Criminally forgotten, neglected or unappreciated musicians/bands

The original Den of Iniquity
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

Sid wrote:
2 years ago
Have any of you lot heard of Lynched / Lankum?

More stuff https://lynchedmusic.com/music/

Born out of the punk scene, now they're mixing it with folk
Can't say I've ever heard of them, Sid.

With regards to that track you've posted: I just can't get any interest up for celtic-type folk music. I'm sure that's a failing on my part but it irritates me far more than it interests me.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

I'm into it tbf. The rhythms are different to english music, it's bouncier, quicker. And these traditional celtic bands are always supreme musicians and tight as fuck.
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

sure... that's not in doubt. it just never touches me for one reason or another. I feel sort of embarrassed not to be able to put my finger on exactly why that is.
Lazarus
Legend

2 years ago

I've a foot in both camps with the Irish folk thing, i grew up soaked in it but for a lot of reasons i kind of abandoned it. But i'm surrounded by Irish folk players and everything i go to play ends up feeling Irish/folky, where as i want to sound more country. The bastard son of country and Irish is this irish country band resurgence, which i hate....

I like lankum but my missus would throw a fit if i played the start bit with just the girl singing, she hates Sean-nós singing with a passion.

Can i post an Mp3 on here? If i can i'll stick up one of my attempts...... :ymblushing:
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

Lazarus wrote:
2 years ago
Can i post an Mp3 on here? If i can i'll stick up one of my attempts...... :ymblushing:
I think so... I just checked and mp3 is defined as an allowed extension but it looks like it will make it an attachment to download.

give it a blast and we'll find out once and for all!
Lazarus
Legend

2 years ago

This is Mary Dillion a friend for years who sings on the tune i'll post, this is filmed in my old haunting ground. Her sister is Cara Dillon.

The Henry Girls, i know these as well, used to teach a bit of music with them...

Kate o'Callaghan, nearly made a bit of music with these two, i like this...

Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Fantastic that, Laz. I'm going to work my way through em properly tomorrow.

Speaking of folkies at your local... this is Big Mick, a local folk legend, he sings in a couple of pubs I frequent, where the old boys spontaneously sing folk songs

This one's about the triple trawler tragedy

Sid
Legend

2 years ago

I'vd had a proper listen - I like that Kate O'Callaghan one. Got that country bounce to it. I can see myself getting in to that stuff in years to come. Am half way there with the folk stuff.
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Fub, the drum kit that lass is playing in that band is fucking great. I wouldn't mind knocking something like that up for myself in the future. You can't beat a beer keg, well you can, but you can play it musically too. If it's done right it can bring a really nice sharp metallic sound to your stuff. It's something different.
Lazarus
Legend

2 years ago

Sid wrote:
2 years ago
Fantastic that, Laz. I'm going to work my way through em properly tomorrow.

Speaking of folkies at your local... this is Big Mick, a local folk legend, he sings in a couple of pubs I frequent, where the old boys spontaneously sing folk songs

This one's about the triple trawler tragedy

Loved that Sid. Bet the players behind him were itchin' to start a drone up behind him.... :)) It's class when someone can carry a whole song on their own.