Americans crash FIFA party

Non-United football chat
Spudiator
Star Man

4 years ago

Vladimir Putin having his say, from BBC Sportsday Live:
Russian president Vladimir Putin has laced up his size nines and careered into the Fifa farrago. Safe to say he's not exactly enamoured by the actions of the USA...

"It looks very strange, the arrests are carried out on the request of the USA side - it's got nothing to do with the USA," he told Russian state television. "It's another clear attempt by the USA to spread its jurisdiction to other states. And I have no doubt - it's a clear attempt not to allow Mr Blatter to be re-elected as president of FIFA."
He's got a point about America trying to police the whole world, but let's face it, that's not why he's got an interest in this really, he probably knows as well as we all do that Russia's own part in this whole scandal is bound to end up being uncovered.
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

Spudiator wrote:Vladimir Putin having his say, from BBC Sportsday Live:
Russian president Vladimir Putin has laced up his size nines and careered into the Fifa farrago. Safe to say he's not exactly enamoured by the actions of the USA...

"It looks very strange, the arrests are carried out on the request of the USA side - it's got nothing to do with the USA," he told Russian state television. "It's another clear attempt by the USA to spread its jurisdiction to other states. And I have no doubt - it's a clear attempt not to allow Mr Blatter to be re-elected as president of FIFA."
He's got a point about America trying to police the whole world, but let's face it, that's not why he's got an interest in this really, he probably knows as well as we all do that Russia's own part in this whole scandal is bound to end up being uncovered.

Nah that cunts more Teflon than Blatter
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

I thought there was some Team America world policing going on, but in my ignorance I didn't realize that the CONCACAF HQ was in Miami. That gives US federal prosecutors more than ample jurisdiction. It also explains why they haven't put their fingers on Blatter's collar yet, because this first wave of crimes is probably all America-centric and doesn't directly touch him. But it's a classic conspiracy situation, the people they sweep up will spill the beans on everyone they can to save themselves, plus the Swiss have raided FIFA HQ directly. That's what will really have Blatter shitting himself, his home country's authorities are hanging him out to dry.

It's one of those situations which in hindsight is already starting to seem inevitable. The FIFA guys were so fucking disconnected from reality, they made their corruption so unbelievably blatant in recent years, with the Qatar thing really just taking the piss. They took it to the point where they were just an embarrassment to the Swiss government and everybody they came into contact with. They could have kept the gravy train rolling for years more if they could have just reined it in a little bit. Now they're royally fucked. There's blood in the water and great PR to made, every country's prosecutors are going to get in on the act. It'll be like banging up pedos, every cop and prosecutor wants that photo op.

Be interesting to see if there are any ramifications for club football. Investigation of the Russian and Qatari bids might reveal connections there, if you know what I mean.
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

Sid's probably right about the US World Cup though. I wonder if there's a 20 statute of limitations on some of these crimes, could be that the US prosecutors dragged things out a bit so that they could promise their own political masters that they wouldn't start pissing in their own pool. After all, if busting white collar criminals was really a top priority, there are a lot more candidates back home in New York.
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

The Yanks are going back to 1991 which would pre date their World Cup plus its the Swiss investigating the bids, not America, they are going after the money trail so it'll probably end with two investigations with the American one criss crossing with the Swiss one when they get to 2018 and 2022's bids.

Blatter has been living in Switzerland so long and he's an old fucker, he grew up during the age when you couldn't touch/trace any dodgy dealings, Swiss bank accounts, safety deposit boxes, the Swiss have moved on, he obviously hasn't in his Ivory tower.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:
marlon wrote:Sid's right. If they were hosting world cup this wouldn't be happening. Take what we can get though
Notice how the corruption charges the Americans are putting forward only go back 20 years?

