Buying a new laptop or desktop

The original Den of Iniquity
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Sid wrote:I couldn't find the steve Jobs thread? Gutted

Anyway I'm on an old Mac right now and it's fucking shite. Everything we said in that thread was true. They're shite, it's been officially decided now.
I'm on a 7 year old MBP and it's running as good as the first day i bought it and it has never broken down.

And i'm no Apple or Jobs fan.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

This one is 7 years old and it lags. I know someone with a new macbook thing, cost 1200, and it fucking lags on webpages, lags when you open up a prog. I was shocked. I thought they were fast as fuck? The most powerful comps around?

But no, what you're paying for is lifestyle. It's heavy heavy heavy fucking lifestyle. It's probably worth 6/700 if it was a normal comp. But the Apple mark up is ridiculous.

It's worse than I thought originally tbf
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Cost me £1200 and in that time my family has gone through 7 laptops. I agree with the lifestyle thing, absolute wankers. But this thing of mine just keeps trooping, there isn't one thing i can say bad about it. I've been through 3 ipods and have now given up on them cause they're shite.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Yeah this is still going tbf. The same couldn't be said for a windows laptop. But it's the 1500/1700 quid ones that lag that I can't get my head around. A good thou of what you're paying is for the brand.

I have an old 160gb ipod and it's shite tbf, shite to use, fraught with problems, a ballache to get around itunes. I've easily put hundreds of hours into getting music on to there, sometimes having to type in the fucking details in by hand. But tbf 7 years on it does still work. But then for 200 quid that's just what I'd expect.
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Yeah I just stick with phone for music tbf,

What are you using it for mostly mate?

Now don't berate me, and to each their own, I mean a cracking new laptop you'll get for a couple of hundred quid but if I was buying a laptop I'd buy a refurbished one with windows 7 or vista because windows shit itself and decided it needed to be like Apple and 8 onwards are shite plus a good refurbished one the guys you get it off will still give you a guarantee and it'll probably be a fuckin boss one you wouldn't have been able to afford when it first came out but they'll have updated all the shit in it.

Anyway, you don't need the latest one but I'm on an I pad 2 so 2010? And it needs a wee tune up but I use it every single day and there's nothing really I can't do on it, the laptop I use I spilt a gin and tonic into it years ago so I have to plug an old skool keyboard into it lol but if it was me personally I'd go on Groupon and living social etc and get an I pad a few models back like a 3 or an air for about £200, and they are handy as fuck, plus if the screens too small you can just cast it onto your tv with any number of cheap devices
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:Yeah I just stick with phone for music tbf,

Now don't berate me, and to each their own, I mean a cracking new laptop you'll get for a couple of hundred quid but if I was buying a laptop I'd buy a refurbished one with windows 7 or vista because windows shit itself and decided it needed to be like Apple and 8 onwards are shite plus a good refurbished one the guys you get it off will still give you a guarantee and it'll probably be a fuckin boss one you wouldn't have been able to afford when it first came out but they'll have updated all the shit in it.

Anyway, you don't need the latest one but I'm on an I pad 2 so 2010? And it needs a wee tune up but I use it every single day and there's nothing really I can't do on it, the laptop I use I spilt a gin and tonic into it years ago so I have to plug an old skool keyboard into it lol but if it was me personally I'd go on Groupon and living social etc and get an I pad a few models back like a 3 or an air for about £200, and they are handy as fuck, plus if the screens too small you can just cast it onto your tv with any number of cheap devices
if you pay high prices (perhaps still less than apple prices) for a windows-based laptop, i would expect that to be of equivalent quality. I've got a (not top spec or price but not el cheapo) Dell I've had for at least 4 or 5 years now and, despite the fact I've bashed it about (not that you'd notice any dents or whatever) and I've even used it for long periods in really dusty environments, it's still working fine and has never skipped a beat.

zebs, i'd caution you with getting a machine with an ancient OS on it simply because Microsoft will eventually drop support as will other software vendors such as antivirus, etc. i agree that windows 7 was pretty nice and windows 8 was fucking dreadful but windows 10 isn't too bad at all.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Aye well this 2003 one is constantly powered on, the buttons don't work and it's got far too much old work software on it but still works a charm lol.

Haven't seen 10 tbf but 8 was diabolical yes mate, especially when they tried the it's a touchscreen laptop with a keyboard, not one of those ones that's basically a tablet that slides onto a keyboard. A full normal laptop with windows 8 and a touch screen. Was shocking tbf.
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:Yeah I just stick with phone for music tbf,

The mac? Just for talking shite on the internet mostly. Nothing heavy.

I was just shocked at how much of the 1500 you pay is for Apple lifestyle bollocks. It's worse than I thought. I assumed if you paid 1500 for a mac then you could run heavy music software on it, graphic heavy games, as well as flash heavy websites. But no, it will struggle a bit. And that's bang out of order for me. But I suppose the Apple hype got to even me tbf, I thought they were better than they were.

Also there's a bit of false economy going on nowadays with this Apple v regular laptop shit. You can have one mac last 10 years, and in that time you might go through 3 laptops. But 3 laptops that cost 400 quid (which is not exactly the cheapest of the cheap laptops) still comes out cheaper than the newest, cheapest mac which I think costs 1500? Maybe 5/6 years ago macs represented better value for money. But they've really pushed the price up in recent years. I mean one of em costs 1700 quid. You could buy two quality fucking 700 quid laptops in 10 years and it'd still be cheaper.
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

it's worth also bearing in mind that, in those 10 years, your aging apple laptop has become more and more obsolete.

I should add, though, that i'm really saddened by the trend towards continually throwing technology away in order to have the newest greatest thing... especially since all of these things are chock full of unpleasant chemicals and the construction of their components creates an ever increasing pile of toxic sludge.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

It depends though, if you were using for work as say a dj, as in a proper dj, not pop music shite, like if you were playing a proper club, it's Apple all day long, but for an all round machine, of course laptop.