Sofia

The original Den of Iniquity
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 3978
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

Strange actually, as it's not the sort of music I would normally gravitate towards. I'm much more of a blues fan myself. But her set on the 'other stage' was simply class.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13446
Joined: 5 years ago

1 year ago

swampash wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
swampash wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
swampash wrote: ...Janelle Monáe, even!
Shite!
Nah, she was fucking brilliant seen live at Glastonbury - 2011, I think it was...
If you say so...
I do.
I was there and she was a real highlight.
Yeah, back in the late 80s, I went to see Bowie, the Glass Spider tour... Duran Duran were one of the opening acts... there was a large gaggle of 12/13 year old girls behind us... they went fuckin mad... for them, Duran Duran were a real highlight...

I was there... they were fuckin SHITE!
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 3978
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

Don't be such a tosser Alf.
We can all dig out examples like that. Fact is I went to see her play, without an agenda, and was impressed. Period.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13446
Joined: 5 years ago

1 year ago

swampash wrote:Don't be such a tosser Alf.
We can all dig out examples like that. Fact is I went to see her play, without an agenda, and was impressed. Period.
If you say so...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 3978
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
swampash wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
swampash wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Shite!
Nah, she was fucking brilliant seen live at Glastonbury - 2011, I think it was...
If you say so...
I do.
I was there and she was a real highlight.
Yeah, back in the late 80s, I went to see Bowie, the Glass Spider tour... Duran Duran were one of the opening acts... there was a large gaggle of 12/13 year old girls behind us... they went fuckin mad... for them, Duran Duran were a real highlight...

I was there... they were fuckin SHITE!
According to whose values? Did those kids enjoy the music less because of your sneering attitude? Do you adopt the same supercilious attitude to stuff your kids listen to?
The beauty of music is its diversity. We all find stuff we relate to, but to classify any music as 'shit' because it's not to your narrow liking is, frankly, bollox
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
redzebs
Legend
Posts: 11385
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

swampash wrote:You don't know?????
FFS!!!
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/ ... -cd-review

A review from 7 years ago and she's never come over here or down South that I know of or speaking to local musicians and drinking in pubs with the local scene and chatting to Terry Hooley and does he still keep his finger on the pulse, never even seen her mentioned at festivals but I'll give her a listen on Apple Music for nowt.

Do you listen to John Grant or James Blakes stuff.

Conor Oberst has a couple out, empty hotel by the see and Afterthought which I'm not sure if it was a b side but check it :-)
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
User avatar
redzebs
Legend
Posts: 11385
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

Aye there's definitely a bit of Snobbery all round on here, my posts are usually not commercial so I don't get slagged and sometimes old enough like Gary Moore and seeing Rory Gallagher live gets you brownie posts but mostly ignored.

But I believe posters genuinely like the music they post, but I think sometimes they overemphasise the edginess of it and how far far far away from the mainstream it is.

And then Sid makes me listens to songs that are raising evil spirits for all I know lol
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 3978
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

I really enjoy discovering new stuff at live gigs, which is why I like festivals so much. You can accidentally stroll into something you wouldn't normally seek out, which then tuns out to be really good. That's happened surprisingly often. I haven't got time today to list them, but there are lots of things I discovered that way.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 3978
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

I was just thinking I might have been a bit harsh on Alf re. use of the word shite with respect to music...when you consider there's things like Barry Manilow...?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 3978
Joined: 4 years ago

1 year ago

...and Abba...
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Post Reply