How good is De Gea?

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:we'll get 18 more months out of him
Normally I'd agree with that, but De Gea has really developed his game with us despite the ups and downs and personnel changes, and keepers don't tend to hop around that much. If the club really presses on as we hope and are competing for the PL and CL next season, I could see him wanting to keep being part of it, his body language in matches is great. On the other side of things, Real have every incentive to push for him now, and they've never shown themselves to shy from being arseholes if they really want someone. But, who knows. I'll take another season anyway.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

Story going around is that De Gea's agreed to a new deal, taking him up 2020...

Not confirmed yet, but looks like I owe Sheeshy a pint...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

And if this turns out to be true... how long before we get the predictable response from Spain... Madrid were NEVER interested in De Gea...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

5 years ago

nah its too late for that, new deal just means a year delay in him going tbf
lkhm

hoofing
Dosdamt
Star Man

5 years ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:nah its too late for that, new deal just means a year delay in him going tbf
this
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:nah its too late for that, new deal just means a year delay in him going tbf
That may be, but at least we'll have him on a proper contract... not just a year left, so that we've got no leverage at all...
Spudiator
Star Man

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
That may be, but at least we'll have him on a proper contract... not just a year left, so that we've got no leverage at all...
Exactly, last thing we want is another Pogba situation. I know it's not exactly the same, but to have let him go for a pittance like we did with no way of being able to stop it was a shambolic situation. If we do lose de Gea, at the very least we need to make sure we don't get our pants pulled down.
Snoopcousins
Legend

5 years ago

Spudiator wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Exactly, last thing we want is another Pogba situation. I know it's not exactly the same, but to have let him go for a pittance like we did with no way of being able to stop it was a shambolic situation. If we do lose de Gea, at the very least we need to make sure we don't get our pants pulled down.
I don't think he'll sign another contract...so yes there's every chance we'll have our pants pulled down with him leaving on a free or a small fee.

The Valdes signing is a big indicator...I don't think he'd be happy going somewhere to never play at his age....he probably knows it's only a matter of time
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

Maybe, but there's been quite a few people insisting he's very happy at United and that his parents are particularly happy with the situation. I think it's a bird in the hand/two in the bush situation, or grass is greener (pick your metaphor). In theory he'd like to play at Real, or at least it seems more glamorous, but objectively it's not actually a better place to be in terms of pay and working conditions. If we start winning shit next season and look like a proper top club again, Real will have nothing over us except the weather. I mean, De Gea's personality seems nothing like someone like Ronaldo's, he's a indie rocker looking kid, the UK's far more exciting for him in that sense. We just need to get him to ditch his Spanish pop star (or whatever she is) and get him set up with some saucy, trendy bird who hangs out in Hoxton at art galleries and punk gigs.
Davey-boy
Legend

5 years ago

bman2 wrote:
Maybe, but there's been quite a few people insisting he's very happy at United and that his parents are particularly happy with the situation. I think it's a bird in the hand/two in the bush situation, or grass is greener (pick your metaphor). In theory he'd like to play at Real, or at least it seems more glamorous, but objectively it's not actually a better place to be in terms of pay and working conditions. If we start winning shit next season and look like a proper top club again, Real will have nothing over us except the weather. I mean, De Gea's personality seems nothing like someone like Ronaldo's, he's a indie rocker looking kid, the UK's far more exciting for him in that sense. We just need to get him to ditch his Spanish pop star (or whatever she is) and get him set up with some saucy, trendy bird who hangs out in Hoxton at art galleries and punk gigs.
Let me know when you get that last bit sorted and then throw his Spanish bird my way pls.