Manchester United chat
senna
Legend

2 years ago

Kane and Salah have scored more goals.
bman2
Legend

2 years ago

Yeah De Gea is a fantastic stopper and we play that deep block that few teams can unpick, so you have a lot of speculative shots being punted long distance towards possibly the best shot-stopping goalkeeper in the world.

With a bit more quality in the back line and midfield, perhaps Jose will have the confidence to advance us up the pitch a bit at least, have us making more attacks of our own, even if he's never going to change his basic approach.
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

senna wrote:Our expected points are higher than it "should" be. While you can call it impressive we win games it tells another story that we've gotten more points than we deserved.

Last season there were a lot of draws and the general talk was "we would've won the league if not for these draws" bla bla. Not here but elsewhere..

This year apparently every point is deserved when in fact every advanced stats tells another story. DDG is top 3 in faced shots both from inside the pen area and outside. We should be around 4th-5th place.

https://experimental361.com/2018/01/01/ ... -dec-2017/ This is only until dec but it would probably be worse now.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Here you can see expected Goals(xG), expected Goals against(xGA) and expected Points(xPTS). You can click on each and see how United drop serval placements. So united have about 14 more points than they should and City around 8.

Now stats are not everything but they do tell a story. Some will argue it doesn't matter and that the table placement is the only thing that matters and yes in the end it's only about placement. But in the long run, stats won't lie.

We've had an abnormal amount of goals and DDG has saved us many points. How long can we keep that up? Really is there much difference compared to last year? We have more points but we don't look like a better team.

Aye, everybody knows De Gea has saved our arsed on a lot of occasions. We have the best keeper in the world and it's a huge asset. But there's rumours that he was royally pissed off after the Sevilla loss and he let the squad know.

Madrid are literally waiting for him, so I think he'll give us one more season and if we're still shite he'll walk. It will have been 6 seasons since Fergie left then, that's enough time tbf.
sheesh
Legend

2 years ago

marlon wrote:
sheesh wrote:The only thing stopping me from calling for his head is the fact that there is nobody out there who can go toe to toe with the most progressive managers in the game, believes in attacking football and is actually available.

Also to sack him right now would be mental, when we're still fighting for second.

Nobody on here has suggested a suitable alternative.

Ancellotti is free - can't do much better for attacking football and pedigree. People have suggested Tuchel, Sarri, Allegri. I'd add Jardim from Monaco.

I would have said yes to Ancelotti when we were looking at hiring Van Gaal. I'm not so sure about him now, as he I think he would be a sticking plaster at best. We need a longer-term solution, someone who is a bit more modern. I think Allegri is a good manager but he's also a question mark. Could he go toe to toe with Pep and Jurgen? I'm not so sure.

Tuchel? Maybe. The others I don't know enough about, so can't comment.
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

I thought the penny had finally dropped when we played some nice football through the middle and out side but then in hindsight, the Liverpool game was from two Flick one, here’s my take on it

1. If a better option, and considering we will buy another couple of worldies and have young players a new man could work wonders with by not making things so rigid, then ok go for it.

2. We knew what we were getting, he’s not gonna change and he’s like Wenger only after spending more money and he’s more defensive and cautious than Wenger but he still has that, don’t get beat, and hope a big money/young star can produce a goal.

3. Pogba and Sanchez are a nightmare because you want to play both but Sanchez gets into Pogbas space, but Rashford was so good against Liverpool, he could easily have played him on the left, solving the problem. Fellani loses the ball and everyone goes nuts, Sanchez lost it 19 times in one half against Liverpool.

Fellani wasn’t there to avoid the clash of space with Sanchez, our plan seeing as Lakaku, Jose’s “Sergeant” says he understands now his job is to defend from the front and no manager has asked that of him, whether he enjoys it or not, who knows but the plan was obvious, soak, absorb, long ball to Lakaku on the left and if you watch Fellani wasn’t leaving a big hole in the middle of the park because he’s shit, he’s following orders, which was right high up for second balls to other players. We were always going to either sneak it or go out.

His comments were a fucking disgrace and imho designed to deflect that he fucked up.

You put Matic with Pogba left McT right in a three and Nnonzi ffs doesn’t boss the park.

Rashford left Sanchez right or Mata if he’s shit, Lakaku up front with actual support feeding him, not all hoof and hope it lands for another player. Lakaku has looked better if late,

But there can be no excuses, you used to be able to batter the dross, but now the dross have more money and invested wisely and with shrewd foreign managers like Wagner and Young British managers like Howe prepared to not just sit back, you a) can’t do the old beat the dross and don’t lose against your main and secondary rival and b) you now have about five rivals so the tactics are so outdated.

There are players that need a boot up the joke, some who need an arm round the shoulder but you make a list of our players, look at the better ones and we should be playing nice football that’s still successful.

Young was good in a 5, then he was shit in a four, now he’s ok again and after Liverpool is in the fuckin England squad.

Shaw hasn’t had a bad game for us since he came back, he’s the future, what’s the point of getting rid of a young 20 something who we don’t even know how well he could link up with Pogba and Sanchez if they sort their shit out.

The only good thing is that the team on paper is getting better for the next manager.

But Bailey fit, with a new can or Jones/Rojo when fit or if Lindelof comes good, another midfielder and maybe another wide player,

Fosu Mensah rated by UEFA and Opta as 34 I think in the best 50 young players around, him and Shaw should be the full backs.

