is herrara any good

Manchester United chat
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:In one of Van Gaal's first interviews he was on about who would play in midfield, and he said "you can learn to play in midfield"

It stayed with me til now because I thought ffs more bodging
Well, you can learn to play anywhere... doesn't mean you'll be good enough to play against purpose trained, players... some players like Scholes just have a gift, and find their best role late... but some players have their best attributes identified early and spend their entire youth development working at perfecting their skill at one position...

That just sounds like Van Gall taking up the Ferguson mantra of "no value, so we'll make do with what we've got"... I can see Rooney staying in midfield now...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
spektarm
First Teamer

3 years ago

I just don't get it. "Rooney's more useful for the team in midfield"? Really?

Because last time I checked, he loses the ball in dangerous areas at least 2 or 3 times a match. He often misplaces passes because he always needs to play the 50-yard-hollywood ball, instead of a simple one which helps the team move the ball quickly and opens up space. But of course, he's captain, and his stupid mistakes are always forgiven, whereas Mata's or Herrera's ONE bad or risky pass turn into an enormous problem.

It's bullshit what Van Gaal is saying... The simple truth is, United has become Rooney and 10 others, as I've already read somewhere on here. It's the worst thing that can happen for a team, especially one in a transitional phase. And until Rooney is no longer untouchable, we won't see consistently good performances from our midfield.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

spektarm wrote:I just don't get it. "Rooney's more useful for the team in midfield"? Really?

Because last time I checked, he loses the ball in dangerous areas at least 2 or 3 times a match. He often misplaces passes because he always needs to play the 50-yard-hollywood ball, instead of a simple one which helps the team move the ball quickly and opens up space. But of course, he's captain, and his stupid mistakes are always forgiven, whereas Mata's or Herrera's ONE bad or risky pass turn into an enormous problem.

It's bullshit what Van Gaal is saying... The simple truth is, United has become Rooney and 10 others, as I've already read somewhere on here. It's the worst thing that can happen for a team, especially one in a transitional phase. And until Rooney is no longer untouchable, we won't see consistently good performances from our midfield.
Rooney's not the problem... he's easily still our best attacking weapon... the problem is any manager who would rather play him in midfield instead of signing a proper midfielder...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

3 years ago

the worst bit is that cock hodgson will follow suit tbf
lkhm

hoofing
spektarm
First Teamer

3 years ago

Yeah, that's where I was going with this, Alf. All the things I said come from the fact that he's not a midfielder and ultimately it's not his fault he's playing there.

And on top of that, it's not like any of our strikers have been so impressive that LVG can't pick Rooney over them...
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Tbf Rooney's stock has risen since he has been playing in midfield. People like him again now, they want him in the team, they think he's our best player.

That wasn't true previously when he was hugely unpopular, was dropped, and the common opninion from fans was that he should be stuck up front as a goalscorer so he can't ruin play as a 10

Remember that image of quotes that was knocked up a couple of seasons ago which said something like "In 2010 I wanted to leave because the players around me were shite. Now they're all better than me and I want to leave because I can't get in the team"

So opinion on him has changed drastically, and it must be because he is playing well under Van Gaal, in midfield
spektarm
First Teamer

3 years ago

MAX CLIFFORD wrote: Exactly!! Its not that Rooney is untouchable. Its the fact that we've spent over £100 million on central players and theyre still not as good as Rooney. Its not Rooney's fault that Mata and Felliani are shite, Herera doesn't get the starts, or that Di Maria didn't want to come to us in the first place. He's our best player by a country mile, and has been for years!! ;)
Rooney's wank in midfield (except his finishing - a trait of a striker ffs) and if you don't see it, you have the wrong idea of what a midfielder should do. He's not better than Di Maria and Herrera in central midfield (left or right CM) and he's not better than Mata at number 10. Fuck Fellaini, he shouldn't even be considered a United level midfielder or whatever he is...

You seem not to understand one of the biggest problems we have now, Max...

Players get played out of position, they've been instructed never to take any risks, never to try one-twos, etc. Have you seen Mata at Chelsea at no.10 or Di Maria in his preferred central role at Madrid? They were pure class.

Yes, we're a better team with Rooney in it, but not with Rooney in midfield. ;)

My point is, until our attacking players start playing in the positions they're best suited for (Rooney as a striker, Di Maria in CM, Mata at 10, etc.) and they get the freedom they need to deliver, we'll be shite going forward.
spektarm
First Teamer

3 years ago

You further developed my points, mate. It's exactly what we should be striving for, actually - having the right players to complement each other. Hopefully we can add that layer of depth in the summer... Only then will we be able to compete with the world's best again.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

spektarm wrote:
MAX CLIFFORD wrote: Exactly!! Its not that Rooney is untouchable. Its the fact that we've spent over £100 million on central players and theyre still not as good as Rooney. Its not Rooney's fault that Mata and Felliani are shite, Herera doesn't get the starts, or that Di Maria didn't want to come to us in the first place. He's our best player by a country mile, and has been for years!! ;)
Rooney's wank in midfield (except his finishing - a trait of a striker ffs) and if you don't see it, you have the wrong idea of what a midfielder should do. He's not better than Di Maria and Herrera in central midfield (left or right CM) and he's not better than Mata at number 10. Fuck Fellaini, he shouldn't even be considered a United level midfielder or whatever he is...

You seem not to understand one of the biggest problems we have now, Max...

Players get played out of position, they've been instructed never to take any risks, never to try one-twos, etc. Have you seen Mata at Chelsea at no.10 or Di Maria in his preferred central role at Madrid? They were pure class.

Yes, we're a better team with Rooney in it, but not with Rooney in midfield. ;)

My point is, until our attacking players start playing in the positions they're best suited for (Rooney as a striker, Di Maria in CM, Mata at 10, etc.) and they get the freedom they need to deliver, we'll be shite going forward.
Rooney may not be a midfielder, but he's one of the few we've got, not afraid to get his shorts dirty and make a fuckin tackle... we've got an entire midfield of fannies... Rooney gives our midfield some bollocks... something we've had very little of since Keane left...
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

3 years ago

its misplaced bollocks mind tbf
lkhm

hoofing