[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Marco Van Basten.."Rule changes?" - United Rant

Marco Van Basten.."Rule changes?"

Non-United football chat

Moderators: Alfonso Bedoya, brianofnazarethffs

HARRY
Legend

Marco Van Basten.."Rule changes?"

Postby HARRY » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Just wondering what others are making of FIFA technical director Van Basten's proposals to make changes in the game. He's all for scrapping the offside rule...(One ive been in favour of for years) and scrapping penalty shootouts and opting for players to dribble the ball from 25 yards out and has 8 seconds to score.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 34186.html
"Hi guys...weekends here again. Hope youve all earned a few quid!!".

pint vulger
Legend

Re: Marco Van Basten.."Rule changes?"

Postby pint vulger » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Harry at last someone who agrees with me regarding offside,it plays no part in the modern game ,what is it all about ? Trusting a half fit amateur running along the line ,often too far away from the action ,if his view is not obstructed and not half as fast as the athletes, and GUESSING whether someone is a toe nail offside,its fucking hilarious,the WC ,CL ,PL final can be decided on this !
I often raise it in the boozer to create the debate and I have yet to hear one sensible argument in retaining it.
Moreover esp in Amateur football with no linesmen where its just pot luck .
Will it happen ,will it fuck refs/ blazers run the game and want more control not less.

Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

Postby Alfonso Bedoya » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:10 pm

I can't see how scrapping the offside rule would work... it would dramatically change the way the game is played... there'd be panic in the back line, and it would become a game that favoured speed over skill... might as well sign Bolt...

I like his 8 second penalty idea though... and you just can't disagree with him that football is being ruined by money...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

Snoopcousins
Legend

Postby Snoopcousins » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Would it not just open the pitch right up?
You'd have teams keeping their defense in their own 18 yard line and rest of the players would have the whole pitch....
Don't think it would work tho.....I think it would just make the smaller teams really park the bus even more.

Would be interesting to see it tested somewhere for a season
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

Postby Alfonso Bedoya » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:26 pm

"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

HARRY
Legend

Postby HARRY » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Indeed. Going back to the mid 90's I ended up sat next to ex Everton and City player Neil Pointon on a flight to Barbados. We spoke at length about mostly football, and the offside thing did rear its ugly head. I remember asking him his thoughts on it and to be fair he was rather none plus about it. Bearing in mind it caused a lot less fuss back then compared to now. But there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it hinders the game more than helps it.

I'd argue over a season that probably 50% of decisions are correct. That's not nearly good enough. And to use video replay evidence would be expensive and time consuming. And not forgetting whats at stake these days, some of the decisions are extremely costly. Case in point though there are hundreds is the Paul Scholes offside against Porto at O.T in 2004. Probably one of the worst decisions ever. The linesman who flagged it got a six month ban from top tier games. It was no consolation to United though because Porto scored a last minute goal to knock us out.

http://www.sidelinesoccer.com/history-o ... fside-rule

Players and managers alike have complained for years about just how much quicker the game is today and that the officials are struggling to keep up. Though it wasn't offside related. The goal that never was at Anfield against Chelsea in the Champions league is another case of calamity. The ref was nowhere near it so he turned to his linesman for a call. He decided it was over the line. But on video play back he was'nt anywhere near the line and Chelsea called him out on it. He said he gave the goal "Because of the crowds reaction, it must have been over the line??". The Dippers went on to win it. The Linesman got a ban. Tough shit on Chelsea.

But on the offside thing, its positively ridiculous that players are getting done these days by literally a toenail which obviously they cant do, so it proves that there is far too much guess work.

I think we've seen the last of decisions like this thank fuck!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clDgKBosAGk

Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

Postby Alfonso Bedoya » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Yeah, but that's a different argument Harry... it's not the rule that's the problem, it's that refs are fucking it up... I agree that these mistakes can have a critical impact on the result, but that doesn't make the rule itself bad for the game... the offside rule prevents teams from just leaving a striker down the pitch waiting for a long punt... how about to counter that, we let the keeper catch the ball anywhere in his own half?

For me, the solution is clear... not necessarily popular, but clear... we need to bring in extensive video help, and we need to put the game properly on the clock as well... ball out-clock stops, ball in-clcok starts... no more added time...

I don't like his sin-bin idea either... some managers would use that as a tactic, a calculated foul... overly aggressive tackle on the star player, just to shake him up, or maybe even force him from the game, take the foul, hold out for 10 minutes, then back to full strength...

Snoopcousins
Legend

Postby Snoopcousins » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:09 pm

IMO the best thing would be that there just has to be CLEAR daylight between the attacker and defender....as in any doubt and the attacker gets the benefit
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

HARRY
Legend

Postby HARRY » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Two prime examples today yet again. Wes Morgan scores own goal for Leicester but ruled out for offside which it wasn't. Koscienly for Arsenal clearly in an offside position and wins a penalty. No brainer offside, no flag. Its never ending. Instead of complicating matters with video play back why not just get rid of it? If teams want to leave goal hangers way up the pitch it means they'll be thin on the ground everywhere else which in turn means the others will have to work even harder, and that simply isn't going to happen. Coming up with countless remedies is great, but it cures nothing. Just moves it on to somewhere else. Everything else has been tried in the last 100 hundred years and its still failing miserably. There is still no credible argument to keep it. I think what they should try is bringing the 18 yard box line the whole width of the pitch, but you can only be offside inside it not outside of it. That would cut the problem down dramatically and help the game to keep flowing. And obviously cut down on the amount of piss poor decisions.

HARRY
Legend

Postby HARRY » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Return to “Anything But United”