Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Ronaldo leaving doesn't really bother me. What bothers me, are the underlying reasons for why he wants out and the fact we have no one to replace - and we have no real chance of replacing him either. We're a shambles and any selling club will know we're desperate, so we'll be playing Martial up front next season, backed up by Charlie McNeil.
bman2
Legend

It will agitate the fuck out of the sponsors. Without Pogba and Ronaldo, United’s squad are a bunch of nobodies. A couple are known to English audiences, like Rashford, but that’s about it.
bman2
Legend

The sense I get is that Mendes and Ronaldo were not at all impressed that United didn’t make a strong push for Darwin Nunez. They probably saw him as a natural complement for Ron.
sheesh
Legend

bman2 wrote: 1 year ago The sense I get is that Mendes and Ronaldo were not at all impressed that United didn’t make a strong push for Darwin Nunez. They probably saw him as a natural complement for Ron.
I don't think we could have gone for both de Jong and Nunez in the same window with our miniscule transfer budget. Not when there were other positions that needed fixing as well.

The club probably thought that we'll focus on other areas and make do with Ronaldo for another year. Which is fine, but you need to be working multiple transfers at the same time, not go all in on one player and piss around for 2 months.

United's transfer strategy all along seems to have been to go cap in hand to Barcelona for one player and let them treat us as their cuck. We've let them dictate when they get to sell their player at a time of their choosing without having any back up plan. They may not need to sell him after all now.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 1 year ago It will agitate the fuck out of the sponsors. Without Pogba and Ronaldo, United’s squad are a bunch of nobodies. A couple are known to English audiences, like Rashford, but that’s about it.
Yeah, sponsorships will inevitably be down. Just losing Ron will be significant. His appeal is vast - outside of football as well. This at a time when our commercials are falling. It will reduce the value of United as well. A United with the most famous footballer in the world is worth more than without.

Going back to basics with young, hungry players is what's needed but it's at odds with the way the Glazers and board run the club. Thats where the tussle lies. United can make future stars like Ten Hag did at Ajax, but the Glazers want high profile commercially valuable players on massive wages cos they think it adds to the overall value of the club. Fucked up
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Ronaldo has realised we don't have the ambition to match his ambition. All this talk of him brining a winners mentality to the dressing room - it's needed more in the boardroom. But he's not going to change that. The dividends first approach is just normal business practice for the vermin Glazers. They don't think they're doing anything wrong, and they never will.
bman2
Legend

The club should also do be doing much better shifting dead weight and young players who won’t make it. If they can’t cobble together enough cash to buy an attacking player like Antony or Gnabry this summer, that’s a serious problem. Martial, Chong, Bailly, Jones, etc etc. Some of the yoof. Well run clubs regularly bring in a steady stream of cash this way, including our PL rivals. It all adds up, even if each individual sale is modest.
swampash
Legend

Doesn’t really make sense that the owners haven’t clocked that selling on players also generates cash and thereby adds to the dividend pool. Looks like they don’t even get the business basics.
swampash
Legend

Just checked the tour schedule. Will be interesting to see how the new tactics work on the pitch and which of the youngsters might make the grade.
sheesh
Legend

bman2 wrote: 1 year ago The club should also do be doing much better shifting dead weight and young players who won’t make it. If they can’t cobble together enough cash to buy an attacking player like Antony or Gnabry this summer, that’s a serious problem. Martial, Chong, Bailly, Jones, etc etc. Some of the yoof. Well run clubs regularly bring in a steady stream of cash this way, including our PL rivals. It all adds up, even if each individual sale is modest.
Yeah, our inability to sell players is a massive problem and it seems that nothing has changed under Murtough.

I'm amazed we didn't sell Henderson. Sending him on loan - rather than selling him outright/loaning with an obligation to buy - looks like poor business. Maybe ten Hag fancies him? I don't know.

Then there are the other players you mentioned.