OGS.....

Manchester United chat
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

3 weeks ago

The last thing we should be doing is hiring another manager to placate or 'get the best out of Pogba'. The cunt can go. Doesn't want to be here, so move him on for the best price and focus on getting in the best attacking a defensive midfielders we can find.

I care much more about the 5-6 signings we need to make over January and the summer than I do about Ole. He isn't the long term answer, but I'd only really push for him to go when he's failing to compete for the big trophies AFTER being given a squad capable of doing so. And I don't see many obvious candidates at this time either, so better to wait until the right man is staring you in the face.

Rodgers could be an option - I like his approach, he's got Leicester flying etc, but I'd like to see him do it over a year or two before lumping on him.
Poch - Probably the best option out there, but he doesn't seem to be able to stop Spurs implosion and his football, while effective, basically relies on Kane. Its quite defensive, all told.

Who else is there? Pep ain't gonna come here, even if he leaves City. That young fella at Leipzig could be decent but its early days. Wagner learned under Klopp but he isn't ready for a big role yet. Ten Hag? doing great things at Ajax - but he's a coach that has a solid foundation in terms of recruitment and coaching. And that's my point - focus on getting the foundations right in terms of a DoF and recruitment, then we can worry about who our coach is.
bman2
Legend

3 weeks ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
3 weeks ago
The last thing we should be doing is hiring another manager to placate or 'get the best out of Pogba'. The cunt can go. Doesn't want to be here, so move him on for the best price and focus on getting in the best attacking a defensive midfielders we can find.

I care much more about the 5-6 signings we need to make over January and the summer than I do about Ole. He isn't the long term answer, but I'd only really push for him to go when he's failing to compete for the big trophies AFTER being given a squad capable of doing so. And I don't see many obvious candidates at this time either, so better to wait until the right man is staring you in the face.

Rodgers could be an option - I like his approach, he's got Leicester flying etc, but I'd like to see him do it over a year or two before lumping on him.
Poch - Probably the best option out there, but he doesn't seem to be able to stop Spurs implosion and his football, while effective, basically relies on Kane. Its quite defensive, all told.

Who else is there? Pep ain't gonna come here, even if he leaves City. That young fella at Leipzig could be decent but its early days. Wagner learned under Klopp but he isn't ready for a big role yet. Ten Hag? doing great things at Ajax - but he's a coach that has a solid foundation in terms of recruitment and coaching. And that's my point - focus on getting the foundations right in terms of a DoF and recruitment, then we can worry about who our coach is.
Yeah, much as I rate Pogba as a player, we can't be making him bigger than the club and signing managers on that basis.

Bringing in an experienced DoF ought to be obvious at this point: they'd help Ole succeed, and if Ole didn't succeed they'd help provide some continuity and be an informed voice in choosing the next manager. Someone who'd actually ask managerial candidates about football, which Gaal says Woodward never did.
marlon
Legend

3 weeks ago

bman2 wrote:
3 weeks ago
marlon wrote:
3 weeks ago
Allegri is likely the safest realistic option we have, but in Solskjaer's defence, expected goals models have us as the 4th best team so far (and closer to Liverpool/Chelsea than Leicester). I know everyone here hates stats, but even if we just scored the 4 pens we missed, our season would look quite different.
Where are you getting the xg stats? What I've noticed is that essentially half of our shots come from outside the box, which is a lot more than the other top teams. We also have very few goal scorers in the league, just 5 different players I think at the moment. Both of these reflect what I see when we play: lack of creativity, static attacking, except for the odd occasion against a team that's very open at the back. Leicester is similar, but one obvious advantage they have over us at the moment is that they score from set pieces, 5 to our solitary set piece goal.

We're in that zone behind the league's leading pack, where a few goals or a couple of wins moves you up or down the table dramatically.

