Legend

2 months ago

7-2 Villa :))

At least we're shite, Liverpool are the reigning champions
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

City have already conceded 5 this season

Why are defences so shit? Is it fitness? Is it cos of modern attacking football?
bman2
Legend

2 months ago

Sid wrote:
2 months ago

Why are defences so shit? Is it fitness? Is it cos of modern attacking football?
There's a fixation on playing out from the back now. And teams seem unable to mix it up by going long if it's not working out well and the other side is on top of them. The the panic sets in, the give the ball away even more in dangerous positions, and you get a rout.
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
Sid wrote:
2 months ago

There's a fixation on playing out from the back now. And teams seem unable to mix it up by going long if it's not working out well and the other side is on top of them. The the panic sets in, the give the ball away even more in dangerous positions, and you get a rout.
Yeah the absolute commitment to attacking football on the deck is a reason. But this was the case last season and teams never got beaten up like this. City shipping 5, United 6, Liverpool 7 - after just 3/4 games. Everton have scored 24 goals in all comps. Fitness has to be an issue. I keep hearing 'we defend as a team', and cos the team isn't fit yet, they can't defend.
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

Some of the hidings being dished out will scar managers and clubs. Since Barca lost 8-2 they've ripped everything up and started again. The 6-1 loss to City still hurts Fergie. Mourinho was never the same after Poch's Spurs put 5 past em. His record away against the top 6 after that was pathetic for many years. And then the boards of these clubs - they won't like getting smashed.

If it carries on we might even see the beginning of a major change from modern attacking football led by Klopp, Guardiola and Poch to something more conservative again like the Jose, Rafa and Allardyce era of old
fat maradona
Star Man

2 months ago

bman2 wrote:
2 months ago
Sid wrote:
2 months ago

Me and my mate were discussing this yesterday as we watched the game. There is too much emphasis on playing out from the back and tbh, there aren''t many defenders in the league who are good enough. My mate said whatever happened to playing a longer ball, taking out the oppo's attackers/midfielders who are pressing them, and relieving the pressure. You can see with us, panic sets in quite quickly.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

I think its a combination of things. The playing out from the back thing is definitely a huge factor. Pep started it really - to the extent its used now. But he had a freak group of players at Barca whose technical ability and understanding of each others positioning and awareness, was almost subliminal. Everyone is trying to follow suit and games become stretched. Throw in the growing number of teams who press high, and higher scoring games are inevitable. To Sid's point though, we didn't see the sort of scorelines we're seeing now, last season. I think it comes down to 2 things - fitness, and empty grounds. I think the empty ground thing might be a factor in terms of games feeling more like training sessions than actual premier league games. Maybe its effecting the focus of some players.
fat maradona
Star Man

1 month ago

Looks like Arsenal will sign Partey for around €50m (£45m). It's obvious to the blind man and his dog that United are in urgent need of someone like him to protect that back 4.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
Looks like Arsenal will sign Partey for around €50m (£45m). It's obvious to the blind man and his dog that United are in urgent need of someone like him to protect that back 4.
There are so many deals being done at sensible prices this summer, that would have been ideal for us.