Summer of discontent...

Manchester United chat
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

2 months ago

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

2 months ago

Good, but very depressing read. We're simply not a football club any more. Maybe it needs to take something very serious and desperate to get these fuckers out, and start with a clean broom.
bman2
Legend

2 months ago

Leicester are beating City. Leicester and Everton are in position to make a strong run at top 4. Good managers, good squads, and in a funny season with little pre-season, the lack of European football will be a big help for many teams in the league. or does Leicester have Europa? I don’t remember. But either way, I think top 4 is really open this season, maybe the title too.

Not for us though.
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
Leicester are beating City. Leicester and Everton are in position to make a strong run at top 4. Good managers, good squads, and in a funny season with little pre-season, the lack of European football will be a big help for many teams in the league. or does Leicester have Europa? I don’t remember. But either way, I think top 4 is really open this season, maybe the title too.

Not for us though.
I think the lack of a proper preseason is acting as a leveler - for now at least. You'd think the big clubs with big squads will fair better from january onwards. But it's been a funny old season already. A shitload of goals. 21 pens in 25 games.

In retrospect they probably should have started the season a month later to give everyone adequate rest.
fat maradona
Star Man

1 month ago

The below is bang on the money:

"Rebuild the squad at great expense in the transfer market and you are still left with a manager who is yet to prove his long-term suitability for the role.

Change the manager and you still have the club hierarchy responsible for implementing the structures and processes which are yet to succeed up to this point.

Replace the club hierarchy and you are still left with the ownership, who are the least likely of all to depart any time soon.

The problems run deep. There is no quick fix, no panacea, no single silver bullet. They are as total and as comprehensive as they were seven years ago, only with a few more things to add to the list.

United have to improve in a number of areas, including passing, creating chances, attacking set-pieces, breaking down low blocks, playing out from the back, balancing their midfield, scouting players, negotiating transfer fees, and - on Sunday’s evidence - defending. Especially defending"
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Spot on. We need new owners. For me the only ones that truly have the clubs interests at heart are the fans. Fan ownership is a popular, workable model that's used all over Europe and is written in to law. It stops cunts like the Glazers taking over and extracting billions. Fans would never do that, they'd reinvest it. They'd also appoint competent people into key roles and hold em to account so you'd get no Ed Woodwards. And if you did, they wouldn't last long.
fat maradona
Star Man

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Spot on. We need new owners. For me the only ones that truly have the clubs interests at heart are the fans. Fan ownership is a popular, workable model that's used all over Europe and is written in to law. It stops cunts like the Glazers taking over and extracting billions. Fans would never do that, they'd reinvest it. They'd also appoint competent people into key roles and hold em to account so you'd get no Ed Woodwards. And if you did, they wouldn't last long.
I think Sheesh said it yesterday, Woodward is actually really good at his job. His job being CEO of Manchester United PLC. Looking after finances and sponsorship deals and global partnerships and the like. He's probably better than David Gill or Martin Edwards in that role. What he isn't good at is the actual footballing side of it. His no 2, Matt Judge, is just as unqualified to look after footballing matters.

Whether we like it or not, the Glazers are not going to sell the club. Not unless someone comes in with £2-3 billion. No one is that rich and so we have to accept their ownership. And what comes with that is that we also have to accept the debt/interest repayments and their dividends. After all those outgoings, the club still have a transfer budget in excess of nearly everyone bar City and Chelsea. And so the starting point is to recruit people to properly manage the footballing side of the business. A decent DoF and supporting team would make much better decisions than those made by bankers. But we all know this.

Interesting to read that Barca are nearly €900m in debt. I did think that should make me feel better about our position at United but people in glass houses etc.....
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
I think Sheesh said it yesterday, Woodward is actually really good at his job. His job being CEO of Manchester United PLC. Looking after finances and sponsorship deals and global partnerships and the like. He's probably better than David Gill or Martin Edwards in that role. What he isn't good at is the actual footballing side of it. His no 2, Matt Judge, is just as unqualified to look after footballing matters.

Whether we like it or not, the Glazers are not going to sell the club. Not unless someone comes in with £2-3 billion. No one is that rich and so we have to accept their ownership. And what comes with that is that we also have to accept the debt/interest repayments and their dividends. After all those outgoings, the club still have a transfer budget in excess of nearly everyone bar City and Chelsea. And so the starting point is to recruit people to properly manage the footballing side of the business. A decent DoF and supporting team would make much better decisions than those made by bankers. But we all know this.

Interesting to read that Barca are nearly €900m in debt. I did think that should make me feel better about our position at United but people in glass houses etc.....
Ed's not that good though. The evidence is mounting up. The turnover plataued before coronavirus, and we're set to fall behind City and Liverpool domestically having already fallen behind Barca and Madrid. Financially we're going to be knocked off our perch in England. It's already happened on the pitch.

For proper ownership change it's probably as important to fight politically for nationalisation as it to protest outside Old Trafford. But a Tory gov isn't gonna deliver the fan ownership model or even the ability to get rid of shit owners. They're letting a deadly pandemic be handled by the private sector as well as other vital services, so they aren't gonna stop rich cunts like the Glazers buying clubs and ruining em. And of course they daren't say anything to the Saudis, qataris, yanks etc.

I also understand this is asking a lot from some of you / fans in general, as became apparent in our political convos, cos both right wingers and 'sensible' liberals agree with full privatisation these days. Neolib economics are the default. They're "the way things are". Other countries look on in despair tbf, even right wing ones that have sensibly maintained the odd nationalised company / industry, whereas we're going down the full US route.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

About Barca's debt, it's been the case for decades. They're never gonna have to pay it off cos they're essentially nationalised. As Rant Ed once said football clubs are like museums; prestigious, full of history and terrible businesses. Museums aren't run for profit, they're there to educate & entertain. So they spend 350,000 on a 2000 year old bit of pottery people spend 5 seconds looking at in the museum. Bad business, but fulfils their primary purpose of entertaining and educating.

It's the same with football. They're shit businesses cos all the money is reinvested in wages, transfers and running costs (as it should be). It's only when you have owners that want dividends, and in our case massive refinancing, that you get the problems we have cos it means extracting shitloads. Literally more than a billion. And that's going to impact on the pitch and thus the entertainment.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
About Barca's debt, it's been the case for decades. They're never gonna have to pay it off cos they're essentially nationalised. As Rant Ed once said football clubs are like museums; prestigious, full of history and terrible businesses. Museums aren't run for profit, they're there to educate & entertain. So they spend 350,000 on a 2000 year old bit of pottery people spend 5 seconds looking at in the museum. Bad business, but fulfils their primary purpose of entertaining and educating.

It's the same with football. They're shit businesses cos all the money is reinvested in wages, transfers and running costs (as it should be). It's only when you have owners that want dividends, and in our case massive refinancing, that you get the problems we have cos it means extracting shitloads. Literally more than a billion. And that's going to impact on the pitch and thus the entertainment.
Easier to justify spending public money on history than shovelling cash into the pockets of some 20 year old spitroasting drunk girls in Mykonos just because he’s good at kicking a football...