OGS.....

Manchester United chat
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

brianofnazarethffs wrote: 4 years ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote: 4 years ago
brianofnazarethffs wrote: 4 years ago Has he had the decency to walk yet...

I agree with the stripping of deadwood and building a new team...but I'm doubtful Ole is the man to do it. Needs a top coach to oversee the rebuild... just need one who plays attacking modern football... Klopp was our biggest mistake.
I have to wonder; if we had gotten Klopp would he have gotten the same support from our board as he has gotten from LFC, or would he have gotten the same treatment as Mourinho?
He's managed to take a shitter team (on paper-when he took over) and make them into European champions and no doubt league winners this year. Whilst our team has turned to shite. All with very little spent compared to City/Us. Playing attractive football. Total fuck up by us.
I could only find the transfers in US dollars and working out the pounds for those years would be totally manic.

2016/17: Sade Mane - $46.97m, Winjnaldum - $31.35m, Loris Karius - $7.07m, Ragnar Klavan - $5.07m, Joel Matip - Free, Alexander Manninger - Free
2017/18: Virgil van Dijk - $96.5m, Mohamed Salah - $47.88m, Oxlade Chamberlain - $43.32m, Andrew Robertson - $10.26m, Tony Gallacher - $260k, Dominic Solanke- Free
2018/19: Alisson- $71.25m, Naby Keita - $68.4m, Fabinho - $51.30m, Xherdan Shaqiri $16.76
\2019/20: Sepp van der Berg - $2.17m, Adrian - free

That’s close to $500m and while that’s not near the money we have spent since Sir Alex left it is still a fair amount of beer money. The interesting thing is that it appears that the board committed to a plan and stuck with it, good things happen when you have a plan, work the plan and are willing to stick with it.

Of course we would have to have a plan to begin with.
FuB
Site Admin

Lazarus wrote: 4 years ago Can someone remind me of the time we nearly signed Klopp?
and you the king of searching the web for articles... https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/klopp- ... ter-united
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

I agree with the stripping of deadwood and building a new team...but I'm doubtful Ole is the man to do it. Needs a top coach to oversee the rebuild... just need one who plays attacking modern football... Klopp was our biggest mistake.
I have to wonder; if we had gotten Klopp would he have gotten the same support from our board as he has gotten from LFC, or would he have gotten the same treatment as Mourinho?
He's managed to take a shitter team (on paper-when he took over) and make them into European champions and no doubt league winners this year. Whilst our team has turned to shite. All with very little spent compared to City/Us. Playing attractive football. Total fuck up by us.
I could only find the transfers in US dollars and working out the pounds for those years would be totally manic.

2016/17: Sade Mane - $46.97m, Winjnaldum - $31.35m, Loris Karius - $7.07m, Ragnar Klavan - $5.07m, Joel Matip - Free, Alexander Manninger - Free
2017/18: Virgil van Dijk - $96.5m, Mohamed Salah - $47.88m, Oxlade Chamberlain - $43.32m, Andrew Robertson - $10.26m, Tony Gallacher - $260k, Dominic Solanke- Free
2018/19: Alisson- $71.25m, Naby Keita - $68.4m, Fabinho - $51.30m, Xherdan Shaqiri $16.76

That’s close to $500m and while that’s not near the money we have spent since Sir Alex left it is still a fair amount of beer money. The interesting thing is that it appears that the board committed to a plan and stuck with it, good things happen when you have a plan, work the plan and are willing to stick with it.

More important than the overall spend, look at the success rate of the signings. 80% have been successful - signed with a clear plan in mind. And he rest were signed as cheap understudies anyway.
bman2
Legend

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote: 4 years ago More important than the overall spend, look at the success rate of the signings. 80% have been successful - signed with a clear plan in mind. And he rest were signed as cheap understudies anyway.
One of our problems has been four different managers making transfers decisions, but I'm willing to give all of our post-Ferguson managers a bit of leeway because they've had to deal with no DoF and going through Woodward and this guy Judge. I doubt the managers got their first choice targets very often. More often than not, Woodward is pushing some "big name" signing that a big club and big agents are pushing on him, telling him he'll be a big shot.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Liverpool knew they were backing a winner in Klopp because his philosophy worked at Dortmund (league title, cups, CL final)

But Ole, Phelan and Carrick's is a pale immitation of Joses failed long ball counter philosophy. And when teams sit deep, it results in sideways possession.

So it's alright sticking with a plan so long as you know it's a good one. And ours int. It's very british, very old fashioned. There's leaks coming out about how training is all cardio and no technical work. Ole is looking every bit the british dinosaur that Moyes and Mourinho are.
bman2
Legend

It really is extraordinary that Woodward gave Ole the permanent job so quickly. The guy gets fucking dumber and dumber. Just a couple of weeks ago, he said on the shareholders' conference call that the summer window was so successful that it proved we didn't need a DoF, but now those around Ole and leaking to the press that "we just need to make it to January, we just need to make it to January..." Pretty much everyone could see the summer was a disaster. Yeah we made some promising signings at huge expense, but looking at the big picture of the squad, what has happened was entirely predicted: no fucking goals. Ole chose to go into a season depending on Martial and Rashford for all the goals. The guy's a legend, nothing can take that away from him, and he seems like a really nice guy. But as a manager, he's an idiot. This is a fuck up of epic proportions.

The stuff about his backward training methods seems obviously to be true -- just look at the players. We have no attacking play. We create no chances. And the players are bored, uninterested. They've stopped listening to him, stopped caring.
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote: 4 years ago

Liverpool knew they were backing a winner in Klopp because his philosophy worked at Dortmund (league title, cups, CL final)

But Ole, Phelan and Carrick's is a pale immitation of Joses failed long ball counter philosophy. And when teams sit deep, it results in sideways possession.

So it's alright sticking with a plan so long as you know it's a good one. And ours int. It's very british, very old fashioned. There's leaks coming out about how training is all cardio and no technical work. Ole is looking every bit the british dinosaur that Moyes and Mourinho are.
It's not always a given that backing a winner will come good... backing them is essential though.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

sheesh wrote: 4 years ago This is well worth a watch:

Fascinating that, if what he's saying is true like. I can believe the Glazers wanted Fergie out so they could have more control over the club because the cunt literally did everything. They wanted Woodward in to drive the club from a commercial point of view rather than football, to maximise profit. But obviously they've greatly underestimated how easy it is to learn the football side of things.

You have to laugh when he talks about Joses though. It's all spin. Like he's trying to covince us Jose has to play dogshit defensive football wherever he goes because clubs refused to spend money on quick CBs - when literally Chelsea were writing blank cheques during his two spells there, and Madrid have an endless well of tax free money too. Not to mention the half bil at United and biggest wage bill in sport. This shit discredits him a bit as a journo. Too close to his subject.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

bringing back phelan was a fuckup tbf, everyone knows the faffing crossing dross period began when he replaced queroz
lkhm

hoofing
FuB
Site Admin

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote: 4 years ago bringing back phelan was a fuckup tbf, everyone knows the faffing crossing dross period began when he replaced queroz
i'd actually thought it might have been Phelan doing the good stuff at the beginning when Ole came in but, yeah, you're probably right.