The "Gig Economy"...

The original Den of Iniquity

Moderators: Alfonso Bedoya, brianofnazarethffs

Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

The "Gig Economy"...

Postby Alfonso Bedoya » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 am

Big thing on the news today...

I'm a bit torn on this one... it seems to me that the government is trying,(and failing for me) to make an argument, that they're doing this in the interest of the "employee" who's not having his rights protected under the gig economy... it's a good argument, because there's a lot of people out there working hard, with no protection, no insurance, no benefits, and no job security at all... this needs sorting...

Having said that, there's suggestions that the government doesn't actually give a fuck about a lot of these employees, specifically the ones who work for some of these growing companies who are contributing to getting the unemployed into work, and are at least paying taxes... for me, I think the government is using this "protecting workers rights" argument to crack down on the cash in hand economy... the self employed grafter, who's painting houses, washing windows, mowing lawns, and not declaring all the income he should...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

Sid
Legend

Re: The "Gig Economy"...

Postby Sid » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Spot on. The government can't tax cash in hand work so they want to end it. They're trying to do away with paper transactions all together n all.

And right with a gig economy job you can have full time work one month and none the next. So you have no income in that period. But the landlord still wants his rent, the big companies still want their bills. So it's bollocks. You can't get on the housing ladder either. If they want people to buy into capitalist living you have to pay them more and give them consistent work like what we had when the previous generation was young. There was no writing a CV and emailing it into a void for 6 months hearing fuck all back, then working for free for 6 months in B&M.

redzebs
Legend

Re: The "Gig Economy"...

Postby redzebs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:07 pm

And you can't get a mortgage either
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”