Mayweather v McGregor

Discuss other sports here
redzebs
Legend

11 months ago

I know Alf, if Mayaeather puts on a clinic then fair enough but there's already shit being thrown around and McGregor using the public to put pressure on Maywrather to use lighter gloves for example and Mayweather said no problem, then Mayweather said if you're so tough then bet your whole fight money and McGregor said right not a problem, get a new contract drawn up and you could see Maywrathet changing the subject quick smart.

I can see a number of things happening :-

1. The shite talking and slagging being funny enough to be worth watching it as a solo show.

McGregor is a cheeky wee cunt but Maywrathers coming back like a rapper and going uh yeah wass up wass up hard work hard work, hard work and even already McGregor is sitting going say something original, you're a boring cunt, and bringing up Mayweathers tax problems and stuff,

I think Mayweather is used to being at least respected if not feared, he can't live on the mic with someone who is genuinely crude but quick witted and will say anything.

Again, you have to just give in to the crassness and the cheesiness and laugh at it for what it is, it's not dignified, there have been some genuinely witty retorts but yes Mayweather under the comfort of all his rules or at least the standard rules for a fight at that weight, so the glove weight suits Mayweather, he's given the other camp a list of demands, which is totally normal in boxing but not in UFC and McGregors deliberately listing them to make Mayweather seem like a fruit e.g.

Gloves aren't allowed to be made in Mexico for some reason, no horse hair, etc etc

2. The more the crowd are sweating him and the more McGregor winds him up, the better the chance Mayweather might make some allowances, he even slipped up under booing pressure and said I'll fight in the ring in the Octagon no problem and McGregor called him on it and it made Mayweather look ridiculous because he's clearly going to be remembered as one of the G.O.A.T but by trying to get at McGregor he's floundering because McGregor genuinely can say things like this isn't even 1/4 of a real fight, you and your stupid rules, I'll stick to the Marquess of Queensbury but if you disrespect me and used an example I think of clashing heads of low blow (this was in his own small presser or one of them), I might have to put you down i.e. UFC style.

3. Again, listen, it's all hype for the fans to enjoy shit talking, a bit of vindication for UFC fans who think boxing fans still patronise them and are snobby, but Mayweather would have been better in just looking mean and respectful and telling the world look McGregor you begged for this fight, Im the only one you can earn proper $ from so I'll do my talking in the ring,

But he'd better put McGregor down hard because McGregor has made a complete cunt out of him, slagging his tracksuits, his old cars, his money bag not having a genuine real amount of money in it, the fact he owns a strip club, he gave a shout out to Mayweathers strippers lol, he said even Rob Kardashian only needed one!

So McGregor was always going to act the idiot but Mayweather has taken the bait and is actually more cringeworthy because he comes on like a "killa" with all his gangster jewellery and looking mean as fuck and you've this pasty ginger Irish man calling him a bitch and telling him to shut the fuck up or he'll knock his cunt in and interrupting him and having the crowd in stitches.

McGregor is already using all of Mayweathers style against him, you just run away and try and win on points, you haven't knocked anybody out in 20 years, you can't stand toe to toe and trade punches.

You're right, it's farcical at times but McGregor has nothing to lose to try and force Mayweather into proving him wrong, he's only 28 and has nothing to lose, he could retire from fighting after this and live off promoting a few fights a year, coming out of retirement every few years to give an up and comer in UFC a match or a boxing legend who's retiring or whatever, he's set.

Mayweather is trying to act hard and he can't seem to get why 49-0 means nothing to anyone at the conferences, there's 40,000 booed him live so far plus the vast majority of social media and by tomorrow's one in London should bring that up to maybe 100,000 people booing a legend in different countries over 5 days.

And imagine if McGregor managed to land one punchers chance South Paw punch to the jaw, Mayweather ending up 49-1 instead of 50-0 fully retired, that's why it's interesting, it's an on the very very slim but still off chance one. 12 years + age gap, Mayweather hasn't fought in 2 years, how are is speed and stamina gonna be post 40? While McGregor was an amateur boxer and his best fights have all been as a striker and is in his prime.

I'm starting to wonder if it'll be just as easy as McGregor can take punishment, is used to it, and IF it lasts past 5 rounds well then he's in uncharted territory and it gets interesting. But the hugging and rope breaks along with training, he can't build the experience but he can build the stamina to go longer so if depends what Mayweather wants to do,

Personally I think his best bet is somewhere between his normal slower style and going in full risk at the start trusting on reflexes to end it early, but if he chooses a middle ground, is a bit less defensive than normal and goes in harder, earlier but still plays if a bit cautious and doesn't take silly risks, he should be able to finish it after 3 or 4 without putting himself in harms way
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Snoopcousins
Legend

11 months ago

No doubt Mayweather will win....out boxed from the very start - none of McGregors running around or speed will matter ....
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Sid
Legend

11 months ago

Aye, could McGregor even beat a british boxing champ, let alone the greatest ever. I doubt it

