Legend

1 month ago

fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Diallo has joined us. Why pay so much for an 18 year old? Why did he not play for Atlanta this season? Hope he's good.
We either got taken for a ride or we arsed up the transfer and let Diallo needlessly waste the past three months sitting on the bench for Atalanta. Hopefully the second. It’s odd though that Atalanta’s owner was just talking openly about the hope that he’d stay longer with them. It all seems a bit confused.
The issue was around his work permit and so it made sense for him to join in January, once he had got the permit. I don't know anything about him apart from what I've read....Ole says United have been watching him for years and the Atalanta captain made some remarks about how good he is. I reckon we moved quick and paid the fee before someone else did and then hope that he lives up to potential. Don't forget CR7 was a similar signing, none of us had heard of him and we'd paid £12m for him back in 2003. He was bought off the back of him skinning our defence in that friendly.
CR7 played regularly for Sporting in his breakthrough season. And Diallo hasn't skinned our or anyone's defence either because he's barely played.
You could still be right though.
Good thing is we've only paid less than half for Diallo up front and the others include bonuses which if met, means he'd be more than worth it. I reckon.
jason_uk
Star Man

1 month ago

Saw diallo announced on mufc twitter, clicked on his profile linked on the mufc tweet, and surprisingly its private!

Kind of strange, but maybe he doesn't want to live his life on social media like the majority of players/celebs do these days.. maybe its a good thing!

Of course he may go public once the endorsements start rolling in, just thought it was interesting.
jason_uk
Star Man

1 month ago

jason_uk wrote:
1 month ago
Saw diallo announced on mufc twitter, clicked on his profile linked on the mufc tweet, and surprisingly its private!

Kind of strange, but maybe he doesn't want to live his life on social media like the majority of players/celebs do these days.. maybe its a good thing!

Of course he may go public once the endorsements start rolling in, just thought it was interesting.

OK, so after actually looking at diallo, I noticed he looked nothing like the profile of the diallo that was in the mufc tweet.

Go back to look at that profile, and it is now a profile for diallo, public.

Very strange. Still only has 160 followers!

Guess he wants those endorsements after all!
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
Klopp seems to be the only person in football living in the real world

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... dApp_Other

“It is not a time for massive investment if you don’t have the funds for it. Obviously football clubs live off what they earn. We still don’t have supporters in the stadium, a lot of stuff is still different, and that has gone on for a long time.

“So I don’t understand why people now talk about the situation like nothing happened. We are still in the middle of a pandemic so that’s not the best time we’ve ever had."
That's Chelsea's cue to splurge on players.
They did it, the last window although that could be because of the transfer ban prior.
City can spend too.
Sugar daddy clubs can exploit this.
Which is why any idea that football is a competitive level playing field is bollocks
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Yeah, Liverpool and United earn their keep. City and maybe Chelsea will be able to go crazy to take advantage of the situation though.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Diallo has joined us. Why pay so much for an 18 year old? Why did he not play for Atlanta this season? Hope he's good.
We either got taken for a ride or we arsed up the transfer and let Diallo needlessly waste the past three months sitting on the bench for Atalanta. Hopefully the second. It’s odd though that Atalanta’s owner was just talking openly about the hope that he’d stay longer with them. It all seems a bit confused.
The issue was around his work permit and so it made sense for him to join in January, once he had got the permit. I don't know anything about him apart from what I've read....Ole says United have been watching him for years and the Atalanta captain made some remarks about how good he is. I reckon we moved quick and paid the fee before someone else did and then hope that he lives up to potential. Don't forget CR7 was a similar signing, none of us had heard of him and we'd paid £12m for him back in 2003. He was bought off the back of him skinning our defence in that friendly.
CR7 played regularly for Sporting in his breakthrough season. And Diallo hasn't skinned our or anyone's defence either because he's barely played.
You could still be right though.
Good thing is we've only paid less than half for Diallo up front and the others include bonuses which if met, means he'd be more than worth it. I reckon.
From the video clips, it does look like he's got great skill. But the lack of game time must mean he's just potential right now. He might be amazing in the end, but the comparison to Ronaldo is wrong, because Ronaldo was already a starter when we signed him.
fat maradona
Legend

1 month ago

my point on CR7 was that none of us knew who he was and we'd paid good money (at the time) for him.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
my point on CR7 was that none of us knew who he was and we'd paid good money (at the time) for him.
The money we paid might be reasonable. But it looks like we won't know for a while if he can cut it in the PL.
fat maradona
Legend

1 month ago

Despite the apparent hash Woodward (and Ole) seem to make of signing first team players, I've been really impressed with our 'future potential' signings. Pellistri is having a great season so far in the U23's, as are the other 3 young lads we signed from La Liga. We have some really promising yoot in the system and hopefully we will see them make the first team.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
Despite the apparent hash Woodward (and Ole) seem to make of signing first team players, I've been really impressed with our 'future potential' signings. Pellistri is having a great season so far in the U23's, as are the other 3 young lads we signed from La Liga. We have some really promising yoot in the system and hopefully we will see them make the first team.
How are you following that? How is Pellistri getting on? Scoring goals from the right flank? Looking nearly ready for prime time?