So, who wants a nice working forum then?

Manchester United chat
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 4518
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

9 months ago

ok... I think we're getting ahead ourselves a bit here. i'm more than happy to take on admin duties but i'd only want to do it in a very hands-off way. I certainly get off on fixing things that are seemingly terminally fucked up (like this forum was) but that doesn't necessarily mean I would want to be nor actually be an arbitrator of discussions on the forum. Regardless of anyone's opinion posted above (not really sure what I've done to upset poor snoops), this forum is STILL Ed's property and, even though I've offered to help him out on an ongoing basis, I still consider my current admin status as a temporary one in a crisis. I don't really think it's up for any of us to decide.

that said, I do think that the forum belongs to all of us in so much as that, without us, there isn't a forum. i don't see anything wrong with us all having a democratic debate about ways we can improve our own experience. I think Robbo's suggestions, both the idea of subdividing things a bit and a warning system before any banning, are the right way forward... although i'd probably consider a one warning and then you're out system because it's not as if people don't get a shitload of leeway here in contrast to the more prissy United forums.

if there's anything desperately needed that's easily achieved and we all agree on then i'm happy to make those changes if Ed is in agreement as well... however he might email me tomorrow and say "cheers for fixing it but I've changed all the passwords and thanks but no thanks".

One thing i DID do last night was prune the user database down from about 1300 to 170 odd... based on removing any login that had never posted and hadn't logged in for more than three months... so about 1100 bullshit users went to the great spambot in the sky. if anyone (human) is reading this and had a login I've removed then sorry but quite why you needed a login to never post is beyond me. Just re-register and, well, POST, you cunts.

On that note, i think - because the notifications system was the last broken bit causing the blank pages, etc. - registration for new users hasn't been working either. I haven't had time to test whether it is now so if anyone fancies registering a new user just for a test that we subsequently delete, that would be appreciated.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Robbo
Legend
Posts: 1111
Joined: 5 years ago

9 months ago

FuB wrote:ok... I think we're getting ahead ourselves a bit here. i'm more than happy to take on admin duties but i'd only want to do it in a very hands-off way. I certainly get off on fixing things that are seemingly terminally fucked up (like this forum was) but that doesn't necessarily mean I would want to be nor actually be an arbitrator of discussions on the forum. Regardless of anyone's opinion posted above (not really sure what I've done to upset poor snoops), this forum is STILL Ed's property and, even though I've offered to help him out on an ongoing basis, I still consider my current admin status as a temporary one in a crisis. I don't really think it's up for any of us to decide.

that said, I do think that the forum belongs to all of us in so much as that, without us, there isn't a forum. i don't see anything wrong with us all having a democratic debate about ways we can improve our own experience. I think Robbo's suggestions, both the idea of subdividing things a bit and a warning system before any banning, are the right way forward... although i'd probably consider a one warning and then you're out system because it's not as if people don't get a shitload of leeway here in contrast to the more prissy United forums.

if there's anything desperately needed that's easily achieved and we all agree on then i'm happy to make those changes if Ed is in agreement as well... however he might email me tomorrow and say "cheers for fixing it but I've changed all the passwords and thanks but no thanks".

One thing i DID do last night was prune the user database down from about 1300 to 170 odd... based on removing any login that had never posted and hadn't logged in for more than three months... so about 1100 bullshit users went to the great spambot in the sky. if anyone (human) is reading this and had a login I've removed then sorry but quite why you needed a login to never post is beyond me. Just re-register and, well, POST, you cunts.

On that note, i think - because the notifications system was the last broken bit causing the blank pages, etc. - registration for new users hasn't been working either. I haven't had time to test whether it is now so if anyone fancies registering a new user just for a test that we subsequently delete, that would be appreciated.


As you say the forum is Eds but it is beneficial for him if there is somebody who can make changes etc. when needed instead of things getting worse and worse.
-----------------------------------------------------
User avatar
brianofnazarethffs
Legend
Posts: 3742
Joined: 5 years ago

9 months ago

Robbo wrote:
FuB wrote:luckily he doesn't have permissions to delete it all this time


=)) =))

I remember that suddenly lots of posts disapeared ;)



Listen you pair of cunts, the only things I deleted was Robbo’s requests that we all send him pictures of our cocks so he could “draw” them.... remember that?! WTF! Hahaha.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4146
Joined: 4 years ago

9 months ago

Happy Days!
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
Robbo
Legend
Posts: 1111
Joined: 5 years ago

9 months ago

brianofnazarethffs wrote:
Robbo wrote:
FuB wrote:luckily he doesn't have permissions to delete it all this time


=)) =))

I remember that suddenly lots of posts disapeared ;)



Listen you pair of cunts, the only things I deleted was Robbo’s requests that we all send him pictures of our cocks so he could “draw” them.... remember that?! WTF! Hahaha.


Back when this place was fun to come to ........

And I´m still waiting for that cock pic from you Brian always boasting but no show :ymhug:

:)) =))
-----------------------------------------------------
User avatar
Editor
Manager
Posts: 146
Joined: 5 years ago
Contact:

9 months ago

Yay. Many thanks to FuB for sorting this out, especially as I was beginning to look like a total cunt for not doing it.

All I can say is a) I'm stupid fucking busy at work, b) I've got three kids, c) I spend too much time on a plane.

Excuses, excuses
---------------------
Editor, United Rant
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4146
Joined: 4 years ago

9 months ago

...breeder. But we still love you Ed. Probably. Maybe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Post Reply