vs Huddersfield Town

Forum for match day threads
madmax
Star Man

10 months ago

Fine win. Defence looks poor but fuck it. We are exciting to watch again.
And City lost again too. :ymparty:
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

10 months ago

My old man has been taken ill in hospital on Christmas eve so been a bit manic and I didn't get chance to watch the game... can someone summarise for me?? Good to watch? Attacking?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars
sheesh
Legend

10 months ago

brianofnazarethffs wrote:
10 months ago
My old man has been taken ill in hospital on Christmas eve so been a bit manic and I didn't get chance to watch the game... can someone summarise for me?? Good to watch? Attacking?
Sorry to hear about your Dad, Bri. I hope he's OK.

I was at the game today. Huddersfield had an incredible chance to score in the first half but we looked fairly comfortable, apart from that. The players played with intensity, moved the ball well and created a few chances. Angel Gomes came on - I'd like to see more of this kid.

Randomly saw Paddy Crerand outside the SAF stand before the game. He was chatting to fans and getting pictures taken. I had a quick word with him myself. What a lovely guy - it was just like talking to another fan. He was so down to earth. He was pleased that we've changed things up at managerial level.
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

sheesh wrote:
10 months ago
10 months ago
Sorry to hear about your Dad, Bri. I hope he's OK.

I was at the game today. Huddersfield had an incredible chance to score in the first half but we looked fairly comfortable, apart from that. The players played with intensity, moved the ball well and created a few chances. Angel Gomes came on - I'd like to see more of this kid.

Randomly saw Paddy Crerand outside the SAF stand before the game. He was chatting to fans and getting pictures taken. I had a quick word with him myself. What a lovely guy - it was just like talking to another fan. He was so down to earth. He was pleased that we've changed things up at managerial level.
Was there a lot more movement off the ball? Looks like it
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

10 months ago
Sorry to hear that. We started slow because we struggled with Huddersfield's press and quick attack. You can tell Wagner used to be Klopps assistant. Fred and Mata were rusty as fuck as well. But we gradually played ourselves into form and played some good stuff. Second goal was class. There was more movement, forward balls, attacking runners.

I just think in this game it was evident that Jose has built a defensive, reactive team, and they struggle to deal with teams that attack and press. Jose would have dropped points against em. At very least they'd have dominated us like Wolves and Derby did.
sheesh
Legend

10 months ago

I wouldn't say we were as fluid as we were against Cardiff, but we still moved the ball around quickly and with purpose (instead of holding onto the ball for the sake of it).
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

10 months ago
Hey chap. I hope things are on the mend there and, at the very least, you're at one with things. Hope you had as good a Christmas as you could have had under the circumstances.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Sid wrote:
10 months ago
I just think in this game it was evident that Jose has built a defensive, reactive team, and they struggle to deal with teams that attack and press. Jose would have dropped points against em. At very least they'd have dominated us like Wolves and Derby did.
I think a lot of the issues we saw today are a result of a sea change in philosophy and that you can't really expect a bunch of players who have been tactically lobotomised to suddenly remember how they really want to play. The fact we've had two good - and convincing, regardless - results is a good sign for the future.

I also think a lot of out defensive frailty, especially with set pieces, is that they've been straightjacketed into zonal marking for a few seasons now and i'm pretty sure that's not going to be Ole's approach given his pedigree. There's going to be a bit of need to retrain them there and, in some ways, all over the pitch.

I think, also, you start to see Pogba shine a bit now simply because he's actually got two or three people to pass to ahead of him that aren't just the diagonal ball to a wingback (who similarly, won't find anyone else has gone forward). He actually looked knackered prior to his second goal and you've got to give it to him because he put a proper shift in.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

10 months ago

Thanks for the kind wishes all! Appreciate it. Hopefully he's out tomorrow!

Sounds like the players felt some pressure with the first game at OT since Ole's return, keen to score 10 goals and everyone expected a rout! Easily a game we would've dropped points under Jose.

Will watch the game re-run on MUTV!

Hope you're all enjoying the holidays!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

10 months ago

Best wishes to your old man Bri

Just watched the 30 min highlights on Sky.

The difference in intent and attitude is palpable. Even Matic is on the front foot, pressing, looking to pass forward. There’s still flakiness at the back but the starting position of every player is 10-15 yards further toward. The full backs are 25 yards higher. Everything is quicker and has a sense of purpose. Pogba looks much better in this sort of setup and I think Sanchez will be the same.

You can tell the players feel liberated. They enjoyed it.