What are you listening to?

The original Den of Iniquity
FuB
Legend

5 months ago

well, you know... when I was in my 20s and early 30s, I had an ok disposable income and a hobby. I've also got a rack full of processors but I made most of them myself since I know which end of a soldering iron to hold (always a good idea to know that).

back in my old life (i.e. before I moved out here) I was pretty active in the local music scene and made sample-based music with a good mate of mine. our emphasis wasn't on stealing stuff off of records or whatever (although I've no puritan views about that at all) but generally making our own samples which we'd then fuck about with further inside the DAW. This sort of led to me slowly collecting and making gear until I had a reasonable (not amazing) home studio set up. This led to getting the local musos round to borrow any musical expertise and instruments we didn't have ourselves, which then led to recording the odd band (mates as a favour sort of thing) and occasional FOH work.

Getting a good sound is - clearly - always a matter of opinion and there isn't one way to crack an egg. In the end, it's all about using your ears and, in my experience, learning to trust them. I'd more often than not, turn bands DOWN (when they weren't looking of course) if doing a pub or small hall gig. they're always going to be the loudest thing in the room regardless and there's nothing worse than ear-splitting sound reflections making it impossible to actually HEAR any one thing. That's my opinion anyway. Other people actively look for tinnitus and early onset hearing loss.

Getting six fuckers who play... For me (and Sid will be partisan here anyway i'm sure), the key is always the drummer. If you get a drummer who isn't Animal from the muppets and has some sympathy for dynamics then things start to work themselves out. If you don't, you just get everyone else slowly edging up their volume up in a battle of egos. Pretty sure anyone who's played in a band (me included) have been there and the hardest thing to find is the right balance.

On the note of your fender twin... here's somewhere where a "good sound" is contradictory. Amps are deliberately set up to actually add a bit of colour to the otherwise bland sound of an electric guitar. So, in real terms, you're sort of aiming for a comparatively "bad" sound. As a guitarist, you'll surely know that it's the sound of the guitar AND the amp as a unit that matters.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 months ago

Foobs... which DAW are you using/familiar with???

I'm working with Sonar 2 right now... frustrating as fuck, and apparently no longer supported, but it's all I could get at the time... to be perfectly honest, I'm not very good at it, give me a set of acoustic drums and I'll impress anyone, but you can't write music with drums, and I've been trying to find a way of recording the musical ideas in my head, without being able to play a melodic instrument for years...

By the way, I live just down the road from the Marshal factory... not that it necessarily matters...

And also by the way... I'm the drummer of your dreams... no false conceit, but that's a different story...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

Fub, send us some of your stuff if you've got some? Sounds great tbh
Lazarus
Legend

5 months ago

I've given up trying to even think about or worry about the sound part and just concentrate on the playing, let someone else worry about the sound. Besides i'm playing mostly country, bluegrass so one mic set ups can work well. Justifing spending anymore money on gear when your not really getting paid enough to cover the cost is becoming less appealing.
"NO BILL POSTERS" [-X
FuB
Legend

5 months ago

@sid... pm'd

@alf... the travesty of this all is that, since I left the uk, I've done literally fuck all musically except do a bit of audio electronics (making amps and guitar pedals) for people I met via the first bit of work I found here. when I first moved out, I didn't speak a word of Italian so I had that to deal with first (which took me a good long while) and didn't really lend itself to getting involved in a music scene, really. everything I did back in the uk was done in collaboration with a friend of mine and, no surprise, it just ain't easy trying to do stuff when you're not in the same country as each other. I don't really like doing stuff on my own. it's just not the same kick for me and I always just get carried away and go up my own arse, really. there's a lot to be said for having someone else to bounce ideas off of and rein in (or encourage) each other's excesses.

therefore, I've been out of the game for quite a number of years so what I know may not really be relevant any more. that said, I tried quite a few things (Cubase was the big thing at the time I started doing stuff... pretty sure Sonar - and Cakewalk before it - was much of a muchness) and so much of it has a massive learning curve so you end up being a IT person before you ever get the chance to be a musician.

Then I found Sonic Foundry's Acid (now bought out by Sony) which was just so immediate we just hit the ground running. that said, it's very much aimed at loop based stuff and takes all the hassle of resampling and beat matching out of the equation so we could just get on with what we wanted to do. however, it might not be appropriate for what you want to do... I still used it for multitracking bands. It can do that with ease (and MIDI control) but I knew the program inside out before trying to use it that way. Give it a try if you can get hold of a copy... you might find it changes your experience but you might equally find it's just not right for your needs.

drummer of your dreams...! are you self-taught or did you have some teaching? I think you can easily find some self-taught drummers that just have an innate understanding of phrasing and dynamics but you have to look through a whole lot of whack-'em-as-hard-as-I-can-all-the-time types.

@laz - you surely do yourself a self-deprecating injustice there. worrying about the playing is already worrying about the sound. one mic setups are often the way to go with an acoustic anyway, especially if it's a more rhythmic and less intimate style. two (or more, god help us) mic set ups are fraught with phasing hassles and it's hard to get a good acoustic player to stay still. I quite often had a boundary mic on the room as well which gives a bit of airiness but, again, placement, distance and phasing are a consideration (although less so).
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 months ago

Acid, aye... I played around with that for a while, and it's fun... but it's really just a musical toy IMO... you can make songs, sure, but only out of pre-existing ideas, like a recipe... you can't actually work with your own ideas, and create from nothing... and yeah, Cubase/Sonar... it's a hell of a lot to get your head around, and I'm not tech savvy enough... I spend way more time struggling with the program than making any music...

Self taught drummer... been playing for a long time, and just had a knack for it... never been a tub whacker, but I can if I want... very musical drummer, with a hell of a lot of expression... my problem was lack of dedication to a plan... played in a few bands when I was younger, but never found one that really suited me, and I never stayed anywhere long enough to keep looking till I found one...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
FuB
Legend

5 months ago

I'll have to disagree with you on Acid there, Alf. As I said before, our emphasis was always on recording our own source material (almost always direct into Acid), chopping the bollocks out of it, reprocessing it, generally mucking about and building entire soundscapes and tracks from nothing.

It might look like a toy but I think that just because it's a victim of how easy it is to use. you can, as you say have fun with it and forget to dig deeper into its envelopes, effects chains, etc.

try it again and ignore that it makes you think it's just about loops. As I said above - I multitracked band recording direct into it and used it like I would have done Cubase.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 months ago

Fair enough... you obviously know it way better than me... playing with existing loops was as far as I got... but creating my own, seems just as deep and frustrating as what I'm experiencing now with Sonar... until something much more intuitive and natural comes along, I might as well just stick to something I've made some, if even very little, progress with...
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

Fub did any of my PMs send? The forum is fucked, it says they didn't
FuB
Legend

5 months ago

No, I've not received anything. They seem to sit in the outbox until they're read - this is expected behaviour under phpBB apparently - which is not particularly intuitive so did you just delete them thinking they weren't sending?