TV and Film - What you watching?

The original Den of Iniquity

Moderators: Alfonso Bedoya, brianofnazarethffs

Forum rules
redzebs
Legend

Re: TV and Film - What you watching?

Postby redzebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am

Pikey McScum wrote:One of the saddest things I ever saw was when I was walking up the steps of the Empire Bar in Belfast; I noticed an old guy shuffling past with a glass in his hand, never thought anything of it, then heard an almighty wallop and crash and realised he'd toppled down the steps. Any Norn Iron heads will know those stone steps are not to be trifled with. I went to help him up and realised it was Higgins - poor man was a mess, it was like lifting a sheet of paper he was so thin.

Aye girls in heels and those steps are fuckin lethal,

Especially when they had dance acts the odd time, great venue for certain Giggs, coming out of there aff your bap is no mean feat when it's icy never mind a drunk old man.

Although Bestie was tragic, he retreated to a small village for a lot of his bad worst years probably because he still had some £, at least enough to live an ordinary life without having to hustle though he did play for about 12 teams after United for all these non league clubs among others for a few games. Still sad but even clips of him in his last few games, he still did some magic.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.

redzebs
Legend

Postby redzebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:12 pm

The leftovers again from the start before new series, fuckin awesome show.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.

Sid
Legend

Postby Sid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm

I'm watching the Walking Dead from the beginning, halfway through series 3, and it's ace tbf. Gets a bit like a soap with zombies at times but it's still good. The first series is brilliant. The zombie film references, but westerns too.

But it's great because they're all working class characters, all useful, adaptive, believe in solidairty, community. That's what you want. Miles better than all the boring posh dramas we get in the UK. If they made that here the entire cast would fucking oxbridgers and it'd be lame and shite. A uni did a survey into the acting industry in the UK and it showed that less than 20% of working actors currently employed are from working class backgrounds. 70% middle or upper class. They've completely taken ovet the industry, like they have everything else. In cinema it's the same - and all the top actors are private schools (Cumberbitch, Hiddlestone, Hardy, Redmayne)

But yeah, aving it

Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

Postby Alfonso Bedoya » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Sid wrote:I'm watching the Walking Dead from the beginning, halfway through series 3, and it's ace tbf. Gets a bit like a soap with zombies at times but it's still good. The first series is brilliant. The zombie film references, but westerns too.

But it's great because they're all working class characters, all useful, adaptive, believe in solidairty, community. That's what you want. Miles better than all the boring posh dramas we get in the UK. If they made that here the entire cast would fucking oxbridgers and it'd be lame and shite. A uni did a survey into the acting industry in the UK and it showed that less than 20% of working actors currently employed are from working class backgrounds. 70% middle or upper class. They've completely taken ovet the industry, like they have everything else. In cinema it's the same - and all the top actors are private schools (Cumberbitch, Hiddlestone, Hardy, Redmayne)

But yeah, aving it

Acting isn't easy Sid... lot of people think it is, but it takes a huge amount of self confidence and a cocky attitude to your own self worth, crude arrogance... that doesn't come easy to the lower classes, where peer acceptance can't just be bought... on top of that, good looks, perfect teeth, healthy skin and hair come much easier to those who can afford to eat organic, M&S, and Waitrose, and not Tescoes budget range mass produced, nutritionless shite, Pot Noodle, ready meals, and McDonalds... and then if they still don't fit the profile, well, you can always take 'em to a private dentist, bit of nose work, and expensive acting lessons and drama schools... having said that, there's always work for the ordinary folks playing extras in riot scenes, or grimy inn keepers in period drams...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

Snoopcousins
Legend

Postby Snoopcousins » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Lazarus wrote:I watched the Rack Pack last night. I enjoyed it, it brought back some memories. The Davis and Higgins actors were really good. I nearly pissed myself at the bit where Jimi White rocked up with the hair do.

Aye, Treadaway was brilliant... the grovelling scene near the end was heart breaking...

