United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
FuB
Legend

1 month ago

This in a few places since late last night... not sure if the Mirror is the source but I think so.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... d-16503895

this was pretty much clear for months now anyway. annoying as it is, it would hardly be worth appointing a DoF/sporting director now in the middle of the transfer window.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Ed tried to make the usual reactionary populist appointment in Phelan, Fletcher and Ferdinand as DoF. But when fans reacted negatively he shelved the idea. They were only smokescreens anyway. We were never seriously linked with a proper DoF like the geezer at Leipzig because that would have meant Ed taking a backseat.

But tbf, if you look at who we're being linked with, it seems like we have a decent transfer strategy this summer. We're after young eager players and talented older ones like Fernandes. Very few have big corporate appeal other than Bale. So it seems Ole, Phelan, Woodward etc have an identity / plan and are trying to buy to it. So we might not need a DoF this summer if Ed is finally putting football ahead of profit.
FuB
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Ed tried to make the usual reactionary populist appointment in Phelan, Fletcher and Ferdinand as DoF. But when fans reacted negatively he shelved the idea. They were only smokescreens anyway. We were never seriously linked with a proper DoF like the geezer at Leipzig because that would have meant Ed taking a backseat.

But tbf, if you look at who we're being linked with, it seems like we have a decent transfer strategy this summer. We're after young eager players and talented older ones like Fernandes. Very few have big corporate appeal other than Bale. So it seems Ole, Phelan, Woodward etc have an identity / plan and are trying to buy to it. So we might not need a DoF this summer if Ed is finally putting football ahead of profit.
Time will obviously tell on this one so will be interesting to see how things pan out between now and the beginning of august. Ideally we have everything in place before the tour starts rather than last minute desperation fuck up deals because he's dragged his feet again. Until we have some new players signing this is no different from any other transfer window where we're linked with every player and his dog anyway.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago

We've signed zero players and gotten rid of zero players I think.
James deal is "agreed on principle". Wtf does that mean? It's been weeks and he's not been signed yet.
FuB
Legend

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago

James deal is "agreed on principle". Wtf does that mean? It's been weeks and he's not been signed yet.
he's been on international duty and played last night, dozer
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Herrera and Griezmann have both left their clubs but neither has yet signed with a new one. Seems like a bit of a slow moving transfer window, with the exception of Real. Slow moving transfer window is not good for us, obviously, because ideally there's a lot we'd like to do.

Referring to the article in the Mirror, could Woodward really be making the transfer decisions? Surely at the very least it's a collective thing with Ole and Phelan involved. It's one thing if Woodward is picking who we try to sign, it's another for him to be working with an agreed list of targets, and having final say on whether it's worth bidding higher for players.
FuB
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
Herrera and Griezmann have both left their clubs but neither has yet signed with a new one. Seems like a bit of a slow moving transfer window, with the exception of Real. Slow moving transfer window is not good for us, obviously, because ideally there's a lot we'd like to do.

Referring to the article in the Mirror, could Woodward really be making the transfer decisions? Surely at the very least it's a collective thing with Ole and Phelan involved. It's one thing if Woodward is picking who we try to sign, it's another for him to be working with an agreed list of targets, and having final say on whether it's worth bidding higher for players.
You'd certainly hope it was this way round (which would be pretty much as things were with Ferguson and Gill - and before) however there's often a feeling that big arse agents have waved big named players under his nose and the manager at the time has not identified them as a target... or at least that's more or less what van Gaal was saying just recently regarding di Maria for instance.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago

Give it time. The season has only just finished because of Euro qualifiers and the nations league.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago

Give it time. The season has only just finished because of Euro qualifiers and the nations league.
Real have signed 4-5 players already. Dunne deals.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

FuB wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago

he's been on international duty and played last night, dozer
hmm okay. I guess it'll be done now since it's all over