United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
Steggo
Legend

1 month ago

The DoF position is pathetic. It shows no forward planning or thought! As I’ve said many times one should have been appointed in Dec/Jan before the new manager. Pathetic cheapskating again.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Ed tried to make the usual reactionary populist appointment in Phelan, Fletcher and Ferdinand as DoF. But when fans reacted negatively he shelved the idea. They were only smokescreens anyway. We were never seriously linked with a proper DoF like the geezer at Leipzig because that would have meant Ed taking a backseat.

But tbf, if you look at who we're being linked with, it seems like we have a decent transfer strategy this summer. We're after young eager players and talented older ones like Fernandes. Very few have big corporate appeal other than Bale. So it seems Ole, Phelan, Woodward etc have an identity / plan and are trying to buy to it. So we might not need a DoF this summer if Ed is finally putting football ahead of profit.
We've signed zero players and gotten rid of zero players I think.
James deal is "agreed on principle". Wtf does that mean? It's been weeks and he's not been signed yet.
Give it time. The season has only just finished because of Euro qualifiers and the nations league.
Real have signed 4-5 players already. Dunne deals.
They're haven't signed anyone yet, they've just been public with their "done deals". They're literally the only club though.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

FuB wrote:
1 month ago
there's often a feeling that big arse agents have waved big named players under his nose and the manager at the time has not identified them as a target... or at least that's more or less what van Gaal was saying just recently regarding di Maria for instance.
Yeah I think that's been true of Woodward in the past, in the early days of him being in charge, but I thought that maybe he'd gotten over that after being burned so badly.
FuB
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
FuB wrote:
1 month ago
there's often a feeling that big arse agents have waved big named players under his nose and the manager at the time has not identified them as a target... or at least that's more or less what van Gaal was saying just recently regarding di Maria for instance.
Yeah I think that's been true of Woodward in the past, in the early days of him being in charge, but I thought that maybe he'd gotten over that after being burned so badly.
There's a chance that he has got over it and this window will be the first sign. Until whatever NDA Mourinho has runs out, we'll not be getting any van Gaal style disclosures as to how it was really working with him. My feeling is that he really did want the players he got and, as we all know, failed to build anything except a mess with them
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

FuB wrote:
1 month ago
bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
FuB wrote:
1 month ago
There's a chance that he has got over it and this window will be the first sign. Until whatever NDA Mourinho has runs out, we'll not be getting any van Gaal style disclosures as to how it was really working with him. My feeling is that he really did want the players he got and, as we all know, failed to build anything except a mess with them
I think they were mostly or entirely Mourinho's targets too. The ultra defensive reactionary football we played is the same football Pulis has played everywhere else. By season 2 he had his team and his philosophy implemented. It won 81 points which would have challenged for the title 10 years ago. But in today's game it ended up 19 points adrift and struggling against relegation fodder. And then he wasn't able to do what Klopp did, who spent a similar sum to Mourinho, and close the gap on City and win the CL - instead Jose blew up, the players stopped believing in his outdated football & methods, and he got the boot.
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

1 month ago

For me it doesn’t appear that Woodward has learned anything from running what I laughingly think of as “our transfer policy” over the last 5 - 6 years. He is like a kitten that is attracted to every bright shinny object that is put in his path, he seems totally incapable of developing a long term (or even an intermediate) strategy, his negotiation skills are second to everyone and he cannot work on more than one thing at a time.

Instead of going for Koulibaly with the best offer possible we try and low-ball Napoli, when we were a power in Europe that might have worked but not in today market and not with this United team. Instead of dicking around with Napoli waiting on them to make a move, get the next on your list signed and use some of the Koulibaly money to do it, send a message that we are not a team to be fucked with. If De Ligt want a couple of weeks to figure out his future - fine sign the next on your list and come back in two weeks, is it really that difficult finding better player than Rojo, Jones, Smalling and ever Bailly?

We have developed a reputation of a team that can be used to up the ante during contract negotiations and agents have jumped all over that.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Pretty long article here on our search for a DoF and our farcical recruitment discussions:
https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/manche ... eir-future

Sounds like the appointment of a DoF might have been put on hold because Ole wanted to get on with identifying targets. Fletcher identified Daniel James apparently...
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

Why do we need a DoF as long as football men are making decisions?
We don't need one DoF making decisions; it must be agreed with consensus b/w football men at the club with Ole having the final say. And there are plenty of these folks already at the club.
Sid
Legend

4 weeks ago

The most important fight to get United back to the top is happening off the pitch

sheesh
Legend

4 weeks ago

The match going fans, who normally wouldn't say boo to a goose, are going to kick off next season. Will those running the club give a shit? Nope.