this 'united way' shite

Manchester United chat
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

7 years ago

all the top reds like nev keep going on about it

hiring a british manager in motes was the utd way, we don't hire any of these new foreigners you see about

giving him loads of time and cash is the utd way cause we don't sack managers because we're better than other clubs

loads of crosses is the utd way or 'in our genes', the middle of the pitch is for benders

width etc

tbf some of it is true like the shite about width, but I don't remember ron crossing the ball much when we were the best team in europe tbf
lkhm

hoofing
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

7 years ago

Any principles which we profess to be 'the United Way' are dead.

The game has changed and if we don't evolve with it, we'll be left behind. Permanently.

Patience can be a virtue, but if you're investing it in a person who's never cut out for the job, its just misguided, and it will set us back in every way possible.

Other than being Fergie's pick, and having several years of management experience in the PL, what credentials does he have that support his appointment as a manager at a club like ours? I can't see any. He's never won anything, his brand of football is outdated, he's not known for being tactically astute, he's never really managed big players/egos, he's never had to master the art of manipulating the media, his training methods are old fashioned. He NEVER turned in eye catching wins in big games against top sides. In fact, on the rare occasions where his everton side threatened to actually win anything, their arse fell out when it really mattered.

In footballing terms, it was a mental appointment. But, as has been documented, he fit the Glazer profile, and their assumption (backed by Fergie's faith in Moyes) would have been that the worst that would happen would be that we fail to challenge for the league but would be comfortably top 4, and revenue streams and share prices would continue unaffected. Their whole outlook must have been challenged with how things are panning out.

Their arses must be twitching, that's for sure.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

7 years ago

Moyes is basically Scottish Sam fucking Allardyce. But without any sort of wit or humour.
Lazarus
Legend

7 years ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:all the top reds like nev keep going on about it

hiring a british manager in motes was the utd way, we don't hire any of these new foreigners you see about

giving him loads of time and cash is the utd way cause we don't sack managers because we're better than other clubs

loads of crosses is the utd way or 'in our genes', the middle of the pitch is for benders

width etc

tbf some of it is true like the shite about width, but I don't remember ron crossing the ball much when we were the best team in europe tbf

Rememeber when we used to take it out wide then cut it back to the edge of the box for a player to arrive from midfield and shoot or lay it off for someone else. Kept the opposition guessing.

This we don't sack managers is bullshit. Fergie's been around since before the perm started. Football has changed and we were lucky to have a manager who didn't need replacing until near the end of his reign when the club held on to him too long. It was a lucky accident that we were not in the same position as most other teams. Now it's become a legend!!!! FFS!
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

7 years ago

Its folly to compare the patience afforded to Ferguson and the current situation with Moyes.

For the vast majority of Fergie's reign we didn't really have to be patient, because we had a period of consistent success over 20 years. The only really challenging spell was from 86 to 90. And he had a track record to support his credentials, and the foundations being laid were there for those to see at Board level.

We don't have any issues with the foundations of the club (save for the owners!), and whilst the squad does need some major surgery, there's still enough there for a competent manager to deliver better football and results to challenge for a top 4 spot.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

7 years ago

There's nothing wrong with having a manager for many years, as long as the team evolves and the football keeps up with the changes... Ferguson used to manage this... not so much the football, but he was famous for rebuilding the team when it needed reinvigorating... then along came the Glazers and Ferguson stopped being a manager a became their representative...

But I'm still all for getting the right man, and giving him the same chance Ferguson had,(relative to the times), to build another empire... United is unmatched in its financial potential, and a long term plan that uses the money we earn wisely, can only make us greater... we should have the biggest stadium, the cheapest tickets, the loudest fans, the best academies, the best youth system, the widest scouting network, the best physios, the best coaches, the coolest kit, pay the best wages, to the best players, working for the best manager, playing the best football, etc, etc, all of this leading to United becoming even more popular, and attracting even more fans, and on, and on...

The simple math... most money, best chance to be the best, at everything...

But you need owners that give a fuck about the fans, before you can think like that.
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Lazarus
Legend

7 years ago

We get the right man and all this looks after itself. Getting the right man is the tricky part. And we haven't got him now. Could it be as simple as getting rid of Moyes and letting Giggs see out the season under no pressure, see how he does and if the team unite around him and play with hunger for one of their own. Them maybe a two year contract to keep him on his toes until he turns into the real deal.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

7 years ago

I wonder what Hoddle would do with the job?
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Lazarus
Legend

7 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:I wonder what Hoddle would do with the job?
I can see why you'd think him but fuck can you imagine the shit we and he would have to listen to. But then if he was making us play good football and getting results, fuck em!
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

7 years ago

Hoddle was before his team when he was in charge of England, to an extent. Tactically switched on, technically a good coach. He'd have us playing better football than Moyes, but how many years has it been since he managed anyone? Was England his last job? Its a hell of an ask to walk into a club like United after being out of the game for so long.

The more I think of it, the more I think Pochettino could be spot on for us, if he could grasp the language properly.