Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

5 months ago

marlon wrote:
5 months ago
Yeah that's rubbish. Most expensive defender ever? Is he even in the top 10/20 CBs in the world.
That depends on how much clubs are paying for transfers for better defenders, their age, contract situation and resale value etc.
Pikey McScum
Star Man

4 months ago

I never got this whole thing about paying certain fees for players - "Oh ffs, can't believe we're paying so many million for that player!"

Who fucking cares, it's not my money!!
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
marlon
Legend

4 months ago

Pretty simple. We only have so much to spend and if we spend it well, we'll get better and if we don't, we get worse.
marlon
Legend

4 months ago

dozer wrote:
5 months ago
marlon wrote:
5 months ago
Yeah that's rubbish. Most expensive defender ever? Is he even in the top 10/20 CBs in the world.
That depends on how much clubs are paying for transfers for better defenders, their age, contract situation and resale value etc.
The price is only because of van Dijk. Pavard and Manolas moved for ~30m this summer. Militao for 45. Last summer Kehrer, Lenglet, Bonucci and Caldara were the most expensive and went for ~30. Stones and Laporte are the only others to have ever gone for more than 50.

But my objection to the price is he's not all that to start with.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

4 months ago

Maguire is as good as we're going to be able to get. And he's better than what we've got. Premiership proven, seems a good guy too. So it should be a pretty safe deal in football terms. If we can rebuild and improve, then we can sign the worldy to partner him in a year or two.

In a sense I don't care about the cost - unless it impacts on the rest of our business. If it does, a more prudent alternative with similar short term benefit would've been Alderwiereld. But he's nearly 31, so then you're having to replace him in 2 years. Maguire should be good for 5 or 6 years. And he'll probably get a 5 or 6 year deal, and the fee is amortised across the duration so its not as expensive as it might seem.

Need a couple of midfielders and a right winger if we're going to do much next season though
marlon
Legend

4 months ago

If you rate him it's fine. But the amortisation thing only really counts if he works out.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

4 months ago

good player with bollocks but the type well hate in a few years when he’s got his lifetime contract
lkhm

hoofing
dozer
Legend

4 months ago

Dennis Irwin has said United were never interested in Maguire and hinted that Ole is only after pacy players. His last 2 signings indicate that too.
sheesh
Legend

4 months ago

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 05431.html - 'United to launch £50m bid for Fernandes over the next 3 weeks'

Take your sweet time, Ed X(
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
4 months ago
I never got this whole thing about paying certain fees for players - "Oh ffs, can't believe we're paying so many million for that player!"

Who fucking cares, it's not my money!!
I don't get this idea that the money we spend is monopoly money, not actual real money

Fans act as if we're bankrolled by an oil rich state, not a serverely indebted club that's heavily reliant on sponsorships and gates, operating in a ridiculously inflated cut throat as fuck market were our rivals are literally trying to do us out of business and agents parasite off our wealth until we're out of business and they move on to another host

It's not just us, the Prem is full of this attitude because the league is swimming in cash. But it's wreckless as fuck, and it'll all end in tears.