Legend

1 year ago

Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago
But have you heard the Israeli eurovision song
:))

Tbh I actually thought it was clever and fair play to to girl.

I don't have much of a stomach for the hardline Israeli types, this Embassy thing is fucking me right off. 18 -22 dead now.....
58 now. It's no surprise the killings have gone up after that song generated some global positive PR for Israel.

Incidentally she also served in the Israeli navy, and once serenaded the troops with song before they carried out a massacre.

And notice now she's not using her platform to talk about the slaughter, all she keeps saying is "I love my country" - how could you when they're carrying out this atrocity
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

All fits with the standard strategy of 'more land, less Arabs'.
Appalling that Trump is complicit in this slaughter.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

I can recommend Tanya Reinhart's 2002 book 'Israel/Palestine How to End the War of 1948' if you want to understand the conflict.
Steggo
Legend

1 year ago

Yes that's a good read but I prefer Mark Tesslers 'A History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict'.

'You know about books?They're like tv but for clever people.'
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago
But have you heard the Israeli eurovision song
:))

Tbh I actually thought it was clever and fair play to to girl.

I don't have much of a stomach for the hardline Israeli types, this Embassy thing is fucking me right off. 18 -22 dead now.....
58 now. It's no surprise the killings have gone up after that song generated some global positive PR for Israel.

Incidentally she also served in the Israeli navy, and once serenaded the troops with song before they carried out a massacre.

And notice now she's not using her platform to talk about the slaughter, all she keeps saying is "I love my country" - how could you when they're carrying out this atrocity
I'm not a great fan of making Music or Sport part of political machinations, never have been. I don't mind if an artist or a sports person makes a personal point but when governments start influencing policy i get very uncomfortable about it..... I won't be buying the song tbf....
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Yeah tbf, with eurovision you can't hide the political context, not just because of all the shit going on in global politics but the contest itself was xpecifically created out of the post WW2 sentiment of bringing europe together

I mean Israel isn't even a european country but it wants in on the party? It's just a farce
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

Israel wasn't even the country that got protested..... than was Great Britain..... :))

I'm loving how Eurovision has been taken over by the gay community, it's become an annual televised Gay Pride.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago
Israel wasn't even the country that got protested..... than was Great Britain..... :))

I'm loving how Eurovision has been taken over by the gay community, it's become an annual televised Gay Pride.
I'd be interested to know how much Eurovision figures in other non-English speaking cultures. I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned here except in very brief passing like an "and also..." and definitely not in major news. I've never been that bothered with TV and much less so here so I might be missing something that at least has a niche here. what I've seen, though, implies it has literally zero relevance or exposure here.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

Steggo wrote:
1 year ago
Yes that's a good read but I prefer Mark Tesslers 'A History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict'.

Not read that one Steggo. Will need to check it out. What’s its core thesis?
Steggo
Legend

1 year ago

swampash wrote:
1 year ago
Steggo wrote:
1 year ago

Not read that one Steggo. Will need to check it out. What’s its core thesis?
Better than me waffle on I'll let someone else. The book has been updated since this review.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... 6D2537D08A