Smalling & Jones

Manchester United chat
ichiro
First Teamer

6 years ago

Smalling, Rafael, and Evans are not young players, they are about the same as Evra and Vidic when we bought them.
Bill2
First Teamer

6 years ago

If we are going to challenge again we need a top quality centre back this summer. Hummels is the ideal candidate. The three we have are injury prone and inconsistent at the moment. Keane and Varela can provide cover at CB and RB, where Rafael is also prone to a knock or two. If they aren't getting games then they should go out on loan.

I'd rather buy a decent CB than a winger as a solid defence is vital and we have some very promising young wingers.
redzebs
Legend

6 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
dozer wrote:I like Smalling at centre back. Jones not so much but he's got raw talent so hopefully he'll come good. However the debate about their quality is irrelevant because these chaps can't stay fit. So I don't see them succeeding at man united or at football for the matter.
FFS... it's not that rare for young players to be injury prone... they're over eager and rash in the tackle, and they haven't learnt all the limits of their bodies yet... at the highest levels they're pushed further than they're used to... Giggs had chronic hamstring issues early in his career as well...

True dat, maybe Imogen Thomas yoga for all three might help,

Saying that I have a massive crush on Evans's bird, he's got her up the spout though ffs,

Evans has been a bit unlucky but I wouldn't say he was injury prone, Smalling was always going to have growing pains, what is he, like 6"4 or something now? And a Jones is a fuckin head case, literally, he will head anything in front of him...just in case.

Not playing as a fuckin full back would help the latter two, so Id still say, get Rafa cover and make sure the above and Keane are all kept strictly as cbs, plus if we sign a proper dm, Jones won't have to play midfield again.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

6 years ago

Watching the U21s the other night, Varela looks decent. I can see him being in the first team squad next season.
bman2
Legend

6 years ago

Agreed, Varela looks good, not that I've seen much of him.
RedFish
Reserves

6 years ago

Personally I don't think either stands out as an exceptional CB......yet. I can see Smalling playing alongside a more authoratative presence in the mould of Stam, Vidic, Desailly etc etc. Jone's at the moment is too much of a loose canon IMO and I'm not sure he can read the game as well as he might.....Makes too many reckless decisions for my liking. He's young though, so I'm convinced LvG can do something with him.......
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

there are barely any top centre halves out there tbf

kompany gets touted as the best and he doesnt compare to the rios terry campbell carvalho vidic carra of the last few years

likes of pique and all them other lot of supposed top centre halves in europe arent much cop bayerns and madrids centre halves, citys, fucking mascherano cahill luiz

id rather play jones and smalling tbf less injuries and less moyes and theyll be fine
lkhm

hoofing
dozer
Legend

6 years ago

A bit much slipping carra on that list.