The press conferences are fucking hilarious though, and also absolutely ridiculous. But it's nice to see Mayweather getting slapped down by an even bigger gobshite after those Ricky Hatton press conferences. Nothing stops McGregor, he loves a crowd almost as much as he loves himself. Floyd is on his arse
redzebs
Legend

11 months ago

Sid wrote:Aye, could McGregor even beat a british boxing champ, let alone the greatest ever. I doubt it

The press conferences are fucking hilarious though, and also absolutely ridiculous. But it's nice to see Mayweather getting slapped down by an even bigger gobshite after those Ricky Hatton press conferences. Nothing stops McGregor, he loves a crowd almost as much as he loves himself. Floyd is on his arse

I know, both press conferences McGregor has roasted him, Mayweathers portrayal of himself as from the hood to straight up pimpin untouchable, unphaseable killa is starting to get shredded, if McGregor was just an upstart wee gobshite boxer who had flulikily beat someone good people would be on his case but it's the fact he knows, the crowd know, and most importantly Mayweather knows, maybe for the first time ever, if the piss taking got out of hand and it kicked off even a wee bit for 60 secs before anyone could intervene McGregor could break his arm, smash his face in and have him on the ground at his mercy, and that must rattle Floyd a bit, official boxing rules, much harsher referees, rope breaks, holding, are the only reason McGregor doesn't leave him in a heap.

But Mayweather needs to stop saying he'd get into the Octagon, McGregor can wear whatever gloves he wants etc. because if the McGrefor team said ok and pushed it saying there's Floyd admitting it is ok to the world, it would be an embarrassing climb down for Mayweather, only thing McGregor needs to watch is if he goes too far, if he really fucked Mayweather off, a pull out with an injury, cancellation due to breach of contract of illness or any number of things, Mayweather still goes into the history books as maybe the best ever while people in 29 years will ask, what about that Irish guy he was supposed to fight and non UFC fans will go, he was just a wee gobshite wrestling cunt guy who couldn't keep his mouth shut and he turned things into a joke so the fight was cancelled and McGregor becomes a foot note and doesn't reach that crazy money bracket. He's basically getting a Pogba for free for taking on a softer hitting but technically superb boxer and getting shown up for 4 or 5 rounds but I don't think McGregor is at risk of getting hurt.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

11 months ago

Sid wrote:Aye, could McGregor even beat a british boxing champ, let alone the greatest ever. I doubt it

Mayweather isn't the greatest ever... not even close... he's probably the best ever at not getting hit, a top quality "boxer"... but there's plenty of proper "fighters" who wouldn't have let him get away with that...

Regardless... what I'm hoping for, and it actually might happen... is Mayweather starts that hide and seek shite, and winds up McGregor to the point, he snaps in the ring, and resorts to type... wouldn't it be fuckin cool if he lost it, and just grabbed Mayweather, picked him up, body slammed him, dropped to the mat, and put an arm lock on him, snapping it at the elbow????
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

11 months ago

Maywether is hard to hit, that's the problem. If great boxers can't hit how can a good one whose really an MMA fighter?

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor won, then they can get another fight out of it, maybe even a triology. The money would be astronomical. In 3 fights Maywether would probably earn more than he has in his previous 49.
redzebs
Legend

11 months ago

NYC was shite, McGregor had to basically try and prove he wasn't a racist.

See dance for me boy is borderline in America and from a white man to a black man, ropey territory, but it wouldn't have those connotations in Dublin, I knew someone would pull McGregor on it after he said twice, that's the risk of ad libbing trash talk,

I doubt he meant to say it or even thought he would say it until Mayweather started shadow boxing in front of him,

So we had 10 mins of McG coming out like a pimp referencing 50 cent Jay Z and saying he was half black, from the waist down.

Oh dear......
pint vulger
Legend

11 months ago

So RZ McGregor comes over as an extremely unlikeable character,and I,m assuming here ? that his look ,smartly parted hair ,beard and covered in tattoos ,dressed in too tight clothing is the model for all the beefcake boys wandering about the streets nowadays.
I assuming the boxer will knock ten bells out of him, whilst everyone is cheering ,what a strange breed we are.
redzebs
Legend

11 months ago

pint vulger wrote:So RZ McGregor comes over as an extremely unlikeable character,and I,m assuming here ? that his look ,smartly parted hair ,beard and covered in tattoos ,dressed in too tight clothing is the model for all the beefcake boys wandering about the streets nowadays.
I assuming the boxer will knock ten bells out of him, whilst everyone is cheering ,what a strange breed we are.

Not really sure what your point is Pint.

The one thing I would say is that he's definitely not a "beefcake boy".

Those would be the entourage Mayweather surrounds himself with that McGregor told him to go and get some more juice ie steroids for and would annihilate, and no, I don't think anyone wants to be pasty, Ginger, crass, covered in tattoos and looks like a fuckin spoon until he chokes you out.

Except anyone who is already, ginger, pale, crass, a spoon and likes tattoos.
redzebs
Legend

11 months ago

It was funny after the NYC press conference when the commentators were going, it's hilarious that these big body builders tried to step to the guy with McGreogor who was about 11 stone but would take them all out easily.