I had the chance in Belfast one night to go down to some club that Higgins was playing punters for a fiver a frame, apparently he was pissed and on his own and people were taking the piss. A friend of a friend phoned to say he was there we should go down. Couldn't do it, it was too sad.

Had quite a few dealings with Higgins over the years....
From playing him for a fiver in the old Warrick bar in Bangor to when he was ill and hanging around South Belfast....
Right up until I unfortunately had to deal personally with his death in a hostel in Sandy Row...
Must have been about 4 stone the last few months of his life.

Sad for sure...and an absolute legend over here
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

Sid
Legend

Postby Sid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:I'm watching the Walking Dead from the beginning, halfway through series 3, and it's ace tbf. Gets a bit like a soap with zombies at times but it's still good. The first series is brilliant. The zombie film references, but westerns too.

But yeah, aving it

Acting isn't easy Sid... lot of people think it is, but it takes a huge amount of self confidence and a cocky attitude to your own self worth, crude arrogance... that doesn't come easy to the lower classes, where peer acceptance can't just be bought... on top of that, good looks, perfect teeth, healthy skin and hair come much easier to those who can afford to eat organic, M&S, and Waitrose, and not Tescoes budget range mass produced, nutritionless shite, Pot Noodle, ready meals, and McDonalds... and then if they still don't fit the profile, well, you can always take 'em to a private dentist, bit of nose work, and expensive acting lessons and drama schools... having said that, there's always work for the ordinary folks playing extras in riot scenes, or grimy inn keepers in period drams...

Aye I hate those fucking stereotypes. Wc just get stereotpical roles these days, a wc hooligan, rough estate hoody, thick but honest... do me a favour. We don't get our lives shown to us in popular culture anymore. For me it's one of the reasons we have no class solidarity anymore.

Here's that study, by LSE http://www.lse.ac.uk/website-archive/ne ... ssion.aspx

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/f ... App_Tumblr

Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

Postby Alfonso Bedoya » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Snoopcousins wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Lazarus wrote:I watched the Rack Pack last night. I enjoyed it, it brought back some memories. The Davis and Higgins actors were really good. I nearly pissed myself at the bit where Jimi White rocked up with the hair do.

Aye, Treadaway was brilliant... the grovelling scene near the end was heart breaking...

I had the chance in Belfast one night to go down to some club that Higgins was playing punters for a fiver a frame, apparently he was pissed and on his own and people were taking the piss. A friend of a friend phoned to say he was there we should go down. Couldn't do it, it was too sad.

Had quite a few dealings with Higgins over the years....
From playing him for a fiver in the old Warrick bar in Bangor to when he was ill and hanging around South Belfast....
Right up until I unfortunately had to deal personally with his death in a hostel in Sandy Row...
Must have been about 4 stone the last few months of his life.

Sad for sure...and an absolute legend over here

You mean giving him a fiver to watch him play....
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

Snoopcousins
Legend

Postby Snoopcousins » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Talking about playing pool in the bar....
But I did manage to beat him a few times...albeit he was drunk and not taking it too seriously.

He could also be a cheeky /nasty fucker when drunk- seen a few people asking him for a game etc and he would lay into them asking them who they thought they were etc...

He also charged a fiver for a photo with him...and then he started carrying Polaroid photographs with him and charged a fiver for a signed one....all to fund his drinking...

I'll have to stick up a few pics of his murals (and Bests) on Sandy Row...if anyone's interested
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

Pikey McScum
Star Man

Postby Pikey McScum » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:11 am

The Trip to Spain

I know Brydon and/or Coogan rub some people up the wrong way, but it's just a great show. As good, if not better, than the previous two.

Better Call Saul - series 3 been brilliant so far, things really starting to move along at pace.
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015

pint vulger
Legend

Postby pint vulger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Doesnt it suprise you that Steve Coogan has worked for Sky considering his treatment by and criticisms of Murdoch ? Strange ?
But yes brilliant show The Trip and Partridge was just the best.