Erik Ten Hag

Manchester United chat
sheesh
Legend

dozer wrote: 1 year ago
sheesh wrote: 1 year ago This is what Fabrizio says:

Maybe he'll have 2 assistants?
I can't tell which one is ETH from that picture.
Yeah, I had to do a double-take as well :))
fat maradona
Legend

The way ETH has been speaking reminds of Fergie back in the very late 80's and early 90's. Meticulous about everything and didn't give a shit about players reputations, everything had to be done his way and he neeed to be involved in everything. Not sure if modern football clubs can be run this way anymore due to the size of them but it's what we need after years of having the club run by too many people that don't talk to each other.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago The way ETH has been speaking reminds of Fergie back in the very late 80's and early 90's. Meticulous about everything and didn't give a shit about players reputations, everything had to be done his way and he neeed to be involved in everything. Not sure if modern football clubs can be run this way anymore due to the size of them but it's what we need after years of having the club run by too many people that don't talk to each other.
I think that's exactly how the likes of Klopp, Pep, Conte, Tuchel operate too. Obsessive about detail.

I firmly believe Hag will be backed by supporters. I think he'll be given time.
bman2
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago The way ETH has been speaking reminds of Fergie back in the very late 80's and early 90's. Meticulous about everything and didn't give a shit about players reputations, everything had to be done his way and he neeed to be involved in everything. Not sure if modern football clubs can be run this way anymore due to the size of them but it's what we need after years of having the club run by too many people that don't talk to each other.
Yeah the key is to have other people at the club on the same page as the manager, so the manager doesn't have to micromanage everything.
sheesh
Legend

Well worth listening to this:

https://theathletic.com/podcast/162-tal ... pisode=152

Marcel van der Kraan (Dutch journalist) talks to journalists from the Athletic about ten Hag, inc his initial early struggles at Ajax. He also talks about what Steve McClaren will bring to United.

Skip past the early about the media football match at Old Trafford.
bman2
Legend

sheesh wrote: 1 year ago Well worth listening to this:

https://theathletic.com/podcast/162-tal ... pisode=152

Marcel van der Kraan (Dutch journalist) talks to journalists from the Athletic about ten Hag, inc his initial early struggles at Ajax. He also talks about what Steve McClaren will bring to United.

Skip past the early about the media football match at Old Trafford.
Cool, I’ll give it a listen doing the dishes.
bman2
Legend

That was an interesting interview with the Dutch journalist. He said TH is very focused on coaching and training, and that he wasnt the type of manager to focus on deals and transfers. So it will be an immediate test of the club’s reforms in that area. Can they get the players he needs, and can they get them in early in time for pre-season? Thats a huge challenge for United.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Yeah - so he's entirely focussed on training, not transfers etc. Thing is he won't get 8/9 players in one window that are used to modern football and mouldable, he'll get 2/3 tops. So he's going to have to work with established pros with big egos like Shaw, Rashford, Maguire etc and try and get them on board - for a season at least. I can see lots of drama.

The big test for the club is to not wilt if/when the players start briefing against Hag and we start seeing stories like the players don't respect McClaren, Hag can't hack it at a big club etc.
swampash
Legend

McLaren should be a big help there. Can imagine him deflating a few overhyped egos.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

swampash wrote: 1 year ago McLaren should be a big help there. Can imagine him deflating a few overhyped egos.
I think its exactly why he's been brought on board. To navigate the relationship aspects of the dressing room on behalf of Ten Hag.