I work most closely for a company in the UK and it's been an entire week of crisis planning and getting anyone who can work from home set up to do so.

Despite the worldwide stock market shitstorm, i can guarantee companies who deal with products for remote working and remote telephony are doing great guns.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend
Posts: 5498
Joined: 7 years ago

6 months ago

I work in a senior role for a company that employs approx 600 people, in the Energy industry. I’m the deputy chair for our Major Incident and Business Continuity team, so planning for a pandemic event is something we’ve looked at sporadically, along with other likely emergency scenarios. Anyhow, we’ve been looking at our plans for a Corona pandemic since January. Meeting weekly and testing our critical processes, how impacted they’d be in different circumstances, adapting work and travel plans, putting specific plans into place for individuals with special circumstances - such as being a carer or those with underlying health issues. The level of information we’ve been getting through official channels - which has only really been a factor for the last 3-4 weeks - has been shocking. Conflicting information, a lack of information at times etc. Really not good. Now I’m not comparing how easy it is to prepare 1 company with running a country, but there are principles of planning, structure, order, communication that still apply.

We have deep clean services on stand by too - but the problem is, so does every one else. Our remote working capabilities are pretty robust - but for those that aren’t they can take time to upgrade so if you’re not well prepared now, you’re going to be scrapping it out with everyone else who’s in the same boat. And therein lies the problem. Most big organisations will have plans in place for how well they’re able to cope with the loss of access to their main office(s). Some will be robust, some won’t. But few will have made provisions for multiple businesses up and down the country enacting their plans at the same time, let alone a lock down. And if this gets properly serious, its critical infrastructure and services that get prioritised - every other business falls way down the pecking order. Our government is unable to manage even moderate crises or complex issues - what we’re seeing is already unprecedented, but it could become so serious as to cause the sort of damage that might take years, even generations to undo. I’ve seen reports that the outbreak might not even peak until NEXT winter! Can you imagine the carnage of most of the world coming to a stand still for 9 months? Health services crippled, economies ruined, law enforcement on its knees, schools closed indefinitely, the elderly and most vulnerable isolated - it could very well become anarchy.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24651
Joined: 7 years ago

6 months ago

The government's press conference... Pathetic. They're basically doing nothing - still - apart from stopping old people going on cruises.

Meanwhile the Chief medical officer said that 80% of nation could contract it, with half a million of us dying https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... it-says-pm "Johnson himself said many people will lose loved ones"

The Tories have long believed in eugenics. It's been exposed in recent months (posts made by Dominic Cummings' & others). But this really feels like it in action, as in it's just you and your immune system, and only the strongest will survive. Madness, from a hugely rich powerful nation with vast resources and organising abilities. You can't stop the virus but you can slow it down and create the best circumstances to keep the most people alive.
Last edited by Sid on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24651
Joined: 7 years ago

6 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
6 months ago
I work in a senior role for a company that employs approx 600 people, in the Energy industry. I’m the deputy chair for our Major Incident and Business Continuity team, so planning for a pandemic event is something we’ve looked at sporadically, along with other likely emergency scenarios. Anyhow, we’ve been looking at our plans for a Corona pandemic since January. Meeting weekly and testing our critical processes, how impacted they’d be in different circumstances, adapting work and travel plans, putting specific plans into place for individuals with special circumstances - such as being a carer or those with underlying health issues. The level of information we’ve been getting through official channels - which has only really been a factor for the last 3-4 weeks - has been shocking. Conflicting information, a lack of information at times etc. Really not good. Now I’m not comparing how easy it is to prepare 1 company with running a country, but there are principles of planning, structure, order, communication that still apply.

We have deep clean services on stand by too - but the problem is, so does every one else. Our remote working capabilities are pretty robust - but for those that aren’t they can take time to upgrade so if you’re not well prepared now, you’re going to be scrapping it out with everyone else who’s in the same boat. And therein lies the problem. Most big organisations will have plans in place for how well they’re able to cope with the loss of access to their main office(s). Some will be robust, some won’t. But few will have made provisions for multiple businesses up and down the country enacting their plans at the same time, let alone a lock down. And if this gets properly serious, its critical infrastructure and services that get prioritised - every other business falls way down the pecking order. Our government is unable to manage even moderate crises or complex issues - what we’re seeing is already unprecedented, but it could become so serious as to cause the sort of damage that might take years, even generations to undo. I’ve seen reports that the outbreak might not even peak until NEXT winter! Can you imagine the carnage of most of the world coming to a stand still for 9 months? Health services crippled, economies ruined, law enforcement on its knees, schools closed indefinitely, the elderly and most vulnerable isolated - it could very well become anarchy.
It highlights the madness of capitalism, of a system reliant on perpetual growth, that falls to pieces in times of crisis when the growth stops.

Also the perilousness of having to work to pay for food, water, shelter. Entire industries are gonna tank and shitloads of people be out of work. That's not even mentioning the thousands / hundreds of thousands the chief medical officer is warning us could die in the UK.

And the government's response is tough shit jack. There's no solidarity, no support. It's just tough shit.
Post Reply