Sofia

The original Den of Iniquity
redzebs
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
redzebs wrote:Kraftwerk

But seriously, they are fuckin polar bear mad and they are landlocked in Central Europe,

I've been to the Berlin zoo post 2011, I don't they've replaced Knut!
hang on a minute... are you equating Kraftwerk to Hagen and Falco (who was Austrian)? The only group mentioned so far that have any sort of lineage with them are Grauzone (who were Swiss).

Suck my balls ya snob, Swampy listens to fuckin Gabrielle!
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

redzebs wrote:
FuB wrote:

But seriously, they are fuckin polar bear mad and they are landlocked in Central Europe,

hang on a minute... are you equating Kraftwerk to Hagen and Falco (who was Austrian)? The only group mentioned so far that have any sort of lineage with them are Grauzone (who were Swiss).

That why I had to ask him to clarify on Falco a bit. Not sure if he's a huge fan or just dabbles a bit
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
redzebs
Legend

1 year ago

See to be honest, I consider myself a decent music aficionado, love most genres, would know loads of back catalogues but you never see anyone here on what are you listening too going on about the smiths on their way home from work, or some Northern soul track, or Prince, or Bowie or even Jarvis Cocker or pink Floyd or elo or anything after 1995 tbf.

It's always yeah got my speakers up on big als crocodile solo in d minor, yeah listen to that percussion.

I can't stand commercial radio but a bit of yeah heard that new libertines album or the last shadow puppets or Conor oberst or anything that's decent but you wouldn't hear on the radio would make sense.

Surely some ranters listen to current rock.

Like the cribs out of Wakefield, that album with Johnny Marr was awesome and for some good old stadium just good tune gigs the Courteeners who sang not 19 forever when we won our 20th title are a good night out.

But someone goes yeah Herbert's good but koala bears bass guatarist was amazing and everyone knows what their on about!
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

redzebs wrote:See to be honest, I consider myself a decent music aficionado, love most genres, would know loads of back catalogues but you never see anyone here on what are you listening too going on about the smiths on their way home from work, or some Northern soul track, or Prince, or Bowie or even Jarvis Cocker or pink Floyd or elo or anything after 1995 tbf.

It's always yeah got my speakers up on big als crocodile solo in d minor, yeah listen to that percussion.

I can't stand commercial radio but a bit of yeah heard that new libertines album or the last shadow puppets or Conor oberst or anything that's decent but you wouldn't hear on the radio would make sense.

Like the cribs out of Wakefield, that album with Johnny Marr was awesome and for some good old stadium just good tune gigs the Courteeners who sang not 19 forever when we won our 20th title are a good night out.

But someone goes yeah Herbert's good but koala bears bass guatarist was amazing and everyone knows what their on about!
:)) that's proper funny, had me howling

I listen to indie but not so much The Cribs or The Libertines. I wasn't much having them when they came out, I'm a lot more The Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses etc

Not heard a lot of decent modern rock n roll tbh. It's still there, but there's not a lot of ideas in it for me. But I prefer it to all the modern fucking quiet electro shite that's being knocked out.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
redzebs wrote:See to be honest, I consider myself a decent music aficionado, love most genres, would know loads of back catalogues but you never see anyone here on what are you listening too going on about the smiths on their way home from work, or some Northern soul track, or Prince, or Bowie or even Jarvis Cocker or pink Floyd or elo or anything after 1995 tbf.

I listen to indie but not so much The Cribs or The Libertines. I wasn't much having them when they came out, I'm a lot more The Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses etc

Not heard a lot of decent modern rock n roll tbh. It's still there, but there's not a lot of ideas in it for me. But I prefer it to all the modern fucking quiet electro shite that's being knocked out.
A big part of the problem is, the industry doesn't much give a shit about "scene" music any more... it promotes what it controls, and it doesn't control, "the scene"... Simon fuckhead Cowell has more clout, and more musical exposure than the entire underground, indy scene...

If you want to find good, new music, you have to be looking for it in the city centres... won't find much on the radio, or MTV... I can't be arsed with clubs any more, so don't really know what the fuck is going on... my loss, for sure, but having said that, my generation had the best 10/15 years in music history, and I've got a collection of nearly 2000 albums, that spans everything from Samuel Barber to Iggy Pop, from Jon Hassel to Tool, Miles Davis to Massive Attack, The Beatles to Radiohead...

Not short of good tunes...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:

A big part of the problem is, the industry doesn't much give a shit about "scene" music any more... it promotes what it controls, and it doesn't control, "the scene"... Simon fuckhead Cowell has more clout, and more musical exposure than the entire underground, indy scene...

If you want to find good, new music, you have to be looking for it in the city centres... won't find much on the radio, or MTV... I can't be arsed with clubs any more, so don't really know what the fuck is going on... my loss, for sure, but having said that, my generation had the best 10/15 years in music history, and I've got a collection of nearly 2000 albums, that spans everything from Samuel Barber to Iggy Pop, from Jon Hassel to Tool, Miles Davis to Massive Attack, The Beatles to Radiohead...

Not short of good tunes...
This is the crux of it, Alf. Everything nowadays is just market-driven for short-term exposure and maximising on that one hit. If that one hit comes (and that's far from a certainty when so much shit is being moulded into something competitive) then maybe they'll get a shot at a second hit. If that comes, well, maybe they can become a sensation. If it doesn't then bye bye...

