v Newcastle

Forum for match day threads
RobDiablo
Legend

7 years ago

Here’s an analogy to help you understand:

The Glazers decided to get into Formula 1, and bought the best car along with one of the all-time best drivers in racing. Unfortunately, the Glazers couldn’t really afford the purchase and had problems in their other businesses that required that a large portion of the winnings from racing be redirected elsewhere. This, in turn, made the introduction of cost-cutting measures necessary. Not changing the tires as often as before and trying to refuel only when it was absolutely needed made things more difficult for the driver, but his skill was such that he could usually procure a win anyway. The decision to stop changing the oil, however, had made things so difficult that the driver, knowing he had won his last race more by luck than skill, decided to walk away. The replacement driver immediately noticed that the oil needed changing, and the Glazers promised to do so, but instead of buying quality racing oil, they bought one can of Fellainiol, an additive that did not perform as advertised. Is it any wonder that the engine finally seized?

In what part of this story do you detect astute business acumen? I can’t see anything other than opportunistic greed being compounded by ignorance.
Last edited by RobDiablo on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

7 years ago

The rot set in the summer that we sold Ronaldo and Tevez and replaced them with Valencia, Owen and Obertan. That was a statement of intent about our future.

We've been to 1 CL final since, but look at who we beat along the way. Marseille, a Chelsea in turmoil and Schalke. As soon as we came up against a side of real quality (Barca) we were handed our arse.

We've limped by during the last 4 years because the relative quality/stability of other clubs has wavered. To a point, you can 'understand' the Glazers reluctance to spend big because we were still competing for trophies, but the majority of reds and people through the game could see the drop in quality. We've been far from convincing for a while and a culmination of dross and the genuine class players who've carried us falling over the hill, plus a manager whose out of his depth is bringing it home to roost.

Fergie is as culpable as the Glazers.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

7 years ago

Anantax wrote:
Hmmm...again I am not fans of Glazers by any means but to be fair, since the takeover Utd has won 5 titles in 8 seasons and have been in 3 CL finals.
FFS... that's one of those often repeated stats that cunts like Alan Sugar like to spew out, and then call United fans ungrateful...

Look... the Glazers stole United, what, 7/8 years ago?

You need to look at the squad we had the first few years of the Glazers, when we had the likes of Van Nistlerooy, Ronaldo, van der Sar, Keane, and the likes of Rooney, Scholes, Giggs, Rio, Vidic, Evra were a lot younger than they are now.

And then ask what have the Glazers done since then to contribute to ANY success we've had.
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Anantax
Legend

7 years ago

No I am not saying that Glazers contribute to United. Far from it. Which is why I keep saying some of the blame goes to them.

What I am saying is that, given the astounding level of success United has had since the takeover, most of the blame for not spending to rebuild falls on Ferguson and the board.

Here's my logic:

Glazers are businessman. They are not football lovers or football experts. They have no particular love or affinity for United (guessing this is one of the big reasons why we hate them)
As businessmen, they will not spend unless they feel they have to.
Given the level of success (which fairly is due to Fergie) they will only feel they have to unless prompted by the manager and the board.
While I am not certain, my guess would be that nobody really pushed the rebuilding agenda. That wouldve leaked to the media.

Thus, the football men in the board is as culpable, if not even more so, than the Glazers
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

7 years ago

Anantax wrote:No I am not saying that Glazers contribute to United. Far from it. Which is why I keep saying some of the blame goes to them.

What I am saying is that, given the astounding level of success United has had since the takeover, most of the blame for not spending to rebuild falls on Ferguson and the board.

Here's my logic:

Glazers are businessman. They are not football lovers or football experts. They have no particular love or affinity for United (guessing this is one of the big reasons why we hate them)
As businessmen, they will not spend unless they feel they have to.
Given the level of success (which fairly is due to Fergie) they will only feel they have to unless prompted by the manager and the board.
While I am not certain, my guess would be that nobody really pushed the rebuilding agenda. That wouldve leaked to the media.

Thus, the football men in the board is as culpable, if not even more so, than the Glazers
OK, the problem with that argument is the evidence.

Before the Glazers... we had no debts, and Ferguson never balked at the price of a player, regularly breaking the English transfer record... and we played football that excited and matched the quality of players we signed.

Since the Glazers... we have massive, non football related debts, and Ferguson suddenly became thrifty about the money he spent, spouting the now familiar, "no value", bollocks, and instead of fixing weaknesses in the squad with top players, he started bodging teams, by using players out of position... and the quality of football has steadily become functional and boring...

