BBC christmas advert

The original Den of Iniquity
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Riva Del Garda is beaut, could live there no sweat
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:Riva Del Garda is beaut, could live there no sweat
bit cold this time of year, mind ;)
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

FuB wrote:
Sid wrote:You had any experiences with the mafias in Italy, Fub?

They're entrenched in society aren't they, like I read they take care of some of the waste disposal in Naples.
I'll have to give a yes and no answer to that one. Yes, because their hands are somewhere in pretty much any pie so there's little chance I haven't had an experience. No, because I've not been knowingly aware if (when) I have done. It's not like they hang around everywhere in shades... or maybe they do but you wouldn't notice because that's a fairly typical Italian thing to do anyway.

I live in the north so, whilst they are certainly about, it's less obvious. If you spend time in the south it's much clearer that they are involved somewhere in pretty much everything. way more than half of all businesses admit to paying "il pizzo", i.e protection money.

Regardless, it's quite difficult to tell what might be mafia-related lawlessness and what is just typical Italian lawlessness. Keeping everything within the family, secrecy, protecting your own, bending the rules wherever possible, etc, are fairly ubiquitous.
Nice one

Mad that so many businesses pay protection money. There was a thing on Newsnight about the Italian mafia organisations, and they said they're the second biggest contributer to the economy. So the country needs their dosh. It's a way of ensuring their existence for a long time.
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:
FuB wrote:
Sid wrote:You had any experiences with the mafias in Italy, Fub?

They're entrenched in society aren't they, like I read they take care of some of the waste disposal in Naples.
I'll have to give a yes and no answer to that one. Yes, because their hands are somewhere in pretty much any pie so there's little chance I haven't had an experience. No, because I've not been knowingly aware if (when) I have done. It's not like they hang around everywhere in shades... or maybe they do but you wouldn't notice because that's a fairly typical Italian thing to do anyway.

I live in the north so, whilst they are certainly about, it's less obvious. If you spend time in the south it's much clearer that they are involved somewhere in pretty much everything. way more than half of all businesses admit to paying "il pizzo", i.e protection money.

Regardless, it's quite difficult to tell what might be mafia-related lawlessness and what is just typical Italian lawlessness. Keeping everything within the family, secrecy, protecting your own, bending the rules wherever possible, etc, are fairly ubiquitous.
Nice one

Mad that so many businesses pay protection money. There was a thing on Newsnight about the Italian mafia organisations, and they said they're the second biggest contributer to the economy. So the country needs their dosh. It's a way of ensuring their existence for a long time.
this wouldn't surprise me. they are so entrenched in so many aspects that it can't be easy to just get rid of them
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Steggo
Legend

3 years ago

Mafia and the Vatican on a par.