United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
Davey-boy
Legend

1 year ago

Van der Sar would be a decent shout. Meant to be doing a pretty good job at Ajax.
bman2
Legend

1 year ago

Yeah I'd love Van Der Sar, that could be a great move for the club. You'd have to wonder if he'd give up being top man at Ajax to play third fiddle to the CEO and manager at United though, or get caught up in the melodrama.
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

Ralf Rangnick would be my choice, though van der Sar sounds like an interesting call...
Key thing, as others above have noted, is that having a DOF means you can get your signings teed up well before the transfer window opens. Look at Bayern - they are past masters at agreeing advance terms with players and their clubs, often a while season in advance, and thus avoid the feeding frenzy of the formal transfer window.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Felwin
First Teamer

1 year ago

http://global.espn.com/football/manches ... ow-sources

Not sure if this is different wording or there's any significance to them calling the position 'technical director'.

Wouldn't be surprised if Woody got demoted and someone else was essentially parachuted into his position. Won't hold my breath on in being a football oriented appointment, could just as well be an agent.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Or is it a technical director as well as a DoF?

Either way it would be nice if the Glazers have apportioned some blame to Woodward for the 5 years of shite post Fergie. Let him do the commercial side while another cunt does the transfers
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Or is it a technical director as well as a DoF?

Either way it would be nice if the Glazers have apportioned some blame to Woodward for the 5 years of shite post Fergie. Let him do the commercial side while another cunt does the transfers
Well, reading the linked article shows the first paragraph as
Manchester United are focusing on the appointment of a technical director before the end of the year to provide a link between the manager and board at Old Trafford rather than rebuilding their recruitment structure with a director of football, sources have told ESPN FC.
which is seemingly saying instead of and not as well as.

This all makes me wonder if there's actually any truth at all in any of these stories. The first link you put up to start this thread, Sid, was suggesting a DoF to be installed when they've finished expanding the training facilities to accommodate the new women's team. That expansion hasn't even been started yet so, unless the planned expansions were sticking a couple of portacabins in a corner, this was a long term plan... but, no, now it's an exceedingly short term plan of an entirely different nature.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

I don't read the articles tbf

I think you could be right though. The DoF announcement might have been to counter the shitload of negative press we've been getting. Or the board might have changed their minds, they might think a technical director is the way to go now. Or it might be different board members saying different things... Who fucking knows what's going on. It's chaos. We're the worst run club in the Prem tbf.
Felwin
First Teamer

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
We're the worst run club in the Prem tbf.
Watch your mouth. Newcastle hold that title until they get relegated.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
I don't read the articles tbf

I think you could be right though. The DoF announcement might have been to counter the shitload of negative press we've been getting. Or the board might have changed their minds, they might think a technical director is the way to go now. Or it might be different board members saying different things... Who fucking knows what's going on. It's chaos. We're the worst run club in the Prem tbf.
...or they leaked the idea of a DoF to get Mourinho to lose his rag and didn't get the required result so they're upping the ante. wishful thinking I know.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
marlon
Legend

1 year ago

'With Woodward having responsibilities beyond overseeing transfers, the appointment of a technical director would provide Mourinho with a daily contact in terms of discussing recruitment and updates on progress.'

So its a babysitter for Mourinho. And they want a former player - so a name to appease the fans and somone a manager might find difficult to criticise. No actual change to the way things are done.