Re: What are you listening to?

Postby pint vulger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:14 pm

pint vulger
Legend

Postby pint vulger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:38 pm

https://youtu.be/SneuvKIkM3A

Tribute to Mark E Smith RIP

Btw I forgot to mention he was a bitter blue.

This reminds me more of our fantastic city than anything ( don't know why) ........well tonight it does.

pint vulger
Legend

Postby pint vulger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 am

https://youtu.be/Leg3uiu0g1c

The Doves are bitter twats as well.

pint vulger
Legend

Postby pint vulger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:15 am

Sid
Legend

Postby Sid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 am

Mickey love's posting like a teenager whose showing off his music collection, as if we're meant to go "Wow, who are this band The Smiths?" :))

pint vulger
Legend

Postby pint vulger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:20 am

Sid
Legend

Postby Sid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

They did write the same album every year tbf

FuB
Legend

Postby FuB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 am

Pint, I do appreciate you trying to do me a favour but I'm quite a seasoned collector of vinyl and I know where I might source a copy. the issue is that I would want a decent condition (cover and record) first pressing on the original label. For that, you're looking at towards a ton nowadays (especially if I were to factor in courier costs to here) and i'd expect that to go up now he's left the room.

The link you posted above is probably (likely - but I haven't actually checked) a remaster from digital files and not the master tapes which, to my mind, just negates the potential advantage of having something on vinyl record.

The first album is a landmark in my opinion hence me always keeping an eye out for it but they're not really a big favourite of mine and I'm not really willing to shell out that much. I'd have to vaguely agree with Sid's sentiment in terms of their stuff often being a bit samey from album to album... but actually that's something I'd level at Killing Joke, Sid, especially their first three (which I have) or four. I don't think that's always a bad thing and it's often coupled with a band having a distinct sound of their own... the Smiths is also a case in point there if you ask me.
The official Rant token Europhile

pint vulger
Legend

Postby pint vulger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Yea tbf I sought of guessed by your question that you maybe a collector ,just trying to help and I understand that a copy you desire will not just appear in HMV .So you don't have to open the link ?

The vast majority of any musicians I would agree sound the same ish ,that even applies to Beethoven and Mozart inc The Smiths , Morrissey knows that but his more recent attempts to be ' different ' were / are for the most shite in my opinion, but each etc.
What you can't underestimate the contribution the lad had to that scene even if it wasn't exactly your choice.

Last night was watching a couple of interviews with him and he morphed from a young Richard Madeley into a double of a stricken Alex Higgins, some interesting views as well, fucking good job he was a bitter don't think he would welcomed on Utd Rant ( like moi)
I will ask Mistress Pint to rummage through the vinyls in the charity shops she can't fucking pass in the hope that some silly old cunt threw away a copy.

FuB
Legend

Postby FuB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 pm

I had no intention for that to come across as being arsey there, pint.... and I opened the link because I did, genuinely, appreciate that you were trying to be nice. however, like any collector of anything, i'm a bit pernickety and pointlessly so. Collecting stuff is clearly a bit of a self-absorbed thing. Don't trouble your wife to go looking. if she did by some amazing miracle find a copy then sell it and have a nice night out at the pub. part of being "a collector" is the finding of things yourself.
The official Rant token Europhile