That's because the yanks hosted it the World Cup in 94, and it would mean investigating and revealing the inevitable corruption involved in their bid

So their limit ia 20 years, nothing earlier, otherwise it gets awkward for them and they lose the narrative that we play by the rules and nobody else does
Fuckin hell Sid... can you not see that there is 2 different levels of corruption at work here?? I can hear you now laughing like that's a daft statement, but it's not... there probably isn't a single sport, big money sport, in the world that isn't being manipulated, and corrupted for one reason or another... the Olympics, boxing, cricket, baseball, basketball, etc, etc... if it's not match fixing, it's gambling, or drug offences, or youth trading, or whatever... there's somebody backhanding someone else somewhere for something... the bigger the sport, the bigger the problem... football is full of it, and no ones hands are clean... but there's the wheeling and dealing that's been going on for decades, ever since the WC became a global money machine...the ego stroking, wining and dining, present buying, political favouritisms, all the stuff that's rife in every single big sporting event, the Olympics is probably even worse for this shit...

And then there's FIFA... listening to you right now, you'd think FIFA is being persecuted by the real villains here, the British and the Yanks...

First of all, it's not just the British and the Americans who are driving this... there are a lot of FAs who have been calling for something like this for years, and years... the only ones not complaining, are the countries directly benefitting from Blatters rule... what's going on in Qatar, and the migrant worker deaths, is a far worse issue than the possible snidey agenda of our FA and it's push to hold the tournament... regardless, the Germans, the French, the Italians, the Australians, and many others would all love to see FIFA torn down and rebuilt...

But as far as blaming the Americans... I've no doubt they've got their own agenda, but the reason they're heading this investigation is because they are the only country who have the legal system to make this work... whether you agree with it or not, the American approach to evidence, and specifically plea bargaining gives them an advantage, that apparently other countries don't have... but that doesn't mean they're on their own... if you've been following this you'd see that, it's because of this system that all the other concerned FAs have been working with the Americans to make this raid happen... and I don't think any of this would have happened if the Yanks hadn't caught one of their own, neck deep in it...

I don't think American "soccer" is going to benefit from this directly, so I'm not exactly sure what their agenda is, but sometimes you just have to accept that good things can come from even the worst villains and their selfish motives... in the end, it's the change that matters... whatever happens, I can guarantee, there isn't an FA anywhere that isn't sweating on what's going to come out here, including ours...

And I don't really care at this point... usually in situations like this, the cunts at the top slither away, while some no mark lackey carries all the blame... it seems, (hopefully) that for once, it's the cunts at the top who are being dragged out into the light, and if that happens then football is going to shake to its very core... and there won't be an FA anywhere that isn't affected... real change was never going to happen until FIFA was sorted out...

I really don't see, how you can't see, that this can only be a good thing...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

Spudiator wrote:Vladimir Putin having his say, from BBC Sportsday Live:

The Americans are "policing" this, because they have the opportunity/jurisdiction that other countries don't...

And as for the Americans covering their own tracks, there's nothing stopping Russia, Qatar, or Blatter for that matter conducting their own investigation to show the Americans up as hypocrites, and just as guilty as anyone, and in fact, if/when all this goes to court, you can be damned sure that they will attempt to do just that...

I've got no love for Americans at all, but this is one case where I'm backing them all the way... as long as it's thorough and transparent!
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Lazarus
Legend

4 years ago

So David Gill is supposed to take over tomorrow as vice-chairman from Jim Boyce (dickhead)........

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 59685.html
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

The politics are fascinating really. The African and Asian federations are publicly backing Blatter and accusing UEFA/USA of Western arrogance. Putin getting on the same train. I suppose UEFA are backing this Jordanian guy for that reason, probably pushed the likes of Platini and Figo to bow out of the race.

I'd say if the vote goes ahead and Blatter is re-elected, Visa will formally cut ties. A financial firm can't be sponsoring an entity synonymous with financial malfeasance. That would put a lot of pressure on other sponsors to do likewise.
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

Wouldn't the asian federations back Prince Ali too?