OGS.....

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

2 months ago

Nah, he still has a long way to go tactically. I wish him well but I still don’t believe he’s got what it takes.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

2 months ago

I dont see us getting back to the very top with Ole, being honest. But if he can spend a couple of years stabilising us as a regular top 4 side, getting to the last 8 of the CL, rebalancing the squad and playing style so that it's better balanced, more modern, with more quality and the right characters, itll lay a solid platform for a top coach to come in and put the gloss on. But it's the sustainability that's key - that's why the DOF role and the change in our approach over the last couple of years, need to be sorted and nailed down.
bman2
Legend

2 months ago

Ole has done quite well at rebutting my skepticism earlier in the season. I think 3rd is a good finish in terms of placement, because the fact is that we simply didn't have as good a squad as either Liverpool or City, so really third is as good as you could reasonably ask. But I think we also have to recognise that we got 3rd with only 66 points; if 3rd is ok, 66 points isn't. I wouldn't demand or expect a real title challenge next season, but if the club backs him with some signings, then getting up to about 80 points is a fair demand. And from there you could say that we'd be in a position to kick on and be real contenders the following season.

So there's real progress in terms of the attitude around the club and team spirit and so on. But from a basic numerical perspective, we haven't seen progress in terms of points. Eventually any manager has to deliver that or the rest of it doesn't matter.

13/14 -- Gollum/Giggs -- 64 points
14/15 -- Gaal -- 70 points
15/16 -- Gaal -- 66 points
16/17 -- Jose -- 69 points
17/18 -- Jose -- 81 points
18/19 -- Jose/Ole -- 66 points
19/20 -- Ole -- 66 points
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
Ole has done quite well at rebutting my skepticism earlier in the season. I think 3rd is a good finish in terms of placement, because the fact is that we simply didn't have as good a squad as either Liverpool or City, so really third is as good as you could reasonably ask. But I think we also have to recognise that we got 3rd with only 66 points; if 3rd is ok, 66 points isn't. I wouldn't demand or expect a real title challenge next season, but if the club backs him with some signings, then getting up to about 80 points is a fair demand. And from there you could say that we'd be in a position to kick on and be real contenders the following season.

So there's real progress in terms of the attitude around the club and team spirit and so on. But from a basic numerical perspective, we haven't seen progress in terms of points. Eventually any manager has to deliver that or the rest of it doesn't matter.

13/14 -- Gollum/Giggs -- 64 points
14/15 -- Gaal -- 70 points
15/16 -- Gaal -- 66 points
16/17 -- Jose -- 69 points
17/18 -- Jose -- 81 points
18/19 -- Jose/Ole -- 66 points
19/20 -- Ole -- 66 points
Yeah 3rd is good but 66 points ain't great. But the big difference is the quality of football. Ity dramatically improved since Fernandes got going. We're finally playing an assertive attacking game. That's no mean feat. And it's the key to success these days. This idea that you have to accept shite football in order to get results and win trophies is old fashioned.

But you're right there does have to be progress in terms of points next season. We have to beat more teams. And we should with Fernandes cos there's been a clear improvement in wins / results since he arrived. It's something like 14 wins in 15 innit. So let's see what we can do next season. It should be better, especially if we make a couple more decent signings.
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
2 months ago
I dont see us getting back to the very top with Ole, being honest. But if he can spend a couple of years stabilising us as a regular top 4 side, getting to the last 8 of the CL, rebalancing the squad and playing style so that it's better balanced, more modern, with more quality and the right characters, itll lay a solid platform for a top coach to come in and put the gloss on. But it's the sustainability that's key - that's why the DOF role and the change in our approach over the last couple of years, need to be sorted and nailed down.
I'm not prepared to write him off just yet cos I think the Ole era is supported by Fergie and others who're all singing from the same hymn sheet now, and have the experience to bag a big trophy. But you're probably right, it might take another manager coming in and building on his foundations. But the foundations aren't laid yet. There's still a lot of shite that need to go, and their wages go to better players. Ditching Sanchez is massive cos it means keeping Greenwood and signing Sancho. Two world class youth for one old dosser. But he's only half way through the job when you look at the squad. But at least Jones, Lingard etc are squad players not failed first teamers earning half a mil a week. But if he could finish that part of the job this summer it would be massive.
fat maradona
Star Man

2 months ago

Sid wrote:
2 months ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
2 months ago
I'm not prepared to write him off just yet cos I think the Ole era is supported by Fergie and others who're all singing from the same hymn sheet now, and have the experience to bag a big trophy. But you're probably right, it might take another manager coming in and building on his foundations. But the foundations aren't laid yet. There's still a lot of shite that need to go, and their wages go to better players. Ditching Sanchez is massive cos it means keeping Greenwood and signing Sancho. Two world class youth for one old dosser. But he's only half way through the job when you look at the squad. But at least Jones, Lingard etc are squad players not failed first teamers earning half a mil a week. But if he could finish that part of the job this summer it would be massive.
I find it laughable that this is the season that Ole wants to get rid of dross but it was he (ok, the Board) that gave new contracts to Jones & Mata, and now we are looking for buyers. We won't get much for them, might even break even with the wages we've paid them, wouldn't it make more sense to let them be free agents and then fuck 'em off.
bman2
Legend

2 months ago

I think we’ll keep Mata on for another season, I think he’s only season to season now isn’t he? Pretty sure his contract is up next summer anyway. He’s a good sort, accepts squad rotation, still shows occasional quality.

Jones is just one of several CBs who can’t be counted on and is in the way of getting someone better. Think he’ll be gone. Some club in the PL or Championship will pick him up for a tenner. I mean a literal tenner, not ten million.
bman2
Legend

2 months ago

Nah. He’s definitely good at what he does, but he changes jobs very quickly and always gets into arguments with his employers. You’d need a different set up, one more like Chelsea where the club is structured so it can chop and change managers easily.

Although it would be fun for the shit he’d talk about Woodward and the Glazers.
sheesh
Legend

1 month ago

Whether or not Ole is the right man for the job is a moot argument (although the press will have a field day when results go the wrong way).

He will be the fall guy next season due to issues at the club that have nothing to do with him.