Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
fat maradona
Legend

Martial likely to be out of the game at the weekend due to 'minor hamstring injury' and so it'll be interesting to see if ETH plays CR7 or whether he shows who the boss is and plays without him.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago Martial likely to be out of the game at the weekend due to 'minor hamstring injury' and so it'll be interesting to see if ETH plays CR7 or whether he shows who the boss is and plays without him.
That's really shit. We can't rely on Martial. I reckon Ron starts now, and it will fuck the dressing room up cos it means he can't be isolated, he has to be included.
bman2
Legend

The squad is so thin in midfield and attack, it’s unreal. And it’s not like the starters are all that impressive to begin with.This squad is supposed to play a pressing game twice a week, with the WC in the middle of the season? It’s going to be a shit show.
bman2
Legend

Let’s approach assessing the squad from another perspective. Which of our players do you think is good enough for a proper top four side, the kind of side that could make a decent run at winning a title?

I think possibly a fit Varane and Eriksen, but beyond them, no one has convinced me.
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 1 year ago Let’s approach assessing the squad from another perspective. Which of our players do you think is good enough for a proper top four side, the kind of side that could make a decent run at winning a title?

I think possibly a fit Varane and Eriksen, but beyond them, no one has convinced me.
Only Ronaldo. The jury's out on Eriksen (at least for us).
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 1 year ago
bman2 wrote: 1 year ago Let’s approach assessing the squad from another perspective. Which of our players do you think is good enough for a proper top four side, the kind of side that could make a decent run at winning a title?

Only Ronaldo. The jury's out on Eriksen (at least for us).
Ronaldo is available for transfer. The fact that no title contenders seem interested in signing him suggests he’s no longer in that tier of player.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

I think Varane may be a busted flush. But I take your point. Malacia is hopefully one with potential, likewise Garnacho. The rest - nope. Its a massive rebuild job. I'd have actually looked to shift Bruno on in the summer. I think he's over rated and would command a good fee. Move away from those number 10 types and build a modern, 433 system. Sancho is young and could improve, but he looks limited.

What this summer really needed was a proper push for 5 or 6 quality players. And I don't mean the likes of Malacia. I mean first team ready players. We need 9 or 10 players over 2 years coming in. That needs ruthlessness in scouting and aggression in recruitment. We have none of that.

All summer long I've been reading that the 'United Board are relaxed in their move for De Jong and refuse to overpay for players'. Well I'm glad they were so fucking relaxed, because the impending move to desperation was so depressingly predictable. We know these players lack the talent and character take us to the top level. And under Glazer rule we'll never see the level and type of recruitment we need, because they don't give a shit.
bman2
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago

I think Varane may be a busted flush. But I take your point. Malacia is hopefully one with potential, likewise Garnacho. The rest - nope. Its a massive rebuild job. I'd have actually looked to shift Bruno on in the summer. I think he's over rated and would command a good fee. Move away from those number 10 types and build a modern, 433 system. Sancho is young and could improve, but he looks limited.

What this summer really needed was a proper push for 5 or 6 quality players. And I don't mean the likes of Malacia. I mean first team ready players. We need 9 or 10 players over 2 years coming in. That needs ruthlessness in scouting and aggression in recruitment. We have none of that.

All summer long I've been reading that the 'United Board are relaxed in their move for De Jong and refuse to overpay for players'. Well I'm glad they were so fucking relaxed, because the impending move to desperation was so depressingly predictable. We know these players lack the talent and character take us to the top level. And under Glazer rule we'll never see the level and type of recruitment we need, because they don't give a shit.
I agree with a lot of that. Bruno has offered nothing for a while now, and Sancho looks no better than Pereira, similarly limited. But it’s definitely too soon to write Sancho off, given he’s young and is still sort of new to the league.

Given how bad last season’s squad was, before it lost half a dozen players, at a minimum four starters needed to be signed this summer. That was just the minimum required to have a chance at top four.

The Brighton game confirmed that even under the new manager Maguire, Fred, and McTominay are totally useless. A transfer window that didn’t start out by replacing them isn’t serious about getting us back to CL level.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Lots of fresh talk that Hag is done with Ronaldo and wants rid, as long as we get someone in.
bman2
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago Lots of fresh talk that Hag is done with Ronaldo and wants rid, as long as we get someone in.
It’s sensible to let Ronaldo go. But that was obvious in June when his agent announced his intention to leave. But we’ve done nothing to replace him all summer, and now whatever replacement we get will be a desperation signing. If we even manage to sign a replacement.

So predictable.