United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Fuck british, you pay for hype and expectation. We've already paid over the odds for Bissaka and got rinsed on Maguire. There'll be loads of foreign rough gem CDMs. Just having someone smaller, more agile and intelligent ala Kante will be a big improvement on Joses big old dosser. That's why it's mad that we haven't got one, especially when Ole started the summer saying we need 2 CMs. I can only think Ed reckons Perreira or McTominay will be good enough in the future.
marlon
Legend

1 month ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
1 month ago
marlon wrote:
1 month ago
"Where the Reds may be leaving themselves short is in signing a more defensive-minded midfielder after the recent departures of Ander Herrera and Marouane Fellaini.

It was thought United had prioritised this area for the summer, and held interest in Declan Rice and Sean Longstaff, but with neither attainable for a reasonable fee (Newcastle want £50million for Longstaff), it's looking likely that they won't be able to bring in a midfield player."
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... y-16715249

How was the whole list just Rice and Longstaff. 'prioritised'
That's a key position for me too. Maybe we're hoping Fred comes good. We've plenty there in terms of numbers - fred, mctominay, Matic, Perreira, Garner coming through. But none you'd hang your hat on.
McKenna is apparently a big Fred fan, so maybe, with the change in style. All the midfields of the top 6 look a bit weird now - City play with two 10s; Spurs might be more normal this season with Winks and N'Dombele but it's quite soft for Poch's style; Liverpool were the most normal but also a bit plain without Ox (and to balance their full backs); Chelsea are going with Jorginho-Kovacic; no idea who plays for Arsenal these days, but Xhaka +? and one of their many 10s isn't particularly impressive. Fred-Pogba seems dodgy to me, but quite similar to Spurs or Chelsea.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Ferguson would win the league with midfields like those.
Lazarus
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
Ferguson would win the league with midfields like those.
I agree with that. It's been about the managers (Second to how shittyly we're run, of course!). Yes the players need to take some responsibility but it's the managers job to focus them on playing in a competitive way.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
sheesh
Legend

1 month ago

Club already in damage limitation mode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49282584
fat maradona
First Teamer

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Fuck british, you pay for hype and expectation. We've already paid over the odds for Bissaka and got rinsed on Maguire. There'll be loads of foreign rough gem CDMs. Just having someone smaller, more agile and intelligent ala Kante will be a big improvement on Joses big old dosser. That's why it's mad that we haven't got one, especially when Ole started the summer saying we need 2 CMs. I can only think Ed reckons Perreira or McTominay will be good enough in the future.
This is the thing though innit, when we have too many foreigners playing in the Prem, we moan like a motherfucker that none of our young lads get a chance, hence why a few fucked off to Germany (none of ours mind).

Arse did well buying Tierney for £25m, I wish we had gone in for him to give Shaw something to think about. Spurs did very well paying sub £20m for Sessegnon but he had stated he only wanted to play for Poch/Spurs. So I disagree that you over pay for British players. Our problem is, we have Terry Fuckwitt in charge of transfers and so we get rinsed. Whether we've overpayed for AWB and Maguire remains to be seen. From what I've seen of AWB in preseason, he looks decent and I think Maguire will make a massive difference to our defence. If this is the case, they will prove to be money well spent.

There seems to be genuine conviction that the latest batch of academy players (those on the tour) are good enough, and again time will tell. Remember when Hanson mocked Fergie for playing the yoot in '95? How we laughed when those lads went on to be part of one of the best sides in United's history.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

sheesh wrote:
1 month ago
Club already in damage limitation mode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49282584
They're going to string us along for another year to counter the flak. Absolute shitshow.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
This is the thing though innit, when we have too many foreigners playing in the Prem, we moan like a motherfucker that none of our young lads get a chance, hence why a few fucked off to Germany (none of ours mind).

Arse did well buying Tierney for £25m, I wish we had gone in for him to give Shaw something to think about. Spurs did very well paying sub £20m for Sessegnon but he had stated he only wanted to play for Poch/Spurs. So I disagree that you over pay for British players. Our problem is, we have Terry Fuckwitt in charge of transfers and so we get rinsed. Whether we've overpayed for AWB and Maguire remains to be seen. From what I've seen of AWB in preseason, he looks decent and I think Maguire will make a massive difference to our defence. If this is the case, they will prove to be money well spent.

There seems to be genuine conviction that the latest batch of academy players (those on the tour) are good enough, and again time will tell. Remember when Hanson mocked Fergie for playing the yoot in '95? How we laughed when those lads went on to be part of one of the best sides in United's history.
That's a fair point. Definitely some of the inflated sums we pay on transfers and wages is because they've got Eds number. And because he's made shit decisions (like giving Jose a massive new deal before his inevitable third season meltdown) so we're always in a pretty desperate state, so they know we'll hand over the money. So tbf it's probably more accurate to say you don't have to overpay for british players, but we always seem to.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

If we were willing to pay 80M for Maguire this summer, why not spend it last summer on Maguire or Koulibaly? Jose probably would have done his traditional third season meltdown anyway, but it does go to show that there's no fucking logic or strategy to it all. If you don't trust Jose, don't keep him on as manager!
fat maradona
First Teamer

1 month ago

Pretty much sums up what everyone thinks - https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... once-again