See what’s fucking me off the most isn’t Jose or his apologists, it’s tge fact that it’s going to take another few hundred million, most of which we don’t need to spend before everyone is happy we’ve virtually a new/quality/improved youth because of experience in every position then we still are shit before they go oh shit, maybe it isn’t the players,

DDG
Bailey
Pogba
Sanchez
Rashford
Matic
Martial

Are you trying to say even those 7 and I’d chuck in Shaw if it wasn’t controversial due to lack of game time and even player of the year Herrera who’s injured but isn’t fancied anymore and Lingard who is a good squaddie you need in every team, plus a rake of squad players and Tuanzabe when back fit, Fosu, Jones when fit, Rojo, McT,

There’s plenty of players, it’s the cliche, well two really, we play mostly like a team of individuals because big name Big money players don’t like the style,

2. The less talented players who are just given a job to do have been our better performers.

Fuck other teams and all this new fangled shite,

If you have a confident 11 there, a mixture of youth experience and should be at least 2-3 x factory cunts, all on the same wave length and you send them out with tactics yes and jobs at set pieces etc. but you just let them fuckin play, the mid hit 5 yard balls and the sideways and backwards and hoofing stops and we look better and I’d say win more.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
marlon
Legend

2 years ago

sheesh wrote:
marlon wrote:
sheesh wrote:The only thing stopping me from calling for his head is the fact that there is nobody out there who can go toe to toe with the most progressive managers in the game, believes in attacking football and is actually available.

Also to sack him right now would be mental, when we're still fighting for second.

Nobody on here has suggested a suitable alternative.

Ancellotti is free - can't do much better for attacking football and pedigree. People have suggested Tuchel, Sarri, Allegri. I'd add Jardim from Monaco.

I would have said yes to Ancelotti when we were looking at hiring Van Gaal. I'm not so sure about him now, as he I think he would be a sticking plaster at best. We need a longer-term solution, someone who is a bit more modern. I think Allegri is a good manager but he's also a question mark. Could he go toe to toe with Pep and Jurgen? I'm not so sure.

Tuchel? Maybe. The others I don't know enough about, so can't comment.

Mourinho hasn't set a high bar so as long as the next guy doesn't need a new team and plays better football, I'm good.

As for going toe to toe with Pep, seems Klopp is the only one who's managed it. (Although Peps always managed the best team in the league). Fwiw Ancellotti won both of his games vs Pep (I think when Madrid knocked Bayern out of the CL).
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pep-guar ... ainer/5672

It'd be nice to have a long term manager but that could be anyone who does well - Woodward sets a low bar and Mourinho is unlikely to go until he wants to. With the money we spend, top 4 should be easy.
marlon
Legend

2 years ago

Agree with that Zebs. The team is mostly fine. Just think what other managers would do:
Poch - 4231 Herrera-Matic / Sanchez-Pogba-Martial / Lukaku
Pep - 433 Mata-Herrera-Pogba / Rashford-Sanchez-Martial
Klopp - 433 Herrera-Matic-Pogba / Sanchez-Lukaku-Martial

There's a million ways to do it and if we had some kind of set style, even if it was classic Mourinho defensive shit, we'd be fine. I think the lack of attacking training is a huge issue. After he left Chelsea one of the players said it was the most basic training he'd had from any coach. More or less tells the players to do what they want (which he's said himself recently). So when the defence is shite what is he doing?
Unitedroad
Reserves

2 years ago

Disagree with Zebs team is not fine ,playing two wingers as full backs is not top class although both of them have done brilliant as make shift ,alternatives clearly not good enough, who he gets ? Central defenders are ok .

Poch suggestion .....Herrera nowhere near good enough has had more than enough chances and he's at best a squadie and Jose has more or less tried that.Lukaku although has improved of late still nowhere near good enough to play with Sanchez.

Pep suggestion .......as above McTominey would be better than H basically a 3 man midfield not top 5 potential ,Rashford and Martial it hasn't worked they are collectively not good enough yet,Sanchez as CF yes for me.

Klopp suggestion ......Jose has tried it doesn't work because of the inconsistency of the French lads.

Hopefully next season

DDG,

New FB ,Baily,any of the others,new full back,

Valencia,Matic,New player,

Rashford or Lindgard, Pogba

Sanchez.

Squad .Romero,Fosu Mensa,Tunzabe,Young,Blind,Rojo,Lindleov,Smalling,McTominey,Herrera,Lukaku,Martial,Fellani.

Offload Mata ,Jones,Darmian,Shaw, possibly Blind and Herrera,Martial Fellani if money is decent

Newbies .possibles ...Griezeman,American lad from Germany ,Rose,
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

2 years ago

marlon wrote:
2 years ago
Agree with that Zebs. The team is mostly fine. Just think what other managers would do:
Poch - 4231 Herrera-Matic / Sanchez-Pogba-Martial / Lukaku
Pep - 433 Mata-Herrera-Pogba / Rashford-Sanchez-Martial
Klopp - 433 Herrera-Matic-Pogba / Sanchez-Lukaku-Martial

There's a million ways to do it and if we had some kind of set style, even if it was classic Mourinho defensive shit, we'd be fine. I think the lack of attacking training is a huge issue. After he left Chelsea one of the players said it was the most basic training he'd had from any coach. More or less tells the players to do what they want (which he's said himself recently). So when the defence is shite what is he doing?
Fucking hell. Jose HAS played those players in THOSE positions and they didn't turn up. End of.

How the players are getting away with pathetic performances are a disgrace... some are too blind and just want to blame Jose EVERY TIME. He has made his mistakes BUT it's not JUST down to him.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
marlon
Legend

2 years ago

As I said, what are we doing in training? Occasionally you see a plan like the back six or like the Sevilla game with all those crosses to Fellaini at the back post or Liverpool with Lukaku flicking on goal kicks. But mostly it sounds like the attacking plan is to wing it. Doesn't matter how the players line up if there's no plan. My point was we're more or less fine on paper