Plato, Aristotle, Socrates and us.

The original Den of Iniquity
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:
FuB, I'm happy enough with that theory, same way I don't understand why creationism and eveloution need to be separate.

Why can't God have created dinosaurs then?

Because a man, who has no omnipotent power at all, wrote it down.

Nah!
I don't think you're by any means alone in suggesting that creationism and evolution don't need to be mutually exclusive. i'd want to go a good few billion years before the dinosaurs to find a point where i'd be able to see a point where creation/the universe may have needed a helping hand, though.

it's pretty hard to get your head around the concept that all we can observe - meaning the universe as a whole - can have suddenly sprung into being from 'nothing'. there's still some philosophical problems with invoking a creator at that point as well, though.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Aye it can't have just existed forever with no start point, or I'd be surprised to find any human who's brain can comfortably accept 100% that concept
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:Aye it can't have just existed forever with no start point, or I'd be surprised to find any human who's brain can comfortably accept 100% that concept
I think it's pretty much accepted (with the odd exception) in the scientific community that there was a start point, i.e. the so called "big bang". whether or not such an event requires a 'creator' to flip the switch is probably up for debate.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Who'd have thought a year ago amidst all the bitterness and anger we'd get 5 pages of decent insightful discussion about philosophy

Incredible

But anyway yeah go fuck yourselves, cunts
marlon
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote: What about karma while alive and what about ghosts etc then.
Neither to be honest. If we're hoping karma and judgement day are there to punish the bad and reward the good, are we letting the bad guys off the hook (and ourselves for not doing anything about it)?
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:Who'd have thought a year ago amidst all the bitterness and anger we'd get 5 pages of decent insightful discussion about philosophy

Incredible

Haha, what about the wealth theory ending up back with the wealthy eventually Sid
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:
Sid wrote:Who'd have thought a year ago amidst all the bitterness and anger we'd get 5 pages of decent insightful discussion about philosophy

Incredible

Haha, what about the wealth theory ending up back with the wealthy eventually Sid
Nah....what about all Jose just born into money or money left to them....they'd be fucked if it all was a level playing field....

In facts id say those that were used to living on less (working-class and some middle-class) would maybe be able to save more and use it more wisely- tho a fair few would probably just get drunk a lot more and go on shit holidays to Spain
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Dead is dead for me Zebs. No soul, no heaven, no higher plain, no great reward, no hell. So enjoy what you have now!
Right... so no repercussions for being a total self serving cunt then?

So what is the point of being good?

You've got 75 odd years here, if you're lucky, and there is nothing after that... people live, they die... nothing to judge, nothing to aspire for... the only incentive should therefore be, to get the most out of whatever time you've got here, and if history has taught us anything, it's that the villains have the most fun, the most satisfying existence...the only thing you should be worried about, is getting caught...

That might be your idea of life... it's not mine... I'm not Christian, or Buddhist, or anything else, because it's a complete mystery to me... but I can not, will not believe, that there is no reckoning... the establishment paedos, the Abramiovics, the Rumsfelds, Rockefellers, Hitlers, CAN NOT, just live their lives, indulging every whim at the expense of everyone else... and not pay for it at some point... I believe in nature, and nature is balance... and whatever you do in this life, has to be accounted for at some point... there has to be a balance...
You know you asked me that question before and it has haunted me since, probably the best question i've ever been asked. But my answer was (i think) i like being good, i feel better about myself.

As for Hitler and his ilk, i'm afraid they get off scot-free when they die in my world, all the more reason to hate the bastards while they are alive.
But they don't just live Coop... they rule, they control, they destroy... 7 million Jews tortured, and killed... how many Iraqis from Bush, Blair, Rumsfeld?... how many poor young children suffered at the hands of elitist, establishment peados???

In your thinking, and I'm not having a go mate, I'm not, but in your thinking, that's it, Hitler kills/destroys, Blair and his ilk same, the peados get to have their sick fun at the expense of children who haven't even had the chance to choose right or wrong in their own lives... these men get their lives, their dreams, and ambitions fulfilled, while those they ruined, get nothing but misery... and in your thinking, that's life... I can't, won't accept that... there will be an accounting... these men will pay for their choices... in some way... that is the only way to find balance... even Einstein believed in something... maybe it's just energy, positive and negative, and the release or reuse of it... but there has to be balance... that's just nature...
That's it. As harsh as it sounds. I'm not trying to convince anyone i'm right. Most people find it a horrific point of view. But it makes more sense to me than any religious or spiritual belief, those let people off the hook in the present deferring the responsibility to act to a future time while the evil is happening now.

Here's a quote from Cormac McCarthy's 'The Crossing' it kind of sums up how i feel...

“The wicked know that if the ill they do be of sufficient horror that men will not speak against it. That men have just enough stomach for small evils and only these will they oppose. He said that true evil has power to sober the smalldoer against his own deeds and in the contemplation of that evil he may even find the path of righteousness which has been foreign to his feet and may have no power but to go upon it. Even this man may be appalled at what is revealed to him and seek some order to stand against it. Yet in all of this there are two things which perhaps he will not know. He will not know that while the order which the righteous seek is never righteousness itself but is only order, the disorder of evil is in fact the thing itself. Nor will he know that while the righteous are hampered at every turn by their ignorance of evil to the evil all is plain, light and dark alike. This man of which we speak will seek to impose order and lineage upon things which rightly have none. He will call upon the world itself to testify as to the truth of what are in fact but his desires. In his final incarnation he may seek to indemnify his words with blood for by now he will have discovered that words pale and lose their savor while pain is always new.”

.... and then you die.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

marlon wrote:
redzebs wrote: What about karma while alive and what about ghosts etc then.
Neither to be honest. If we're hoping karma and judgement day are there to punish the bad and reward the good, are we letting the bad guys off the hook (and ourselves for not doing anything about it)?
I swear i hadn't read this post, or the previous one, when i posted the one above. Me and Marlon, who'd have thought it? :ymhug:

Sorry Zebs, i had a period of time when i was fascinated by ghosts, spirits, apparitions, regilious manifestations, group delusions etc. Even went to a few haunted houses old and new builds. I talked to people who claim they see spirits. I don't believe any of it....

Karma as a broad cultural concept, the idea 'if you do good things good things will happen you' state of mind, i understand. But as a hard and fast rule that can be measured, it's bollocks.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
marlon
Legend

3 years ago

How would you guys define working class, middle class, liberal elite etc.?

Is it more financial or cultural?