Other Teams' Stuff

Non-United football chat
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
I think its a combination of things. The playing out from the back thing is definitely a huge factor. Pep started it really - to the extent its used now. But he had a freak group of players at Barca whose technical ability and understanding of each others positioning and awareness, was almost subliminal. Everyone is trying to follow suit and games become stretched. Throw in the growing number of teams who press high, and higher scoring games are inevitable. To Sid's point though, we didn't see the sort of scorelines we're seeing now, last season. I think it comes down to 2 things - fitness, and empty grounds. I think the empty ground thing might be a factor in terms of games feeling more like training sessions than actual premier league games. Maybe its effecting the focus of some players.
Yeah I’ve heard it suggested that without supporters, players are more willing to try things, as you’re not going to get all the boos and groans if it doesn’t come off.

Interesting if it ends up being kind of an equalizer, with the big clubs not getting the benefit of their big stadiums full of supporters, intimidating the refs and the opposing team.
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

These guys get paid obscene amounts of money for what they do. Nothing should be a ‘training game’ irrespective of how full the stadium is.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

About playing out from the back... Liverpool, City, Leeds etc have played that way for years and not been smashed. That alone doesn't account for the incomprehensibly shite defending we're seeing.

Empty grounds is definitely a factor. I'd not considered that. There's less oomph without 30-70k fans cheering you on. Does anyone else think the games are slower too? There's a pointlessness about them as if the players are struggling to get up for it.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Anybody watching the scouse derby? Pickford has just put in a horrendous leg breaker on Van Dyjk and got away with it cos Van Dyjk was offside. Madness.

Pickford is shite. I called it from day one like with Hart. And to think Jose was gonna sign the cunt. Imagine him, Maguire and Lindelhoof in our defence.
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

Definitely should have been red.
Thiago settled in well!
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

What's happened at Spurs? All of a sudden they look a proper side.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Levy has made some great signings considering they're financially hamstrung. But they were CL finalists remember. Jose just lowered expectations and got everyone thinking they're relegation fodder. But they've only played one good team so far, Everton, and lost. Hammering Plovdiv means jack.

Arsenal are interesting n all. Really solid. That might be the difference this season. I can't see them shipping 5/6/7 like us, City and Liverpool.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
Ignore me
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
1 month ago
Ignore me
:))

Winning the league this season is gonna come down to who defends the best. It might not be any of the usual suspects.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 month ago

Aye it could be someone from left field who wins it. Personally I can’t see beyond Liverpool tbh. Not unless Allison and Dijk, and maybe one of their full backs picks up a longer term injury.