mourinho aint much cop then

Manchester United chat
Neil
First Teamer

5 years ago

Mourinho, undoubtedly one of the most overrated managers of all time. I am quite enjoying his downfall at Chelsea, although not as much as the Chelsea players will enjoy it when he gets sacked.

In the past I did consider him to be a strong candidate for the United job, but his preferred style of play is totally at odds with United's, although sadly as we know all too well, so is the style that Van Gaal has chosen...

Anyway, onto my theory on Mourinho. His management style is too abrasive, too defensive and cannot extend to building for the future, or continuing to motivate top players beyond two or three seasons - most specifically players who are accustomed to attacking football. His best managerial tenures were at Porto, Chelsea and Inter - guiding each squad in a counter-attacking style of football. The players in each scenario played along with this because results were forthcoming. At Real Madrid he was successful domestically but failed in Europe (by Real's standards anyway).

Now to the present and a Chelsea squad which has been constructed half with Mourinho's defensive, counter attacking preference in mind, but half with more flair players being included than he would normally choose personally. (I think Abramovich favours an attacking style and has an influence on some of the players being signed). Chelsea's squad on paper is excellent, and yet we have seen a wholesale regression in such a short space of time. A team with the likes of Costa, Pedro, Hazard, Fabregas and Matic should not be losing 7 out of 12 league games under any circumstances.

So many rumours relate to key players not supporting Mourinho's tactics, usually in these cases there is no smoke without fire and this is certainly feasible. For top attacking players who have already enjoyed success, I would imagine it is tougher than normal to keep them motivated if the style of play you favour is more defensive than offensive. What we are seeing is the equivalent of some of the players downing tools and saying Sod It... Much like when the United players didn't like Moyes and became worse almost overnight.

If you're Fabregas or Hazard and having to piss about doing more defensive work than you would expect, and still the results are not coming, would you slack off?
dozer
Legend

5 years ago

Neil wrote:Mourinho, undoubtedly one of the most overrated managers of all time. I am quite enjoying his downfall at Chelsea, although not as much as the Chelsea players will enjoy it when he gets sacked.

In the past I did consider him to be a strong candidate for the United job, but his preferred style of play is totally at odds with United's, although sadly as we know all too well, so is the style that Van Gaal has chosen...

Anyway, onto my theory on Mourinho. His management style is too abrasive, too defensive and cannot extend to building for the future, or continuing to motivate top players beyond two or three seasons - most specifically players who are accustomed to attacking football. His best managerial tenures were at Porto, Chelsea and Inter - guiding each squad in a counter-attacking style of football. The players in each scenario played along with this because results were forthcoming. At Real Madrid he was successful domestically but failed in Europe (by Real's standards anyway).

Now to the present and a Chelsea squad which has been constructed half with Mourinho's defensive, counter attacking preference in mind, but half with more flair players being included than he would normally choose personally. (I think Abramovich favours an attacking style and has an influence on some of the players being signed). Chelsea's squad on paper is excellent, and yet we have seen a wholesale regression in such a short space of time. A team with the likes of Costa, Pedro, Hazard, Fabregas and Matic should not be losing 7 out of 12 league games under any circumstances.

So many rumours relate to key players not supporting Mourinho's tactics, usually in these cases there is no smoke without fire and this is certainly feasible. For top attacking players who have already enjoyed success, I would imagine it is tougher than normal to keep them motivated if the style of play you favour is more defensive than offensive. What we are seeing is the equivalent of some of the players downing tools and saying Sod It... Much like when the United players didn't like Moyes and became worse almost overnight.

If you're Fabregas or Hazard and having to piss about doing more defensive work than you would expect, and still the results are not coming, would you slack off?
Couldn't agree more.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:http://www.footballfancast.com/premier- ... dM5wd09.97

Now... this is obviously bullshit... but it raises an interesting question... if it were true, who'd have him now?

Besides Knobby...

I think you'll find I've said from day one I wouldn't want this cunt anywhere near United. I still stand by that.

It'd be great to see this type of manager take over at Sunderland and see their "world class" manager qualities shine. Apart from getting them defensively strong would they be able to build them too?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

MAX CLIFFORD wrote:Wasn't the name Neil once voted the 2nd most unpopular boys name ever. Keith being voted the worst. It might be just me but I see every Neil like the character from The Young One's. Yet I don't see it with anyone called Mike, Vivian or Rick???? :-\
Don't know Harry... Brad, Chad, Todd, all rank worse for me...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

5 years ago

He needs to know how to pull a team out of a slump. If he can do that, he'll maybe break Fergie's trophy record. For that he needs to stop kicking off, blaming everyone, hogging the narrative and take a step back, act like a statesman and focus on football.

Fergie could do that. He pulled us out of countless slumps and we all took it for granted. But it's a fucking tough thing to do.

Mourinho can't stay anywhere too long because his tactic is to come into a club, arrogant, confident, proven winner which fills everyone with confidence and they smash it. But when the team slumps and he needs to reinvent, get rid of the greats and replace them with future greats, he struggles. It's the thing that's holding him back creating a dynasty at Chelsea.
Lazarus
Legend

5 years ago

Neil wrote:Mourinho, undoubtedly one of the most overrated managers of all time. I am quite enjoying his downfall at Chelsea, although not as much as the Chelsea players will enjoy it when he gets sacked.

Like i said, "He's a wanker!"
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

5 years ago

id ship fabregas tbf, you can see why barcelona flogged him and wenger said no tbf, proper weasly sunny day shitehouse walks about the pitch waiting for set pieces cunt, absolute fucking hider

motes was desperate to sign him mind
lkhm

hoofing
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:id ship fabregas tbf, you can see why barcelona flogged him and wenger said no tbf, proper weasly sunny day shitehouse walks about the pitch waiting for set pieces cunt, absolute fucking hider

motes was desperate to sign him mind
You wanted him as well...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

Some rag on the continent claims the deal is already in place... Mourinho takes over next year...
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:Some rag on the continent claims the deal is already in place... Mourinho takes over next year...
That would be so fucking stupid... it sounds about right for the Glazers and Woodward then.