It's pretty much always been the case that "pop music" is marketed at young, teenage girls and I don't have an issue with that, really. Once upon a time that sort of thing could support an industry that would take a punt on some nutcases doing something truly different and no one knew what they were doing - and to a point, didn't care too much as long as the pop was bringing in the money.

At some point the accountants realised that the industry was just wasting money on stuff that you might call "niche" or even stuff that had quite a wide appeal. The money was on teenage girls and their fickle interests.... but this happened at least as far back as the late 70s, early 80s.

Call me a snob, Zebs, but that track you initially posted was a rip-off of Grauzone's incredibly niche track from 1980. I think it's an important historical point that informed a lot of club stuff that came much later. Sadly, a lot of that later stuff just wrung as much fast cash out of "updating" (at best) and ripping off (at worst) stuff that was, arguably, better and more vital. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the rip-off you posted made loads more money than Grauzone ever did.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
redzebs
Legend

1 year ago

I recognised some of Alfs words tbf, that's a start.

I've the original love will tear us apart on vinyl, the original freebird so I've a pretty broad taste.

But the likes of Doherty and Barat, you might think their cunts but it is purely about the love of the music and all the influences. Courteeners are just a good night out about most of it modern social commentary.

I still think Alex Turner is one of the most talented cunts around, to have so many genres switching it up on each album and the lyrics are relatable plus his last shadow puppets albums with full orchestras were proper music.

But aye, Cowell, Walsh, Britains got not no talent, all a load of shuts manipulated to make money $$$, given no advice what to do next and fucked out for the next season.

Another few albums me and a mate who's a decent knowledge of music were listening to by the pull was Kanyes first album before he became a total cunt, through the wire and never let you down for example and jayz's the black album, that is fuckin superb.

Can we do a Trumpet song (rant mix),

Nobody listen to techno, now let's go, trumpet solo, per per per der der.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

I think the music industry has always been market driven for short term success. There were shitloads of throwaway singles in the 50s after second world war when teenagers were created and they had a few quid in their pocket, that plus new technology aka the mass marketted vinyl and white kids loving jazz, soul, blues etc. There are umpteen fucking throwaway artists from those days and a lot of them were tunes. It's the music industry under capitalism.

What's changed for me is downloading. There's a shitload less money in the industry now. We've gone from 5 major labels signing shitloads of bands and putting out shitloads of records to shitloads of people who bought shitloads of music (this was the last great outpouring of working class music/art) to 1 major label putting out less music played by mostly posh cunts. The music they make reflects that, a lot of quiet electro shite that's been knocked up on a laptop in 20 minutes. Literally, a cunt like Bastille (Kings College) said he writes songs in 15 minutes in his bedroom. And being posh and utterly privileged he's got nothing interesting to say except faux high brow references to inform the audience he went to a private school. This electro shite is cheap to tour as well because stripped back you don't even need guitar, bass drums because it's all on a backing track. You can pack everyone into a fuel efficient hatchback and drive all over europe. You don't need to spend 6 weeks setting up the drums in a studio paying the producer, engineers, studio time etc before you've even recorded a note, you can just do the drums on a sequencer on a laptop in a couple of days and it sounds 'perfect'. In 6 weeks they'd expect you to write 3 full albums now.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:I think the music industry has always been market driven for short term success. There were shitloads of throwaway singles in the 50s after second world war when teenagers were created and they had a few quid in their pocket, that plus new technology aka the mass marketted vinyl and white kids loving jazz, soul, blues etc. There are umpteen fucking throwaway artists from those days and a lot of them were tunes. It's the music industry under capitalism.

What's changed for me is downloading. There's a shitload less money in the industry now. We've gone from 5 major labels signing shitloads of bands and putting out shitloads of records to shitloads of people who bought shitloads of music (this was the last great outpouring of working class music/art) to 1 major label putting out less music played by mostly posh cunts. The music they make reflects that, a lot of quiet electro shite that's been knocked up on a laptop in 20 minutes. Literally, a cunt like Bastille (Kings College) said he writes songs in 15 minutes in his bedroom. And being posh and utterly privileged he's got nothing interesting to say except faux high brow references to inform the audience he went to a private school. This electro shite is cheap to tour as well because stripped back you don't even need guitar, bass drums because it's all on a backing track. You can pack everyone into a fuel efficient hatchback and drive all over europe. You don't need to spend 6 weeks setting up the drums in a studio paying the producer, engineers, studio time etc before you've even recorded a note, you can just do the drums on a sequencer on a laptop in a couple of days and it sounds 'perfect'. In 6 weeks they'd expect you to write 3 full albums now.
That's true Sid, the industry has always been driven by what it can sell... but once upon a time it actually cared about what the kids were listening to... in fact it followed the kids to FIND what might be the next big thing... now, it doesn't care what the kids are listening to, because it largely controls what the kids are listening to... there's still some good stuff being made, and some kids are following it... but the industry doesn't care about that any more, because it has enough control over the big money side of the market...

Downloads has thrown a spanner into the financial works of the industry, but the vast bulk of whatever money is spent on music, is still largely spent on the trash generated by the industry, for the industry...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

redzebs wrote:
FuB wrote:

...Janelle Monáe, even!
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...