Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

11 months ago

Bman’s right. Our coaching must be really shit.
Another good reason for a DOF.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
Sid
Legend

11 months ago

Manchester City have agreed a €55m (£50.1m) fee with Benfica for the centre-back Rúben Dias, with Nicolás Otamendi heading the other way as part of the deal.

50m for a potential top CB. If we bought him it would be double that.
fat maradona
Legend

11 months ago

Lazio apparently interested in Pereira, off for £10m - https://www.sportbible.com/football/foo ... n-20200927
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

11 months ago

Fabrizio Romano is saying it so it seems credible to me re: Pereira. Although just a loan with an option to buy. Smalling has got to be out the door. If, in addition to these two, we can just move one more piece of deadwood and add a LB, I’d be prepared to call this a fair window.

Also saw a Mail piece saying Kante is for sale at Chelsea. Do we need a new CB if we have him? Nothing would get near our back four. Figure no way Lamps sells to a rival though....
bman2
Legend

11 months ago

We conceded fewer goals in the two seasons with Jose than we did last season. Smalling would be our first choice CB for me, matched with probably either Lindelof or Maguire. If you someone with a bit of pace in there instead of Maguire, then Lindelof, Shaw, and Matic would all look better, because they wouldn’t be covering his ground for him, and he’d be able to get in and cover for them if the were out of position,
Sid
Legend

11 months ago

Twisted Blood wrote:
11 months ago
Fabrizio Romano is saying it so it seems credible to me re: Pereira. Although just a loan with an option to buy. Smalling has got to be out the door. If, in addition to these two, we can just move one more piece of deadwood and add a LB, I’d be prepared to call this a fair window.

Also saw a Mail piece saying Kante is for sale at Chelsea. Do we need a new CB if we have him? Nothing would get near our back four. Figure no way Lamps sells to a rival though....
I'd take Kante in a heartbeat, even at 29. One of the reasons we're shite in defence is cos Matic & Lindelhoof are slow, immobile and dumb. So when you add a cautious 6ft 6 CDM into the mix it makes it even slower and more immobile.

Also one of the reasons Maguire and Lindelhoof face so many one on ones (which they fuck up) is cos the opposition exploit the gaps left behind when Shaw and Wan-Bissaka go forward - and Matic is too slow to get back. You see him numerous times a game treading fucking water running back to goal 20 yards off the play. Whereas Kante would get back a lot quicker cos he's more box to box.
bman2
Legend

11 months ago

Maguire looks much better in a side that sits deep, like Leicester used to. But he’s extremely slow. So when he pushes up the pitch with the ball, like Ole wants, the other defenders know that it’s totally up to them. I have some sympathy for Lindelof: I don’t think he’s amazing or anything, but some of the bad situations he gets into are pretty obviously because it’s just assumed that Maguire won’t get back, and he’s covering his ground for him. Lindelof isn’t too class to begin with, and it’s become an obvious weakness for teams to attack.

Maguire also doesn’t have the speed to get across to the left flank to cover for Shaw either, so it makes Shaw look caught out of position more often than would be the case with a more mobile CB.

Yeah and it doesn’t help that Matic is slow as well. We sort of have a back three in possession, with Matic close to the CBs. But that’s a serious problem when two of those last men back, Maguire and Matic, are both noticeably slow. Lindelof isn’t slow, he’s just not fast. But Maguire and Matic are slower than the average player, perhaps especially Maguire, who is dreadful changing direction.
swampash
Legend

11 months ago

The more we see of Maguire the more it looks like a stupid buy...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
fat maradona
Legend

11 months ago

swampash wrote:
11 months ago
The more we see of Maguire the more it looks like a stupid buy...
And this is why the infatuation with Sancho worries me. It'll be another Pogba or Maguire vfm signing.
dozer
Legend

11 months ago

Maguire was responsible for most of our goals scored against Brighton so lets give credit where its due.