Who next?

Manchester United chat
Steggo
Legend

8 months ago

Lazarus wrote:
8 months ago
What's the bets the deal to sack him will be much cheaper than Jose and that Ole's future success financially will be tied to success on the pitch. That removes any real barrier to sacking him, therefore allowing us to ride this wave for as long as it pushes us forward. Poch is at Spurs for a while or is going to Real (he'd be going there anyway if they rivaled us) so no harm done. No brainer for me, considering how well he's done already. The players seem to want him and that matters most.
I think the appointment of a DoF would help in the fact that it would give continuity to the club so if Ole fails the club should have a system in place. That would mean that instead of going for the only 'high profile' manager that is available at the time the club could choose a manager that fits the profile of the club.

As for the DoF, all seems to have gone quiet on that front. The board must know that Ole is going to be the next manager so it may be that they will appoint one soon (the sooner the better). Does Ole have a say in the appointment? I hope not as the DoF has to have a certain amount of autonomy from the first team manager. Do we really need a DoF? I would say yes. Most of our dealings in the transfer market over the last 5 years have been poor. We've either bought players to stop other teams getting them,or bought them with no particular use or plan for them (we can all quote a litany of players that have arrived that have either been misused,played out of position or who have just failed).Hopefully with Ole and a DoF in place that will be a thing of the past.
Lazarus
Legend

8 months ago

Steggo wrote:
8 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
8 months ago
What's the bets the deal to sack him will be much cheaper than Jose and that Ole's future success financially will be tied to success on the pitch. That removes any real barrier to sacking him, therefore allowing us to ride this wave for as long as it pushes us forward. Poch is at Spurs for a while or is going to Real (he'd be going there anyway if they rivaled us) so no harm done. No brainer for me, considering how well he's done already. The players seem to want him and that matters most.
I think the appointment of a DoF would help in the fact that it would give continuity to the club so if Ole fails the club should have a system in place. That would mean that instead of going for the only 'high profile' manager that is available at the time the club could choose a manager that fits the profile of the club.

As for the DoF, all seems to have gone quiet on that front. The board must know that Ole is going to be the next manager so it may be that they will appoint one soon (the sooner the better). Does Ole have a say in the appointment? I hope not as the DoF has to have a certain amount of autonomy from the first team manager. Do we really need a DoF? I would say yes. Most of our dealings in the transfer market over the last 5 years have been poor. We've either bought players to stop other teams getting them,or bought them with no particular use or plan for them (we can all quote a litany of players that have arrived that have either been misused,played out of position or who have just failed).Hopefully with Ole and a DoF in place that will be a thing of the past.
I don't care how we go about it, buck stops with Ole or buck stops with DOF, it's all the same to me. How are the players playing? Are we winning? Is the football good? I don't care who is calling the shots above the manager. What if the DOF is an asshole or useless or an ego maniac? I don't care how we get it done as long as it's getting done.

Also it's been much more than 5 years that our transfer dealings have been poor. Fergie made many a disappointing signing, went small when we needed to go big, went cheap when we needed to spend.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
bman2
Legend

8 months ago

Whatever happened to the hiring of a DoF and a rigorous, thorough recruitment process for the next manager? Ole's cheap and not looking to make waves, suddenly all that stuff doesn't seem to matter anymore...
Steggo
Legend

8 months ago

bman2 wrote:
8 months ago
Whatever happened to the hiring of a DoF and a rigorous, thorough recruitment process for the next manager? Ole's cheap and not looking to make waves, suddenly all that stuff doesn't seem to matter anymore...
Exactly. And that’s a bit of a worry.
Lazarus
Legend

8 months ago

Who said it's not happening? Just because they aren't doing the work in the press doesn't mean it's not happening. I'd rather not know until they appoint someone. Besides it's all been press speculation i don't think the club have made an official statement confirming one way or the other.
Lazarus
Legend

8 months ago

Some speculation indicating we're getting a DoF...

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/ed-woodwa ... -structure
bman2
Legend

8 months ago

The sensible approach might be to try to hire Pochettino, and if that doesn't work out, for Ole to be Plan B. That could well be what the club is doing in any case.
FuB
Legend

8 months ago

They made it pretty clear when they sacked Mourinho that they intended to appoint an interim manager, then look towards hiring a permanent manager for next season and have a DoF in place prior to that. Seems to me that they are still within their deadlines so I don't know why any of you have got the impression the DoF concept has died a death in the last couple of months. We've all agreed it's a pivotal and crucial role so I don't want them to just stick any old cunt there for the sake of it. I WANT them to take a bit of time and get the right person in.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
bman2
Legend

8 months ago

Yeah but you want to be in a position to start lining up potential transfers well before the window opens. If the manager situation isn’t sorted we’ll before the summer, you’ll get what we had with Gaal, panic buying Rojo and do María at the close of the window.
Lazarus
Legend

8 months ago

bman2 wrote:
8 months ago
The sensible approach might be to try to hire Pochettino, and if that doesn't work out, for Ole to be Plan B. That could well be what the club is doing in any case.
Maybe Poch can get one of those often trumpeted rarely seen WC performances out of Pogba in the CL?