Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

swampash wrote: 4 years ago Have we really extended Matic’s contract?
We've triggered the 1 year extension clause.
We'll do that for Pogba too so he'll have 2 years left. Hopefully none soon.
dozer
Legend

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/25/arsenal- ... -12456641/

Rumor is Arsenal bid 25m for Smalling.
yesssssss
swampash
Legend

dozer wrote: 4 years ago https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/25/arsenal- ... -12456641/

Rumor is Arsenal bid 25m for Smalling.
yesssssss
:-BD
bman2
Legend

So it sounds like Jack Grealish broke quarantine, went out on the piss, drove drunk, crashed his car. Would we still want him?
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 4 years ago So it sounds like Jack Grealish broke quarantine, went out on the piss, drove drunk, crashed his car. Would we still want him?
Nope
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Bit of talk that we're planning to exploit the financial uncertainty caused by covid to have a bit of a splurge this summer. Anyone buying that?
bman2
Legend

Edfuckingwoodward wrote: 4 years ago Bit of talk that we're planning to exploit the financial uncertainty caused by covid to have a bit of a splurge this summer. Anyone buying that?
I could maybe see it happening if the prices of players actually does drop a lot. Looking at what's happening, I could imagine that Italian clubs especially, but also Spanish, French etc., will be really hurting. Italian clubs financials were already dodgy before this. So you might be able to get some real class players out of some of these markets for the sorts of prices they would have gone for 5 years ago or more. But at the same time, we might in a better position than most clubs, but surely we're not in a position to have a record spend by our own standards either.

One problem is that I can't see us getting that much for Pogba, we'd be lucky to get £50M for him. PL clubs overall will be better off than clubs in other big leagues, so our policy of buying PL and British players is going probably going to look like especially poor value for money now. I mean, if Grealish costs a lot more than we'd get for Pogba, is that good business? Obviously if Pogba still wants out, it makes sense in football terms, but you'd also be making a net financial loss to trade a player for someone who is objectively less talented and less valuable in terms of commercial revenue. The best outcome for our midfield would be for Pogba to decide to stay and United and put his head down and deliver on the pitch. Would Real offer him the wages he wants now, let alone the transfer fee? I'm Juve can't afford him.

I think our priority is Sancho plus a striker.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Feel it's worth adding that Prem clubs are some of the worst run in the world, Bman. They're minted but it all mostly goes out on wages. Very few make profit, and debts remain untouched. So Prem clubs will be wanting to shift some players too, and won't necessarily be in a position to bring new ones in.

A lot depends on the wage cuts the authorities can negotiate in their respective leagues. So far the Prem have royally fucked it up and pissed off all the players.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Manchester United are redrawing their transfer strategy because of financial uncertainty caused by coronavirus and accept it will leave them unable to buy a striker as expensive as Harry Kane.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -tottenham
dozer
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Manchester United are redrawing their transfer strategy because of financial uncertainty caused by coronavirus and accept it will leave them unable to buy a striker as expensive as Harry Kane.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -tottenham
The market has dropped for everyone so relatively speaking it shouldn't make a difference for United.
If Harry Kane was "as expensive as" Mbappe for example then he'd still be "as expensive as" Mbappe post Corona. Everyone's budget would go down which means the player's market value would go down.
The Guardian just pretends to be a more sensible paper by removing the flash but I've always felt they write the same old crap. Journalists are crap everywhere and piggy back of the few good ones who do some proper research .