Results aside though, what I really want to see from Ole, if he's going to convince me, is an improvement in our play and a consistent tactical positive impact. We can't just keep on being a bus parking counter-attacking team, the happy and jovial (but less effective) version of Joseball. If we don't score first, we're fucked, it's tedious. We also always seem to be worse in the second half, which maybe suggests that the other team's manager is usually adjusting at half time more effectively than Ole is.
This site lets you separate out penalties from xG (and even then we're top 4)
https://understat.com/league/EPL

This site includes defensive positioning so their numbers should be more accurate
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/Premier-League-Stats

According to the 2nd site, a full third of our attacking xG came against Norwich and Brighton - a month ago our attack was probably bottom 5 in the league. But we've been a top 4-ish xG team all season because we've had the best defence and aside from the top 3 no one else has been particularly impressive either.

I agree with your last para. His subs are always too late and they rarely change anything. Our attack only works when there's lots of space, but you could see how he wants it to work against Brighton - the midfielders were mostly playing it forward, it was fast and direct, but it needs much better players in midfield to actually make it work. I'm cutting him some slack for now because of the players we lost this summer and because we've spent most of the season without Pogba and Martial with such a thin squad. It helps that Spurs and Arsenal have been even worse.
Lazarus
Legend

3 weeks ago

ZeBlamelessOle wrote:
3 weeks ago
Lazarus wrote:
3 weeks ago
Fuck me, dumb has found dumber...... Hope this new guy can at least stick to one opinion.
So anyone who doesn't rate st. Ole is dumb?
No.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Lazarus
Legend

3 weeks ago

bman2 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Lazarus wrote:
3 weeks ago
Fuck me, dumb has found dumber...... Hope this new guy can at least stick to one opinion.
Your contribution to this thread has been to confuse a geriatric for one of the hottest current managers in the game, call another poster a wanker, then when your obvious ignorance is pointed out to you, say you're not going to listen to his arguments anyway. I'm enjoying the discussion Ze's posts have generated. You do realise that you always have the option of not posting when you have nothing to say?
:))

The wanker was Zebs who i like a lot, so don't you worry about that Mr Sensitive on others behalf. I believe my contribution to this thread is substantially more than you'd care to acknowledge. And yes i made a mistake reading a post that contained a word salad of managers, how stupid am I?

Not as stupid as you is the answer. Try sticking to one opinion for a change ffs, you're all over the place. Sack Ole one day, keep him another, Pogba's Wc, Pogba's good, Pogba should go, get Rodgers, get Poch. You mentioned my contribution to this thread, go back and read your posts about Ole they're embarrassing.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

XG is mostly bollocks. The academicisation of football.
marlon
Legend

3 weeks ago

Its just putting a number on how good a chance is. It's not everything but it's useful
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

3 weeks ago

What the fuck is XG?

Sounds like the latest iPhone.
ZeBlamelessOle
Youth Teamer

3 weeks ago

bman2 wrote:
3 weeks ago
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
3 weeks ago

Yeah, much as I rate Pogba as a player, we can't be making him bigger than the club and signing managers on that basis.

Bringing in an experienced DoF ought to be obvious at this point: they'd help Ole succeed, and if Ole didn't succeed they'd help provide some continuity and be an informed voice in choosing the next manager. Someone who'd actually ask managerial candidates about football, which Gaal says Woodward never did.
Ole has said he's fine with the structure and Woodward has proven that he's not willing to give up any power, so my rationale for getting Allegri is partly rooted in getting a DOF. Moreover, unlike LVG, Allegri is entering his prime as a manager, is of the Ancelotti mould and will attract world class players. He's also likely to set pre-conditions to the board pertaining to funding and DOF while not being afraid to stand his ground. Also a winner who never failed to achieve Champions League qualification with Milan despite his squad being gutted by Berlusconi and his daughter.
ZeBlamelessOle
Youth Teamer

3 weeks ago

bman2 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Lazarus wrote:
3 weeks ago
Your contribution to this thread has been to confuse a geriatric for one of the hottest current managers in the game, call another poster a wanker, then when your obvious ignorance is pointed out to you, say you're not going to listen to his arguments anyway. I'm enjoying the discussion Ze's posts have generated. You do realise that you always have the option of not posting when you have nothing to say?
I'd take Lippi over Ole tbh. Man is a winner who Sir Alex Ferguson himself admired.