Now, go on... tell me I'm wrong, and the Glazers aren't the REAL MAJOR PROBLEM!

Oh, and one more thing... the Glazers moved all the financial workings of United to a protected safe haven in the States... specifically to keep their activities away from scrutiny by the media...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Spudiator
Star Man

7 years ago

For all the talk of United's success since the Glazers' takeover, I would say that success was in spite of their presence, not because of it.
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

7 years ago

Twisted Blood wrote:
Agree. The sky is falling crowd have been wrong up till now. Businessmen invest in their business. The transfer windows will tell......

LOL... how fuckin deluded are you?

"The sky is falling crowd", have been exactly right... what football club have you been following?

The Glazers have never invested PROPERLY in this business!

And every transfer window so far has been an example of this!

I don't think I've ever read a more completely ridiculous post on this forum.

Give yourself a big slap in the face, and wake up... you're off with the faeries Mate.

My point Alf was that they will invest to keep it afloat and the success of the past 7 years proves the sky is falling crowd are wrong. RVP, Berbatov, Tevez, Valencia. Did I imagine them? Oh we were never going to buy anyone over 26. Oh wait, the PIK debt was going to ruin us. Someone who lives with the fairies would deny any of that success had ever happened or that under different ownership it would be spending all excess revenue on players. Not dividends, not taxes, not perks, not anything else. Talk about fantasyland.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

7 years ago

Twisted Blood wrote:Twisted Blood wrote:
My point Alf was that they will invest to keep it afloat and the success of the past 7 years proves the sky is falling crowd are wrong. RVP, Berbatov, Tevez, Valencia. Did I imagine them? Oh we were never going to buy anyone over 26. Oh wait, the PIK debt was going to ruin us. Someone who lives with the fairies would deny any of that success had ever happened or that under different ownership it would be spending all excess revenue on players. Not dividends, not taxes, not perks, not anything else. Talk about fantasyland.
That's bollocks. The success of the last 7 years occurred because of the foundations that were laid pre-glazer. It took time for our world class players to age past their prime. Every last drop of their shelf life was squeezed out of them, without players of a similar calibre coming in to pick up the mantle and what we're seeing now is the result.

The quality of our performances has steadily diminished over the last 4 years and only the ineptitude of others in the PL prevented this from being shown. Only a hungry Van Persie salvaged something last year.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

7 years ago

Twisted Blood wrote:
Yeah, you reason it out anyway you like...

Nearly 10 years since they came, and you roll out what, 4/5/6 relatively expensive signings??? considering how much money United generates, that's not much, and when stacked up against the sale of Ronaldo alone, looks completely ridiculous... but hey... if it's good enough for you...

And considering how many of our current players were here when the Glazers took over, and still haven't been replaced, even though they're so obviously past it... but then, I guess you're happy with the squad we've got... Cleverly, Anderson, Young, Valencia, Buttner, Lindegard... these players doin it for you, yes? And what the hell, we should be able to squeeze a few more years out of Giggs, Carrick, Vidic, Rio, Evra...

Sorry... I was mistaken... all is fine...
Snoopcousins
Legend

7 years ago

Twisted Blood wrote:Twisted Blood wrote:
Agree. The sky is falling crowd have been wrong up till now. Businessmen invest in their business. The transfer windows will tell......

LOL... how fuckin deluded are you?

"The sky is falling crowd", have been exactly right... what football club have you been following?

The Glazers have never invested PROPERLY in this business!

And every transfer window so far has been an example of this!

I don't think I've ever read a more completely ridiculous post on this forum.

Give yourself a big slap in the face, and wake up... you're off with the faeries Mate.

Oh dear....I have a feeling you are going to get raped for saying that!

Do you really think Valencia and the rest were adequate for Man Utd over the last 7 years?
Who was the last BIG signing we out-competed the big clubs for? RVP was an exception and was an EASY signing.

It's obvious we have been getting weaker and weaker since the Glazers took over...when really out squad should have been getting stronger.

Alf is right... the Glazers have ruined out transfer policies with even Fergie having to pretend there's no value in market shite.

I know too many fuckers who spout the same shit you do about the success under Glazers but that is just so uneducated. Most on here have seen this coming and would have happened with or without Fergir retiring. It's just been accelerated with the management staff changes.
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018