Not just a shit beer: Corona and football

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

I can see the Government wanting football back because it'll serve as a handy tool to distract the masses. And I can see the Premier League wanting games to come back purely through commercial and financial desperation. Looking at some of the criteria and controls being suggested for its return though, it doesn't look workable. And for the lower leagues, not only can they not have a hope in hell of applying those controls - the extra cost and the lack of revenue because of no crowds being in, will finish off many, many clubs.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Aye Ash, it's interesting how it was the government that specifically told Prem clubs to get ready. Like you say, it's to boost moral and to distract from the horrendous job the gov has done containing the virus

But I'm just reading that Macron in france has banned all live sport until at least september https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -september

Given that we're on course to have the highest death toll in europe we should probably follow france's strict lead. Also can't see how the CL can start again if Lyon and PSG can't compete

It's looking like the easiest thing to do is to cancel the season and start again.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Aye Ash, it's interesting how it was the government that specifically told Prem clubs to get ready. Like you say, it's to boost moral and to distract from the horrendous job the gov has done containing the virus

But I'm just reading that Macron in france has banned all live sport until at least september https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -september

Given that we're on course to have the highest death toll in europe we should probably follow france's strict lead. Also can't see how the CL can start again if Lyon and PSG can't compete

It's looking like the easiest thing to do is to cancel the season and start again.
Aye, agreed. And I'm not sure whether its media sensationalism but I've just read online that Germanys infection rate has crept up to 0.96 since they started to ease lockdown restrictions. They have a similar goal of keeping the R Rate to a max of 1.0 that SAGE has indicated for the UK, to keep the pandemic 'manageable' in Germany. So I'm not convinced they'll be starting football up again in mid May as they'd like to.

The lack of coordination from UEFA is shocking. Well, it isnt, because it's not about football anymore is it? It's all about the money. If it was a about football and preserving the game for fans, theyd just end all seasons now and plan for a new season, possibly with a later start date.
bman2
Legend

I think it's stupid to start the season again. It's going to be shit, matches in empty stadiums, players half fit, endless debate about whether it's safe, matches getting canceled or postponed because inevitably somebody will test positive. Why try to finish the season in a half-arsed way that's only going to ruin next season as well. Better to aim to start again in September, do it right.

I don't think even Liverpool fans could be that bothered to watch the actual matches on television, it'll be lifeless and boring.
bman2
Legend

Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago
Sid wrote: 3 years ago Aye Ash, it's interesting how it was the government that specifically told Prem clubs to get ready. Like you say, it's to boost moral and to distract from the horrendous job the gov has done containing the virus

Aye, agreed. And I'm not sure whether its media sensationalism but I've just read online that Germanys infection rate has crept up to 0.96 since they started to ease lockdown restrictions. They have a similar goal of keeping the R Rate to a max of 1.0 that SAGE has indicated for the UK, to keep the pandemic 'manageable' in Germany. So I'm not convinced they'll be starting football up again in mid May as they'd like to.

The lack of coordination from UEFA is shocking. Well, it isnt, because it's not about football anymore is it? It's all about the money. If it was a about football and preserving the game for fans, theyd just end all seasons now and plan for a new season, possibly with a later start date.
I'm sure that's right. The situation is very simple and easy to understand. The virus is extremely contagious. They think the natural infection rate might be R6, which is a lot more infectious than flu, and we've never managed to make the flu disappear. The more people move about, the more people will get it. The only solution (until there's a safe and effective vaccine, which might never actually happen) is to permanently invest in expanding the health system's capacity to treat people, while also providing treatment as normal for non-covid-19 cases. That will at least give you a bit more capacity to open things up. With a health system with greater capacity -- which Germany already has compared to places like the UK - you can open things up a bit, but you probably can't go back to normal for a long long time. Crowds, public events, public transport -- simply no way to stop infections from jumping with those.

There's probably a good few elderlies that will spend the rest of their lives in lockdown.
swampash
Legend

The right thing to do would be to treat all remaining games as if they were non-score draws. That way you freeze league positions at their pre-corona state. Liverpool would rightly be awarded the PL trophy. Automatic promotions and relegation could go ahead, but forget the relegation playoffs.
Probably not going to happen though, as the sponsors would want their money back...
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

swampash wrote: 3 years ago The right thing to do would be to treat all remaining games as if they were non-score draws. That way you freeze league positions at their pre-corona state. Liverpool would rightly be awarded the PL trophy. Automatic promotions and relegation could go ahead, but forget the relegation playoffs.
Probably not going to happen though, as the sponsors would want their money back...
Thing is you can't relegate teams that have 9/10 games left cos they could have got themselves out of relegation. If this happened the affected clubs would launch a massive legal fight for the loss of Prem money. And they'd probably win.

For me the best thing is to void the season and start again. The only team that lose out in that scenario is Liverpool who won't be given the trophy cos they haven't mathematically won. But that's not a big issue really, compared to relagating teams who could go out of business without Prem money - when they could have got themselves safe
swampash
Legend

Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 3 years ago I've just read online that Germanys infection rate has crept up to 0.96
I don't know where this figure is coming from or why it is being peddled. The rate, confirmed by the RKI this morning, is 0.76.
Jason
Star Man

Sid wrote: 3 years ago
swampash wrote: 3 years ago The right thing to do would be to treat all remaining games as if they were non-score draws. That way you freeze league positions at their pre-corona state. Liverpool would rightly be awarded the PL trophy. Automatic promotions and relegation could go ahead, but forget the relegation playoffs.
Thing is you can't relegate teams that have 9/10 games left cos they could have got themselves out of relegation. If this happened the affected clubs would launch a massive legal fight for the loss of Prem money. And they'd probably win.

For me the best thing is to void the season and start again. The only team that lose out in that scenario is Liverpool who won't be given the trophy cos they haven't mathematically won. But that's not a big issue really, compared to relagating teams who could go out of business without Prem money - when they could have got themselves safe
Agreed on this, if the season can't be completed, you can't take it as is. Its either finish it( if its safe to do so, or prolong it and risk writing off next season to complete it), or void it.

The teams that are just about in the relegation fight have it all to play for, and is just as unfair on them, as it would be on liverpool. The only losers with a void are liverpool.

To a lesser degree the void hurts us as well, I fancied our chances of sneaking the top4, or even another EL win to get back into CL. Obviously nowhere near the level that liverpool are affected by a void decision.

From football perspective, its a cluster fuck, and not one that will be easily sorted, without all sorts of lawsuits/compensations for those teams that are hard done by.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Sergio Aguero: Manchester City striker says most players fearful of returning

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... d-pandemic

Can't see the government getting their way and bringing the Prem back