Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

Re. Gomes: we've already got one LIngard, we don't need another.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
fat maradona
Star Man

4 months ago

dozer wrote:
4 months ago

Ole's given plenty of games to youngsters so it's safe to believe that Gomes isn't ready to play for the first team yet OR he isn't considered that good by the staff.
I don't know about that lightweight comment but it'll be an issue if the player isn't that skilled to compensate for this problem. Scholes and Messi were world class talent so it wouldn't impact them.
It looks like gomes probably isn't anywhere close to even Greenwood who isn't a butch player either.
I hope the reason is that he isn't ready yet like Scholes who only started in his early 20s. McT also only started when he was 21 I think.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/14/man-utd- ... t-9537252/

"Interestingly, Gomes was also upset by comments Solskjaer made to him after his 15 minute cameo against Cardiff, saying it was a pity he was so physically fragile and light. The teenager didn’t take well to that and feels there are plenty of world-class players with a similar stature to his own – such as Lionel Messi and Bernardo Silva – and the remark has compounded fears that Solskjaer is not the right manager to give him the opportunities he craves"

OK, so AS Bola isn't the most credible of sources but the comments haven't been refuted by Ole.

The lad has got genuine skills and in the right set up, could be an important player. He's definitely not another Lingard.
dozer
Legend

4 months ago

So no direct quotes then. From what I've seen of Ole it's very unlikely that he's made those comments in public at least. So if I had to guess it's probably a lie. And Ole rarely refutes anything. He tends to avoid discussing this kind of nonsense which is also good.
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
4 months ago
He's definitely not another Lingard.
...seen nothing yet to indicate otherwise. But perhaps I've missed his cameo performances?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

4 months ago

Lots of talk that we want Grealish AND Sancho. Now I'll believe it when I see it, but they'd be 2 transfers which would transform us. 200m outlay, but we should recoup 100m with Pogba.
If we can make that happen, we'd all of a sudden be a very good team. We'd still have the centre forward position to improve, but a Midfield 3 of Fred/McT with Bruno and Grealish, and Rashford, Sancho in the wide positions should be very, very good.
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

Not impressed by Grealish. He works hard but there's not a lot of skill there.
dozer
Legend

4 months ago

It can't happen in one transfer window but we need 3 forwards alone. One right winger, centre forward and left winger. I'm not sure if Rashford will be consistent enough for us but he's the only one who's good enough to be in a squad of a team challenging for the title. Martial, James, Mata, Lingard etc can go.
We also need 2 midfielders assuming Pogba will be sold. We only have Bruno and McT who're reliable enough. Perhaps Fred can be a squaddie.
We also need a centreback and a left back.
A new keeper.
All of them have to do well.

So many weaknesses.
fat maradona
Star Man

4 months ago

Sid wrote:
4 months ago
Not impressed by Grealish. He works hard but there's not a lot of skill there.
You would have said the same of Keano. And look at Hendo (I'm not comparing him to Keane btw) and how important he is for Liverpool. I think it's his 'grit' that makes him in demand and we don't have any of that at the moment, and haven't had it since Fletch?
bman2
Legend

4 months ago

Declan Rice might be a good buy — he can play DM or CB, which are both positions we could improve in.

But our transfers need to get more cost conscious or we’ll never get all the players we need. We were taken to the cleaners for Maguire, who’s been ok but is not a special player. Paid a lot for Wan-Bissaka too given that the offensive side of his game is so underdeveloped. At these prices, we’ll only ever be signing two first team players at a time, and we’ll forever be in an endless rebuild.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

4 months ago

Always thought Rice was over rated.

I'm a fan of Grealish. He can beat a player, good eye for a pass, chips in with a few goals. Good age too. I think he'd be ideal.